Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Went out today to enjoy the sun and drifted around for some bottom fish, no luck with the fish but got 4 nice dungies. Pretty nice weather out there too. My day ended with a good laugh too. Back at Esquimalt Anglers launch cleaning our crab and three guys in mid twenties were taking turns on a PWC. It was apparent right away that they were not from around here. They were oooing and ahhhhing at the crab we were cleaning, and freaking out over the seal that was hanging around. They also proceeded to take quick spins on the PWC in jeans, t shirts, sunnies, and cell phones. I guess they wanted the phone in case it stalled out there, which happened almost every time when they let the revs drop down at the dock. Before loading it onto the trailer, one guy decides to show off a bit and cranks the handle bars and throttles it......well, it didn't work out for him. He was tossed from it. Lots of people around cracking up while he tries to hold his phone out of the water and swim back to the dock with the upside down seadoo. Well he made it back but his phone didn't fair so well. Noticed on my way by that the plate on their car was ONTARIO. haha. It all makes sense now. THis old guy that was watching says to me "this aint no lake" I reply with a "definitely not!" and we both laugh.

Out at Constance for salmon and had four on, all on glow hootchies and squirts just off the bottom. All four appeared to be typical US Hatchery Fish. Got one clipped Chinook in whole. Got the jaws and part of the head of 2 more in thanks to seals. Lost the 4th one because it was being horsed in thanks to seals. Some wicked current and tide rips out there today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out today to enjoy the sun and drifted around for some bottom fish, no luck with the fish but got 4 nice dungies. Pretty nice weather out there too. My day ended with a good laugh too. Back at Esquimalt Anglers launch cleaning our crab and three guys in mid twenties were taking turns on a PWC. It was apparent right away that they were not from around here. They were oooing and ahhhhing at the crab we were cleaning, and freaking out over the seal that was hanging around. They also proceeded to take quick spins on the PWC in jeans, t shirts, sunnies, and cell phones. I guess they wanted the phone in case it stalled out there, which happened almost every time when they let the revs drop down at the dock. Before loading it onto the trailer, one guy decides to show off a bit and cranks the handle bars and throttles it......well, it didn't work out for him. He was tossed from it. Lots of people around cracking up while he tries to hold his phone out of the water and swim back to the dock with the upside down seadoo. Well he made it back but his phone didn't fair so well. Noticed on my way by that the plate on their car was ONTARIO. haha. It all makes sense now. THis old guy that was watching says to me "this aint no lake" I reply with a "definitely not!" and we both laugh.

Very funny story Dave. Goofballs always strike out eventually.....LOL

DFO regulations: When transporting a recreationally-caught crab, the carapace (shell) must
remain attached to the body of the crab until consumed or it arrives at a
person’s ordinary residence. It is prohibited to have shelled or shucked crab
in your possession, except at your ordinary residence.

One of the more common violations.

Hey everyone. I'm new here. Can anyone tell me where to catch crab out at the waterfront? I've heard about the gravel pit? Thanks.

sun produced one small hatch out at connie for myself/partner.wicked tides.then a nice 14lb hatch of the flag pole in shore.chovie behind purple haze flasher,both fish.85ft.no seals for the first time in a long time!!!!

tight lines cold beer!

Went out for a quick fish from 430 to 730. Got 7 to the boat from 6-16lbs. First time out fishing in the boat since the new crate motor! Sure was an amazing night. Was glass calm but currents were ripping, had to keep running back every 30 mins and do another pass. Had two double headers

Fished off Discovery this am for halibut. Got one around 40, BUT the dogs moved in and we really had trouble keeping bait in the water.
Could be tough for the Halibut Derby this weekend! Will need lots of bait if the dogs are as bad as where were were.

Went out for a quick fish from 430 to 730. Got 7 to the boat from 6-16lbs. First time out fishing in the boat since the new crate motor! Sure was an amazing night. Was glass calm but currents were ripping, had to keep running back every 30 mins and do another pass. Had two double headers

Nice; and good luck tomorrow! Hopefully the Hali are as plentiful. Your pick up and run back worked last time I was fishing with you. Starting to wonder why more don't do it. You cover way more water that way.

Wow what a beautiful day our there yesterday! JuandeOne and I fished Constance for few hours picked up 2 hatchery springs, one around 18 lbs. Bouncing bottom using the hootchie squirts. No seals out there this time for a welcome change. Crabbing was very low by Royal Roads as there were two commies out there working hard. Ya think they would fish during the weekdays and leave the weekends to the sporties?

Hey Whole in the Water, I think you got the fish I was looking for. I was the other tinny you dropped in beside near the freighters. I thought I recognized your boat but couldn't figure out from where, then I saw your picture here today. I ran into Craven at the Cattle Point ramp too. It's good to see we are getting our time on he water instead of spending all our time on the forum.

We picked up some 8lb cookie cutters and lost a few more on squirts. Their bellies were full of huge needlefish and some little squid.

I think the sunshine and beer were the key to our success. Great day on the water.

Fished Sat am, but didn't enter the Derby. Three nice Hali's east of race. What a beautiful day! That weekend was just unreal weather-wise.

And not a single Dogfish! Did I die and go to heaven!?

funny thing about posting info

:DAfter the derby I fished Constance Monday and nadda, didn't see any flattys bonked either, on my way back to pedder I powerd past 8 boats on one hump east of race, couldn't figure that one out till I seen the last post, hahaha then it made me think wonder how long it will take for the flattys to come baack after that circle hook masacure.,

Back