Victoria reports Fall/Winter 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
halibut

yes,i have heard of quite a few halibut up here in victoria being caught this year while fishing down on the bottom for winters,,hopefully this is a good sign for things to come,,i will be out next saturday and sunday to try my luck,weather permitting of course

Started fishing at Mcauly point this morning but we were followed by a couple of seals. So we headed out to Constance Bank where we hit a 12, 10 and 6 and released 5 small springs as well as a bunch of small lings. Got the fish on anchovy, purple haze squirt, and a green speckled squirt. No seals. Then a nasty cold North wind came up so we left..

Had a real mix of weather today for sure, sun,wind & snow.
2- 7 lb springs on spoons and 8 - Dungeness crabs to finish off.

Crazy weather out there today for sure. I took a cruise up to Portage today with a couple bud's to drop in some herring curtains. Some chilly wind and snow along the way. Hope we get some eggs on the curtains we dropped.

FN0128-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Fraser River Chinook - Areas 19 and 20 - Recreational Management Actions

The Department is implementing management measures designed to reduce fishery
exploitation rates on Fraser River Spring 4-2 chinook in commercial,
recreational and First Nations fisheries. These Fraser River chinook stocks
begin returning through the Victoria Area in March. Management measures for
the recreational fishery in portions of Areas 19 and 20 are outlined below.
Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) members have been consulted on these
measures.

Effective March 1 until 23:59 hours Friday June 15, 2012, additional
recreational fishery restrictions on chinook salmon will be in effect in
Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5 (those waters near Victoria between
Cadboro Pt to Sheringham Pt.). During this time period and in this area the
daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be wild or hatchery
marked between the size limit of 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked only
chinook over 67 cm in length.

Consultations with the SFAB are ongoing.

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474) or at 604-666-2828.

Variation order 2012-77.

For more information contact Brad Beaith (250) 756-7190.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0128
Sent February 24, 2012 at 15:12
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fished the bank yesterday from 10-12 , the fishing was decent we kept our 4 fish let go a handfull and had some other bites. the fish were 5- 10lbs and all hatch jobs! squirts and spoons were both working good.

went over to esquimalt this morning at 6:30 am to meet my buddy to go out halibut fishing,,it was blowing out pretty good and was forcast to get worse,so we headed out to sidney where it was not suppose to blow,we went down to zero rock and anchored up there and fished till 1:30,,and yes it did blow.about 20-25 and some good wind gusts,probably about 30,,didn't get and fish but got 6 dungees over at sidney spit,,only one 18lb halibut reported in at that time,but there were still about 6 boats at zero rock area,,i guess i will try tomorrow to get out at esquimalt,

went out to albert head and dropped anchor at about 7:30,fished till 12:30 and not any hali's,,one dog fish,but got 8 dungy's from the inner harbour,heard of 2 hali's that came in at the same time from border bank and they also had their 4 salmon,so they had a great day

Creel guy reported only 6 halibut from Oak bay this afternoon, from at least 20 boats.
we had 3 -XL dogs, 1- sculpin, and 1- sole.
No hallie bites :(

4 haly for us this morn , largest 40ish lbs. Nice calm day for a change!! While I was cleaning fish I saw a guy with a low twenties hatchery spring!!! He got it in whirl bay , what a beauty !!

Yup Kelly you're right about that! Got two quick ones ourselves, (40,70) beats the chickens we usually get. Then dragged Connie for some hatch springs. Let one go about 14 lbs (sigh) and bonked 3 hatch around 7 lbs. traps were full of crabs too! Almost felt like a Renfrew trip!

Fished waterfront about 9 on sat. morning. Not much happening, no bait showing(we did here of a 13lber caught before we got there) So we went to Constance Bank. Pretty much same as 2 weeks ago only the fish were smaller, a 12 ,8, &6. Released about five or so small fish(no cod). Wicked current running when we got there but we waited it out. Bite came on about 12 and lasted about an hour and a half. Purple haze squirt and green and white squirt, anchovie did nothing. Interesting conversation on 68 between Canadian Warship 238 and another vessel. The Captain of the Warship was threatening to fire on the other vessel if he did not identify himself. Do'nt know if it was a drill or the real thing. They were about half a mile away from us so we decided to move away just in case. Did anyone else here this going on..

Fished waterfront about 9 on sat. morning. Not much happening, no bait showing(we did here of a 13lber caught before we got there) So we went to Constance Bank. Pretty much same as 2 weeks ago only the fish were smaller, a 12 ,8, &6. Released about five or so small fish(no cod). Wicked current running when we got there but we waited it out. Bite came on about 12 and lasted about an hour and a half. Purple haze squirt and green and white squirt, anchovie did nothing. Interesting conversation on 68 between Canadian Warship 238 and another vessel. The Captain of the Warship was threatening to fire on the other vessel if he did not identify himself. Do'nt know if it was a drill or the real thing. They were about half a mile away from us so we decided to move away just in case. Did anyone else here this going on..

I heard it as well. I'm pretty sure it was an exercise. If it wasn't we'd be reading about it in the papers. It was very interesting to listen to though.

"Interesting conversation on 68 between Canadian Warship 238 and another vessel. The Captain of the Warship was threatening to fire on the other vessel if he did not identify himself. Do'nt know if it was a drill or the real thing. They were about half a mile away from us so we decided to move away just in case. Did anyone else here this going on"
Yes a potential Chinese invasion was quashed by a quick thinking Canadian Navy Capt..the Chinese threatened to flood the Canadian market with cheap dollar store crap - the crisis was averted when the Canadian skipper offered the Chinese Capt. 2 flats of Canada's #1 beer(Lucky) from the Crew's mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Interesting conversation on 68 between Canadian Warship 238 and another vessel. The Captain of the Warship was threatening to fire on the other vessel if he did not identify himself. Do'nt know if it was a drill or the real thing. They were about half a mile away from us so we decided to move away just in case. Did anyone else here this going on"
Yes a potential Chinese invasion was quashed by a quick thinking Canadian Navy Capt..the Chinese threatened to flood the Canadian market with cheap dollar store crap - the crisis was averted when the Canadian skipper offered the Chinese Capt. 2 flats of Canada's #1 beer(Lucky) from the Crew's mess.

And then they nuked us for giving them **** beer ... something about licking butt to get that taste out of yer mouth

Imo boyz that was a fair exchange..i would of offered up a tanker load of leftovers from the Tar Sands tailing ponds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back