Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

We Fished the South side of Constance today from 10am to 3pm and hooked up 6 times, and took 1 wild coho home. But, while hauling out at Flemming we talked to 2 other anglers that had fished the waterfront today. The first guys said they got into a TON of fish but didnt keep any, all feeder springs... take it for what its worth. The second set of guys had, 2 springs , 1 clip, 1 wild and 1 wild coho.. they also said they fished the breakwater from Clover point to Brochie and had a TON of action.
Normaly I don't pass on second hand reports, but I saw the guys fish, and for this late in October I'm not sure I've heard about the breakwater being this hot before.. any other reports would be great.

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
yes rgreen
it is not unusual to run into "tons" of feeder springs this time of the year, right thru the winter.
They generally run 4 to 6 pounds.
I would like to think most sport fishermen would not target these springs and let them grow to 15 to 25 pounds next year.
The next move by DFO may be to restrict this fishery of immature spring salmon.

Fish Oak Bay flats from 11-2 without a bite, moved to the waterfront til 5:00 still without any action. There was a number of boats fishing the flagpole this morning. Guess we should have stopped there if thats where the action was this morning, instead of carrying on to Oak Bay

Fished the waterfront on sat afternoon, close to constance. Had a few shakers, followed by a nice 8lb wild coho, then a 10+ wild coho which unfortunately had to be released..not bad for a few hours on the water in the evening. Coho killer silver and anchovies were the ticket, spoons produced nothing. Will be out there today in the evening again so hopefully can get a few more!

Out tonight 3-6pm to verify that earlier report. Hit 4 feeder springs 1 was legal size for sure the other 3 I would have had to measure. Released them all without harm. By the time the cohos are done these should be BBQ size.

hooked 2 wild coho about 8-10 lbs each in front of clover pt. today at around 80' in 170' of water, both on watermelon coyote spoon, about an hour apart

Was out this evening only for a few hours and only hooked a few shakers, was around constance but I hear people are having luck closer to shore?? Crabkiller how far out were you?

Was out this evening only for a few hours and only hooked a few shakers, was around constance but I hear people are having luck closer to shore?? Crabkiller how far out were you?

the coho action is straight south from Trial Island 1.5 to 2 miles in the tidelines 90 to 120 feet glowy hoochie and all the usual gear.

beemer

about a km or so in front of clover point .caught one there as soon as we dropped lines, then trolled over towards breakwater and back and caught the second and a couple shakers within 10 minutes in the same area on the way back through, unfortunately we were out of time and had to leave. I guess we should have stuck around clover area the whole time..we were only out for about an hour or so

Last edited by a moderator:
Back