Victoria Reports 2015

Following a slow start to the morning....I took my favorite fishing partner out for the afternoon (1-4pm) on the waterfront. What a start to the year! Jasper was bundled up but I had only a sweatshirt on the whole time. We only ran one rod and mostly 160-180' and right on bottom, sandlance spoons and mini flashers. 6 to the boat and mostly small. No seal problems! We did bring a nice 7-8lb home. Great first day of the year in my books!

View attachment 15240View attachment 15241View attachment 15242

34 white and 22 red off clover point this morning. 45 and 65 ft in 100 ft of water. Released 2 more in the high 20's

Still lots of action off of Esquimalt. We had many hook ups, but for some reason, they weren't sticking. Came home with just one, but others were limiting out. Lots of fun anyway.

As a working guy I was out 2 weeks ago 4-5 times with my Dad from Ontario. Fished many locations and gear with limited success. Should I be taking a few days off this week or do you think there will still be a few hot days next weekend out front. How long do they hang around and especially with the influence of rain?

As a working guy I was out 2 weeks ago 4-5 times with my Dad from Ontario. Fished many locations and gear with limited success. Should I be taking a few days off this week or do you think there will still be a few hot days next weekend out front. How long do they hang around and especially with the influence of rain?

Every day is a new day when fishing. Sometimes the worse thing you can hear is it was good yesterday!
Those Breakwater fish have no where to go as they are pen fish from Nitinat. They will be around for another week or two, but hard to be as hot as it has been for the last 4 or 5 days.
Sooke will be good on and off thru next weekend for Springs.
They are not everywhere every day, but...
I have fish the waters of Southern Van. Is. for more years than I care to admit and this has been the best year for years for Springs for pretty much everyone.
Good luck

First trip out for a month since re-powering the boat. Launched at Esquimalt at 3:00 with every boat coming in with fish saying it was hot out front. That was an understatemnt as we couldn't get the lines in fast enough while major action happening all around us. Within 5 min we had a double header 11 & 9.5 lb springs and 15 min later picking up a 21,all off McCauley. Then at 3:30 it went dead, nothing for next 2 hours. Had a pin popper off the breakwater and a screamer at 7:00 that spat the hook just as we were coming in. The 2 smaller fish were dark and all 3 were females ripe with large eggs. All bites between 35 and 60'.

Saturday late start, rounded the corner out of esq saw a bunch of boats. I understand the derby was on for James bay too. Then the wind picked up at 1030 and we were wet lining at that point trying to pin point a depth that was working. One good hit didn't stick too long saw it in the roller too that was neat. Other than that lots and lots of white and wind so we called it. I think we were one of the last guys out there as the show of boats dissipated on us LOL I probably should have picked up on that one. I hope they stick around for the long weekend and we have good weather.

My first day out since last Wednesday. Hit the waterfront again today and we were into 3 springs within 20 minutes. 2 got off and my Dad put a 10lb spring in the boat. It went quiet for a few hours and then it picked up again before lunch. My daughter caught her first ever spring (16lbs) at 30 ft and then I hooked into a 26 and a 15. We ended the day just after noon with 4 springs, 1 hatch coho and 2 pinks. IMG_3033.jpg

Every day is a new day when fishing. Sometimes the worse thing you can hear is it was good yesterday!
Those Breakwater fish have no where to go as they are pen fish from Nitinat. They will be around for another week or two, but hard to be as hot as it has been for the last 4 or 5 days.
Sooke will be good on and off thru next weekend for Springs.
They are not everywhere every day, but...
I have fish the waters of Southern Van. Is. for more years than I care to admit and this has been the best year for years for Springs for pretty much everyone.
Good luck

The breakwater fish are pen fish from nitinat?? Interesting. I'm wondering how you know this and why you think they would be down off Victoria?

The breakwater fish are pen fish from nitinat?? Interesting. I'm wondering how you know this and why you think they would be down off Victoria?

That's an old program by esq anglers but pretty sure they stopped doing it years ago - but could be wrong?

