Victoria Reports 2015

First Oakbay report in a while, no problem with seals ?

Had great success on the flats the past 5 days...touch wood,only one lost to snuffy.
We had 50+ seals(never seen that many at once there) pop up around us for a quick peek thursday.then vanish to let us get into a fish.will report later after todays sesh..

Headed out Sunday morning -- will give it a go off Clover and may head over to the flats if nothing is going on.

Took Red Hot out today - great conditons - waterfront between 10:30 and 1:30. Bunch of shakers and then 3 keepers mixed in from Esquimalt all the way to Clover. Standard plastic and hardware gear close to bottom. No seal in sight - surprisingly. Good start into the new year!

b1.jpg

Took Red Hot out today - great conditons - waterfront between 10:30 and 1:30. Bunch of shakers and then 3 keepers mixed in from Esquimalt all the way to Clover. Standard plastic and hardware gear close to bottom. No seal in sight - surprisingly. Good start into the new year!

View attachment 15417

Some good looking Winter Springs there...Better yet, nice looking day.
Keep it up chris73 ......Wish I was out there. :)

Picked up a couple today out at Constance. Coho killer spoons and green flashers.
Largest about 9lbs.

Nice time on the water.

Fished the waterfront between Clover and Trial. I have NEVER seen so many guys lose fish to seals in a single day. We counted at least 6 snuffys grabbing fish from the boats around.

We fortunately escaped feeding the seals and took home 4 fish, threw one small guy back and lost 3 more with a couple of rod poppers that didn't stick. I can easily say, best day fishing in 2015 thus far!

Lots of boats out there today. Best fishing was at slack at 920 until about 11.

Fished out of Esquimalt on Saturday, 11-4. Slow morning, but picked up in the afternoon, probably hooked up 7-8 fish, most shakers. Lost a nice one to a seal, kept one nice bbq fish. We ran out in front of the harbour for a bit, and saw fish jumping (which is weird in the winter) but got no love. Worked over towards Albert Head and things picked up around 2. Worked the bottom with the star lure being a army truck hoochie with a rubber glow skirt (when I whipped it out my friends said it was the ugliest hoochie they had ever seen, said I had a better chance with beer cap and a rusty hook, but it was hot--so they can suck it!)

Love that while a lot of Canadians are looking at months more of snow...I was out pulling Salmon out of the chuck!

Thanks for the reports guy's, looks to be some fish around, couple of nice one's for Chris!! Good Work!! , thanks for the pic's, hope Saturday nice and i give it a shot.

I normally fish between 10 mile point around to Alert Head. I have read a number of threads on the Oak Bay Flats. Is there a couple land marks or longs and lats that out line the flats? It seems to be a big area SE of Trial to Discovery. I'm not looking for any secrets just a general area that I can consentrate on finer GPS details.

Cheers Slack-Tider in the Double Eagle

Slack tider
OB flats are between: Great Chain island, Broadie Rock and east to Centre Reef near Discovery. Current back eddies on flats depending on flow. Fish like east side Broadie Rock as well they scatter across the sandy bottom. Fish on the bottom, small pastic and spoons. It's an easy place to fish. Look for Craven's blue Malibu and you will find fish!

It's easy... except for the rapid tide changes. I've just started fishing this area last summer, but I find the window of slack tide is very short. It can go from 5+ knot ebb to 5+ knot flood with 20 minutes. Trolling in those sudden large tidal shifts means you really have to watch your gear. Dodge tide lines with lots of floating debris and kelp. Watch the tide rip doesn't suddenly send your downrigger cable under your kicker's prop. Get a prop protector!

The flood is usually better as you get a large backeddy from Trial island
the ebb can suck you onto Brodie rock if you're not careful and grab cannonballs

I chartered out of OBM for 15 years never encountered a rapid tide change or 5 knot current like that on the flats. Definitely never a rip tide there. Trial island yes, Enterprise channel yes, Bains channel and Strong tide definately. South end of Discover , yes . I've Lost a few leads to Brodie Rock during that time, craven is right about the Ebb. All in all its an easy place to fish. Ebb Current picks up, we moved over to east side and worked in and out. On Flood current we would grind east side of Brodie Rock.

I think I've generally been a little south of the flats then, trolling along the top of the southern drop-off from the flats, passing south of Brodie Rock. Maybe I should try further north if you get out of the tide?

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite place to fish, especially after all the traffic runs west.
Fish are not as big or as plentiful, but we've had some good days there. :)

Fished the floods last week and got all our fish around 80' just ne of brodie.(jigging teritory in the sumer)
i usually do the racetrack a little deeper (113'-127')
Sure nice catching dinner with the marina still in sight,(can stay out late:)plus its easy on the gas bill.
Don't act too excited when ya get a fish on..you might wake the seals napping

Last edited by a moderator:
All excellent info gents!! Thanks. I think I'll pass on Albert Head this Saturday and go play around the Oak Bay area. Always good to change it up. Keep the tip up and enjoy.

Back