Victoria Reports 2015

Yeah... It sucks, especially since the currents are great for halibut in that timeframe. They could at least do it when the tides suck!

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

They don't, those aren't net pen fish I'm sure. I've had more than a few whities lately.

what make you so sure these white springs cannot by the Nitinat fish?
I've caught white springs in the mouth of the Nitinat, in Cowichan Bay and off Secretary all late season???

Got a 24 and a 25 double header Wednesday,both were wild and white.Both were males and still very bright.Thursday was slow for me but I saw 6 or 7 fish caught.Had another Scotty digital counter fail again,that's 2 since new in April.They replaced it no problem ,but it still ruins a good day fishing.

Where about was that at? And what on?

There are a lot of whites coming from the Vic waterfront right now and I have no trouble with you saying not all whites come from the Harrison. However, in these numbers currently being caught of late, and since we're on the migratory path to the Fraser and tribs. I feel it's unlikely these are all white springs from Nitinat stock.

Do I have any scientific proof? I do not, just used my own dumb logic. Lol

Carry on.

Hey guys just reminding everybody that the doc at Macaulay Point is closed 18th 19th and 20th of September for stupid art show we should all call the mayor and and tell her there has to be a better place for them to hold their shows then to shut down our dock every year

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I've also heard the local kayakers might set up a club at Fleming Beach - just look at what happened to Elk Lake since the rowers club moved in.

There seems to be a false impression by many fishermen that all white springs caught in the Victoria area come from the Harrison Creek system.
White Springs are caught up and down the coast and they are definitely not all Harrison fish.

Did I say that. No I didn't. I said you guys have no idea what they are and yes some are late harrison fish that pass by Sooke, and about week ago these fish were around Sooke. Unless any of us have DNA kit with portable lab on boat we wouldn't know every exact fish. This is not new news they have been down passing by sooke for years same time every year. Its not a false impression BTW its been documented that the harrison pass by here. Maybe there US fish? Never know..

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a false impression by many fishermen that all white springs caught in the Victoria area come from the Harrison Creek system.
White Springs are caught up and down the coast and they are definitely not all Harrison fish.

It's common knowledge that the majority of rivers that have white Chinooks are in the Mainland inlets north of Campbell river and are early running fish. The ones being caught on the southern Island are probably Harrison and Chilliwack (Harrison transplants) fish.

It's common knowledge that the majority of rivers that have white Chinooks are in the Mainland inlets north of Campbell river and are early running fish. The ones being caught on the southern Island are probably Harrison and Chilliwack (Harrison transplants) fish.

this ^^^

Late august to end of Sept. is also the time of year that the harrisons usually come through JDF, so all signs point to Harrisons.

Rockdog always asks the whites where they're headed........just remember to do it before the head tap!
GnB

Thanks guys. I handed my buddy the rod for this one, he's never caught a salmon before so the mission was to get him a nice spring. You couldn't scrub the smile off his face with a wire brush when it was boated. :)
He reeled in a nice unclipped coho earlier and I had to release it. He was sad but this spring made up for it.
In all seriousness, there's nothing better than watching a newbie get a nice slab.
This one tipped the scales at 28 pounds.

Out front off Esq with the flotilla today from 7:30 - 2:30. One #7 hatch ho boated, One wild let go & One decent fish lost. Slow, slow, slow, but it was a nice day. Saw the odd fish caught here and there. Any action we saw seemed to be between MacCauley and green can bouy at harbour mouth. The Creel recorder at the dock said 16 Springs including Kildonan's 28lber were reported and 8 coho. Not great for the number of boats out.

Congrats Kildonan...a real beaut...:)

Victoria Reports 2015

In the earlier post by sun dance on 8/31 regarding the closure of the Esquimalt Anglers ramp on the 18, 19, and 20 of Sept, he refers to a ramp off Admirals on First Nations land.

Does anyone know where this First Nations ramp is? Has anyone used it before? I want to head out on Friday and this might save me the run from Pedder Bay.

Thanks.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back