Victoria Reports 2015

I have submitted my letter.

I ask that those of you who do decide to write, please remember to be respectful... Sounding like a ranting raving lunatic won't get us anywhere. :)

I wrote my letter too. Seems to be a generic response, as I know another forum member who received the exact same reply.

Here is my letter to the Mayor of Esq

Yep, email sent.
http://http://www.esquimalt.ca/contactForms/Mayorandcouncil.aspx

Reposting the link, takes 2min to state your displeasure.

I am extremely disappointed by your decision to close the McCauly Pt boat launch for the next three days. I use this launch frequently as this is the only boat launch in the Greater Victoria area that you can launch safely by yourself. The one at Ogden Pt and Cattle Pt are very dangerous to launch your boat without help as there is no place to safely tie up your boat and then drive your truck to a parking spot. The closest one to Esq is Pedder Bay which is a 45 drive one way, a 20 minute drive back to your fishing spot. 20 minutes back plus another 45 minutes drive home from Pedder Bay to Victoria. This adds up to over two hours of driving not to mention the extra cost for gas. Multiply this times at least 50 people each day and this adds up to a lot of extra time and money without any consultation that we were aware about. Surly some other location could have been found, as maybe Saxe Pt. Also what is happening to this event in the future, what if we have rain for all three days will this event still take place.

I called Friday just go the run around . I think we need to all get

together and go to next meet at city hall and ask them why they can't work with us I know our guy running the club are doing a great job for us but they need our help to get city hall to listen to them about our concerns .

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

When you submit your letter It's an auto-reply you get from the municipal site, I've emailed it few times about other issues as I'm an Esquimalt resident.

I guarantee if enough people bring it to council's attention they will take notice.

It's obvious they didn't understand the impact of closing it so if enough of us bring it to their attention, I'm hopeful it won't happen again. :)

Where the heck would those people park if there where boaters launching?! 445 on Friday and it's empty.
23ea4ccf26766d986cc3199547089f1a.jpg

Brutal is all I can say... I hope this thing is moved for next year..from the looks of things, a smaller venue would work.

Here is the one I sent.

As an Esquimalt resident, property owner, taxpayer, voter and angler I wish to express my great displeasure with the decision to close down the Fleming Beach Boat launch and trailer and truck parking area for three days to run some sort of Art flea market.

That period of time has acceptable tides/currents for deep water sport Halibut fishing and there are not very many of those days, especially with safe weather. Anglers come from up island and the mainland to fish out of this launch in addition to all the locals.

There is no other equivalent launch in the Greater Victoria area and it is absurd that this critical marine infrastructure is to be closed down for such a purpose for three whole days. This is especially true when one considers all the alternatives Public Parking lots that are available for such a purpose including the Gorge and Saxe Point Parks.

This will I assume also put this launch out of action for official use in the event of a nearby marine disaster . Should such an unlikely event occur, the press will have a field day with this decision.

There are hundreds of thousands of Salt water fishing licenses sold on this coast each year and other communities recognize the great financial benefit that sport fishing brings to their communities and actively spend money to promote and attract tourists to come and fish. That is why Port Alberni and Campbell River fight it out to claim the title of Salmon Fishing Capital of the World.

In addition to angling tourism they want those with a great love of fishing to retire in their communities and bring with them a lifetime of accumulated wealth contributing millions to their local economy. Esquimalt has great fishing including Salmon and Halibut that is second to none, how unfortunate that with this decision Esquimalt appears to have chosen to do the opposite.

The on line fishing forums frequented by thousands of anglers are abuzz with this questionable decision. Hopefully this special event can be moved and never repeated at this location in future years.

Halibut/Crabbers

Tried for halibut today out of Pedder. 6 hours and only 1 halibut bite which spit the hook. Watch out for the commercial crabbers. They had 1000ft lines laid across Constance and the 27 in large horse shoe patterns. It was near impossible to know where they were on the bottom.:mad:

Tried for halibut today out of Pedder. 6 hours and only 1 halibut bite which spit the hook. Watch out for the commercial crabbers. They had 1000ft lines laid across Constance and the 27 in large horse shoe patterns. It was near impossible to know where they were on the bottom.:mad:

Are you sure they were crabbers???
Could they have been commercial halibut long liners?
Or perhaps prawn fishers?
how deep were they setting their lines?
I have never seen the commercial guys crabbing off Constance.

You can call up finest of sea and let owner know what you think. They usually set there and our now fishing all the inshore spots. I hope they don't pound it hard I was looking forward to going out. Dam. I am not suprised thay probably picked up on all the good fishing reports and things being posted...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the one I sent.

As an Esquimalt resident, property owner, taxpayer, voter and angler I wish to express my great displeasure with the decision to close down the Fleming Beach Boat launch and trailer and truck parking area for three days to run some sort of Art flea market.

That period of time has acceptable tides/currents for deep water sport Halibut fishing and there are not very many of those days, especially with safe weather. Anglers come from up island and the mainland to fish out of this launch in addition to all the locals.

There is no other equivalent launch in the Greater Victoria area and it is absurd that this critical marine infrastructure is to be closed down for such a purpose for three whole days. This is especially true when one considers all the alternatives Public Parking lots that are available for such a purpose including the Gorge and Saxe Point Parks.

This will I assume also put this launch out of action for official use in the event of a nearby marine disaster . Should such an unlikely event occur, the press will have a field day with this decision.

There are hundreds of thousands of Salt water fishing licenses sold on this coast each year and other communities recognize the great financial benefit that sport fishing brings to their communities and actively spend money to promote and attract tourists to come and fish. That is why Port Alberni and Campbell River fight it out to claim the title of Salmon Fishing Capital of the World.

In addition to angling tourism they want those with a great love of fishing to retire in their communities and bring with them a lifetime of accumulated wealth contributing millions to their local economy. Esquimalt has great fishing including Salmon and Halibut that is second to none, how unfortunate that with this decision Esquimalt appears to have chosen to do the opposite.

The on line fishing forums frequented by thousands of anglers are abuzz with this questionable decision. Hopefully this special event can be moved and never repeated at this location in future years.

Well said as usual Rick GOOD on you

Are you sure they were crabbers???
Could they have been commercial halibut long liners?
Or perhaps prawn fishers?
how deep were they setting their lines?
I have never seen the commercial guys crabbing off Constance.

I thought they were halibut long lines until the first crab pot went in the boat. They were set in 270ft of water and along the 27 fathom patch. Other guys had the same issue further out. It didn't look like they were getting many crab, so hopefully it's the last time.

I thought they were halibut long lines until the first crab pot went in the boat. They were set in 270ft of water and along the 27 fathom patch. Other guys had the same issue further out. It didn't look like they were getting many crab, so hopefully it's the last time.

Happy to hear they were not fishing halibut!
my second guess would be prawn fishers
the depth sounds right for prawns!
can look like crab pots from a distance.
Would be interesting for sure it they were fishing crab
those crabbers have extended their fishery for miles and miles....wonder how the crabs can sustain themselves.

Back