Victoria 2014 Reports

Got a couple hours in today between Trial and Clover. Saw Scott out there putting on a clinic as usual. We had 3 - released a small guy, one about 10lbs to the boat that made it to the dinner table tonight, and lost the 3rd to a seal who did a stealth move on us -- didn't see it at all and then he's on the fish, and gear gone!

I am surprised there aren't a few more posts here as there were a tonne of boats fishing the derby today.
We fished from 8:30 till 1:30 today.
Hooked our first fish at about 10 am as we were fishing straight off Esquimault Anglers for the first 1.5 hrs--with not a sniff.
Then got into a group of boats near Albert Head that had some consistent action
from about 10 till 12:30.
Fishing in about 140-160 of water bottom bouncing.
Most of out fish were on squirts, and a few on a coho killer.
Got 12 fish to the boat. 2 we kept were 6 lbs. Released the other 10 that were undersized or borderline.

There were a few times when we were playing a fish and 3-4 boats within hailing distance were on fish as well.
Best action was around slack tide today.
I heard the derby winner (16 lbs?) was caught in this area, but off the bottom a bit.

The weather and solid action made it a very fun trip--time to get out there!

image.jpg
Lucky enough to be in the boat with Suke Skywalker. Awesome day out there, just what the doctor ordered after a slow summer and a fall with no boat rides. Did you mention the seal that ate my first fish...and that fish wasa monster!

Did expect a few more posts considering the parking lot was full. Maybe that crowd doesn't use the inter web?

Talked to one guy that caught 25 fish...but nothing of size. I don't care where you are fishing 25 hookups over 4-6 hours is good times!

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience? An easterly wind seems to really put the damper on fishing. I can't say why, but the few years I kept a log West was best, East would have been cheaper to throw $100 over the side and go mow the lawn. Of course, there are exceptions to every fishin' rule :)

If you want to fish in that wind, I suggest the Gap in Oak Bay, it can be snortin' from the East but you will be sheltered. Beecher bay is also a great bet.

Fished the harbour for an hr and hit 2 springs around the 10 lb mark right off the bat this morning.... Fishing was good but got tired of feeding the seals after losing 4 straight to them.... Oh I wish I could use a .22 legally... Picked up the salmon gear and hit constance for a couple Halibut.... Went in and picked up the crab traps and put 4 goodies in the bucket... All in all not a bad morning for December...

Sounds like a good day minus the encounters with Snuffy. I have a two week break coming up, hoping to spend some time out there.

...I could go for dat...minus the rock sausages ;)

nice and calm in the morning.. blew up from the east in the early afternoon... no problem for my sea ray... selling it if anyone is interested?

Got out for the last 2 hours of light Friday evening. Fished only one rod and dragged bottom in 160-170'. Seems like a good amount of fish and seals between Macauley and the Flagpole. 4 on and none in the boat. These pics sum it up...beauty on the water and the seals got fed.
5ba5c5b6453db63afba880d27e150868.jpg
4ef64a85011a70f9221b2a56dfeeb7d7.jpg

Great hali conditions and a day off work coincided Friday. 3 hrs at anchor off pedder, sipping a beer and nursing a post Christmas party hangover got us a 30lber. No dogs, no big currents. Tonnes of wood and debris floating out there, so take is slow and safe out there if you are boating

Back