Every year for more than 10 years, smolts from the Nininat hatchery have been trucked to Victoria and held in a pen in Esquimalt harbor.
They are released in the spring and they return once they mature, generally in 3 to 4 years.
How do I know this for sure? .....I have friends who are in the hatchery program who do it.
It is no secret and most Victoria area fishermen are aware of it.

Every year for more than 10 years, smolts from the Nininat hatchery have been trucked to Victoria and held in a pen in Esquimalt harbor.
They are released in the spring and they return once they mature, generally in 3 to 4 years.
How do I know this for sure? .....I have friends who are in the hatchery program who do it.
It is no secret and most Victoria area fishermen are aware of it.

This used to be a true statement but as you may or may not know the net pen has not been in operation for a few years and the good old boys down at Esq Anglers are having a heck of a time getting it re-instated with a whole bunch of new hoops that have to be jumped through. Perhaps one of them can chime in as to how long it has been out for. Perhaps it was in place 3-4 years ago and some of these are those returning. I don't know how long it has been out of operation for.

This used to be a true statement but as you may or may not know the net pen has not been in operation for a few years and the good old boys down at Esq Anglers are having a heck of a time getting it re-instated with a whole bunch of new hoops that have to be jumped through. Perhaps one of them can chime in as to how long it has been out for. Perhaps it was in place 3-4 years ago and some of these are those returning. I don't know how long it has been out of operation for.

No pen fish...yes...must be more specific.
For the last few years they have been bringing down 1 year old smolts from the Nininat Hatchery and releasing them right from the truck into the ocean at the Esquimalt ramp.
If we loose this program you will not see the kind of fishing you have seen off the Breakwater area this year.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

back to reports...

James Bay Anglers' derby Sunday - winner 21 lbs lots of springs caught ~ avr. weight 15lbs...:)

Today noticed a gaggle of boats off harbour entrance.

Esq. anglers net pens

No pen fish...yes...must be more specific.
For the last few years they have been bringing down 1 year old smolts from the Nininat Hatchery and releasing them right from the truck into the ocean at the Esquimalt ramp.
If we loose this program you will not see the kind of fishing you have seen off the Breakwater area this year.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

We are still releasing nitinat fry ( 100,000 ) into esquimalt harbour every June by trucking from hatchery to the First Nations boat ramp , we did net pens in harbour till 2004 When we were booted out as to many were ending up in the graving dock , therefore boat ramp was our only option to keep the run going , we will soon start DNA sampling to see if they are nitinat stock , as with the great fishing in our area last few weeks and few blackish fish showing up may be some of our efforts showing up ! We are now going thu the hoops to put a net pen at Ogden pt pilot boat area have the blessing of the harbour authority , plus good clean water and depth waiting for DFO OK , hopefully next June , so will be looking for some help to move pens and feeding fry for up to 3 weeks ! Any questions see us at the clubhouse . Gary

Gary,good to see you guys are still at it;always enjoyed our conversations at the clubhouse...would be nice to reconnect after all these years...:)

I had to work, but my hubby was rained out so he went out by himself. Out on the water by 9:15, had three fish on, one shaker, one 16 lb whitey tubbed, and one 12 lb coho,(unclipped, released, sigh..........) he had fun netting the fish by himself, I waited by my phone wishing I was out there with him!! Fun to try a new area and having success! 50 ft in 130 ft of water, good o' Abe 'n Al flasher and green glow anchovy head. Xena

Important ESQUIMALT ANGLERS ANNOUNCEMENT
THE RAMP WILL BE CLOSED FOR 3 days on below dates
Please inform any fishing buddies that do not watch this forum !!
In coordination with the township of esquimalt and on behalf of esquimalt township community art councils
SCULPTURE SPLASH PLEASE BE ADVISED THE FLEMING BEACH BOAT RAMP WILL BE CLOSED
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 18 , 2015 all day
Saturday September 19 all day
Sunday. September. 20. All day reopening 6.30 pm
Boat launches available James bay anglers
First Nation off admirals Rd
Cattle point ( beach Dr )
Peddle bay
Thank you for cooperation &. Understanding

Back