Victoria Gas Tax Petition

Now, now,, we don't want to cancel out a carbon tax do we.. Remember more tax will wipe out global warming,,, lol..

Last edited by a moderator:
Government coffers need to be filled if you want the social programs. Pick your poison, the money has to come from somewhere.

Tough when you find paying for gas is so expensive so that people can ride cheap on a subsidized bus service that not many people want!! Just sayin!!

I appreciate transit but how about we start saving money before taking more. We need to end free parking for all public service employees, including politicians?

Where is the free parking for public servants? I'm not being a dick either, I honestly don't know.

Ok, many public sector employees have to pay for parking. Some, politicians do not. Land in Victoria is not as expensive as Vancouver but I know of two huge parking lots in Saanich that could be sold off, converted into green space and used for the public good, or converted to pay parking. This example may only be a few hundred thousand a year but there are lots of wasted $ examples, starting with politicians who think using our tax dollars to fly themselves and government employees to other countries is a great idea. Don't get me started on that! Allowing transit authorities to implement taxes is not something I support. Take it out of existing municipal, provincial or federal tax revenue. I walk to work but many people I know drive, because they have kids they take to school. They should not see increased fuel taxes IMHO

What drives me nuts is the point of sale taxation practice that disproportionately targets all users of fuel. I fail to see how a lawnmower or a chainsaw should share the financial burden of enhancing infrastructure. Better bus system, tax the busriders. Better roads, tax the drivers,etc.
Hey, maybe if we want better government, we should tax the politicians.... or lynch them....

IF we need the money generated to maintain roads, taxing gas at the fuel pump for domestic use is the way to go. A user fee? Most could choose to drive a smaller vehicle. Many don't! Look how many full size single occupant pick-ups you see around town. Why should someone who rides a bike to work pay the same taxes to maintain roads that those that actually wear them out do?

I would support the new tax if I lived in Vic.
If they can get more people out of their cars and onto public transportation that's a good thing.

Tax the things we don't want to subsidize the things we do want.
It's not rocket science.

And yes I hate taxes just like everyone else.
Oh and the Canadian Tax Payers Association is an astroturf group.
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/djc...dian-taxpayers-federation-running-turfy-award

Now, now,, we don't want to cancel out a carbon tax do we.. Remember more tax will wipe out global warming,,, lol..

Hey walleyes the carbon tax is working so why would we want to cancel it.
Don't you think it's time to get on with the solutions?
After all Business as Usual is not the road we need if we want salmon to have a chance.

So now that there's a new 2 cent tax we're all up in arms about it? Beefing about the price of gas as usual....

HOWEVER:-

awhile back...when gas prices were really low comparatively the joy didn't last long. Almost instantaneously everybody and his dog was whining about how it would hurt the economy..

Every night the media would make you feel like a bad Canadian for actually enjoying such low prices.....expert after expert coming on , predicting dire consequences if we didn't do something quick.
People on the street thought it was the end of Alberta as we know it..........and argued in justification of gas prices being higher.....

So even though the crude prices didn't rise.....the gas stations did just that ....raise the price at the pump....so that us Canadians would feel normal about ourselves again( being ripped off and enjoying it) and not having to suffer the pain and indignity of such blasphemy as overly-affordable gasoline.

We had it good.....and we blew it.

After all Business as Usual is not the road we need if we want salmon to have a chance.
I'm all for giving salmon a chance (how that is tied into another 2 cent transit tax administered by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats escapes me) but if we can't afford to run a boat to catch salmon then I guess we can feel comfortable that at least the Orca's are better fed!

I'm all for giving salmon a chance (how that is tied into another 2 cent transit tax administered by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats escapes me) but if we can't afford to run a boat to catch salmon then I guess we can feel comfortable that at least the Orca's are better fed!

2 separate issues but I support each one.
Like I said tax the thing you don't want (more car usage in Vic) and subsidize the thing you do want (more public transit). Same thing with revenue neutral Carbon tax. Tax the carbon based fuel (so we use less) and reduce the personal & corporate tax (good for the economy). It's not rocket science.

If it's business as usual then the future does not look bright for salmon.

This effects gas in Vic only so not our decision at this point SF...

This effects gas in Vic only so not our decision at this point SF...
Yeah I realize that but it strikes a chord in me that really gets me wondering what people are thinking. Politicians are held accountable every 4 or 5 years or so for decisions they put through-not so the transit authorities. Yes I realize it is only in Vancouver and Victoria and possibly a few other larger centres and while it doesn't directly affect me I can't help but reflect that it is taxation without any representation or accountability. I worry about things like that-Translink (or the mayors want a new levy in VAN for a new transit plan)-but they make sure to exclude translink because that body has been so incompetent and fiscally irresponsible they had to promise to bring in Jim Pattison to ensure the money was spent on transit. They are loud in their claims that the vote is not about Translink-YOU Betcha-cause if it was it would be a major FAIL! Had my rant-based on the price of oil we pay too much!!

I'm all for change but change based on rational, non emotional based thinking not irrational, emotional, fear mongering. The change and this green world utopia we all dream of will happen on its own. These are non renewable resources we are using up anyways once they are gone they are gone we will as time dictates switch over to other forms of energy. This fear that we will all be living in a desert in 1000 years makes no sense because we will be out of affordable carbon based fuels long before then anyways. We play right into the hands of these people when we allow them to use this fear mongering as just another excuse to tax us.. More tax does not in any way cure anything. If anything it just delays the inevitable investment and exploitation of the resources and strings it out over a greater period of time. Investment in alternative resources by the population will drive the change and the economy not taxes. It's a big money grab no matter which side of the fence you are on with these issues.

But anyways let's not get into one of our rants over this stuff again please.. I respect you GLG I do,, you only want the best for everyone as do I we just have a little differant idea on how to get there.

PS. Right now half my investments are split between carbon based resource companies and alternative based resource companies makes no diferance to me where I make my money just as long as I make it lol.. There's money to be made on either side and we will only make the inevitable change by supporting and investing in these companies not by taxing us or companies. Taxes suck I don't care who is paying them. Investment is the answer, investment and free enterprise my boys not governments and taxes.

Have to agree with you fellas about taxes as I hate them too.
I have paid my fair share and then some over the years.
This might be getting a little off topic but here is a couple of things to look at.
First this astro turf group and it's petition is complete BS.
I have heard about these guy's for years and question what they are really up to.
We have serious problems with the tax system over the last few years.
I'm sure you remember all the tax cheats that got outed last year.
A fair amount were from Western Canada and that doesn't even include the loop holes we have now.
Here is a table with the data from Stats Can that shows what is happening.
FYI the CRA laid off all the investigators so they could add resources to go after the environmental groups.
Starting to see a pattern?

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/150424/t150424a001-eng.htm

Canadian direct investment abroad in Billions of dollars20102011201220132014
Barbados50.050.964.464.571.2
Cayman Islands24.033.028.732.336.6
Luxembourg13.619.326.636.631.1
Bermuda11.210.413.716.917.8

<tbody>
</tbody>
I'm sure there is a few billions of dollars in taxes that was whisked away to those places when they could have been going to pay for badly needed infrastructure here in Canada. So now it is up to us peeons to pick up the slack as that's what we have to do. Perhaps kick these bums out in October and put some new bums in. Alberta was not afraid to do it so why cant we?

Add ... I have no love for translink as my family and group of parents at my kids school fought for four years to get a bus scheduled changed so kids could get to school, on a local bus, on time. Could not believe how stupid that the bus would drop off kids 10 minutes late and the work involved to get that fixed was far to much. Rant off....

Back