Victoria reports Fall/Winter 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Constance today from 815 to 1030 picked up 4 keepers from 6 to 10 lbs fishing mainly east side at 115 ft using purple haze hochie for 3 and army truck got one. No seals today, yesterday sealed once and we got 1 about 10 lbs same spot same time.

Fished the waterfront and Constance yesterday from dawn to 2:00. Slow going. Released 2 small ones and had two pin poppers which we never landed. All at Constance. Nothing on the waterfront. Some bait showing at Constance but nothing showing on the waterfront.

Another slow day Sunday, released a small one , bonked a 6.5 lb and a seal got the last one.
fished 3 hours for 3 bites.
slowest winter fishing i've seen in a few years.

Fishing on Friday 13th didn't start too well. Went to hook up the boat and some dick had slashed one of the tires on my truck. Had intentions of heading to Constance but main motor on boat was acting up, so played it safe and stayed on waterfront. Guess it paid off as we nabbed a scrappy 13lber just east of Brotchie. Still slow with only one other bite in 4 hrs. Saw a guy at the dock who got 2 around 10lbs off Brotchie.

Waterfront was lonely today. We were the only boat out there. Landed a 7 and an 8. Two other pin poppers and one lost to a seal. Absolutely no bait to be seen.

Yeah, we got out yesterday afternoon on the flats for about 2 hours -- tested out a new homemade "umbrella rig". 3 hookups all at about 120ft down. 2 on the umbrella rig, one on a flasher/coho killer combo. Only one other boat out there.

Slow on the waterfront yesterday. Lost one fish at the net. A bit better at Constance. Landed a pair of 8 pounders in an hour. Still no bait showing anywhere.

424734_10151242263385133_630230132_22725914_525177126_n.jpg

Couldn't find any salmon but enjoyed our time on the water. Trolled around between clover and odgen in about 200+ water. Few other boats out but didn't see any action. Was only out for a few hours in afternoon. Also dropped 2 crab traps in 60' of water across from odgen but came up empty. Any idea where to find them this time of year? Motor wasn't interested in idling. May need to try some new fuel.

Very slow winter fishing, picked up 2 yesterday nothing today...
crabbing has been great this weekend.
we pulled 8 both days.

Fished the Waterfront today from 8-3 and nothing. First trip of the year, mainly just wanted to check things out after all the work I did over the winter. Glad things ran as expected. To bad the fish weren't there but a nice day on the water.

Fished constance 8-noon. 1 in the bucket, 1 to a seal and 1 lost.
Did not mark any bait. Nice day on the water though.

Tips

Thanks R.S. Craven..Fished Constance Bank Sunday, played 9 fish only kept one @6lbs..Got sealed 3 times, tried Cravens idea, back off the drag slow boat down, no pressure on the fish let the seal eat and when hes done you get all your gear back. Worked 3 times in a row...

Thanks R.S. Craven..Fished Constance Bank Sunday, played 9 fish only kept one @6lbs..Got sealed 3 times, tried Cravens idea, back off the drag slow boat down, no pressure on the fish let the seal eat and when hes done you get all your gear back. Worked 3 times in a row...

Sorry to hear of your seal problems, but glad you saved your gear ! :)

Why not try and save your fish? What works well for us is to get your big motor going and keep the boat right over the seal so that it can not come up to breath and the seal has to let go of the spring and then you real it in as fast as you can ! By keeping consistence pressure on it the seal can not chew on it. You need two people in the boat really one on the wheel and one on the fish. Last season we saved three nice sized springs in a row from seals by doing this method. It can be time consuming some seal battles can go on for awhile and lost fishing time while the bite is on... If it’s a good size spring its worth battling for and a good chance you will get it. Also... When the seal is close to the boat, Rev the engine loud in neutral... they hate that.. had seals let go a few times while we were revving the engine..

Last edited by a moderator:
8 big crabs in the trap today when I pulled it -- 3 females full of eggs but 4 nice sized males that are tonights dinner!

Fished Mcauly point to gravel pit today, played about ten fish ,all small except for an 8 and 5 that we kept. Got sealed twice, Craven manouver worked both times. On one of the seal episodes I got the salmon head back with my anchovy hanging out of the salmons mouth still intact so I sent it back down only to be sealed again. Most of the action was in front of the gravel pit on anchovy and purple haze squirt right on the bottom.

Fished both sat and Sunday out at the bank, and it was great fishing both days !! Sat the ave size was around 10lbs and the largest was 14lbs Sunday the fish were a little smaller but more fish. Fished squirts rite on the bottom.

No incidental Halibut? We have had three halibut caught down here in the Puget Sound in the last two weeks incidental while winter blackmouth fishing (springs). Bigger chinook are starting to finally trickle in. A couple in the high teens about 10 days ago, but weather is turning to crap again. Congrats on the halibut percentage shift to you guys and going to bat on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back