Victoria 2014 Reports

Fished for halibut Saturday east of Constance and it was non stop action! Multiple double headers...even multiples on one set up. 20 fish to the boat easily. (No halibut...). Very sore arms.

Fished for halibut west of Constance on Sunday in 330' of water trying to get away from the dogfest. Unfortunately I left all of my halibut hook setup's(freshly rigger after they were all trashed by dog teeth) and salmon bellies at the front door....oh well. Luckily I came across a crazy bait ball and scooped some fresh 5-6" herring to add to the xl herring that I had. Ended up live mooching on one side and with a top rod live mooching for coho to no avail. Unlike the action of Saturday I only had 3 bites on the live or cut plug xl herring. One of which was a really big pacific cod, a dog fish and lost what was likely a Hali. Took line for quite a run before letting go.

The most remarkable thing about the two days was the quietness with the lack of wind and the whale shows. My 3 year old was out both days and was thrilled to get to see harbour porpoises, humpbacks and orcas all in the same day. Orcas cruised by us on anchor and Sunday was nuts with the sound of whales, birds and even the sea lions all the way at race rocks.

Pics and vids from Sunday.

On sunday, we stopped at the yellow can and trolled fast for 20 minutes back towards Esq Anglers. 4 coho on: 2 to the boat, 1 wild retained @ 8lb, 1 wild the same released and lost 2 others, one of which Jasper was trying!. Pretty short window to judge....but I reckon there is a good amount of coho out front. 120' on rigger has all. Sandlance spoons. Bait(fresh) had none.

Crazy bird bait ball...(click link)
https://vimeo.com/109548294

bc7d077baa3a0ddd46ee1411d986cde3.jpg

Humpback sounds...(click link)
https://vimeo.com/109548345

9ddf74bc7f4ab8400bd6c141f15d21d2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great videos

The most remarkable thing about the two days was the quietness with the lack of wind and the whale shows. My 3 year old was out both days and was thrilled to get to see harbour porpoises, humpbacks and orcas all in the same day. Orcas cruised by us on anchor and Sunday was nuts with the sound of whales, birds and even the sea lions all the way at race rocks.

Pics and vids from Sunday.

Andrew--very cool report. I am not getting on the water much lately, so thanks for sharing the sights and sounds :)

Anyone seen this girl around lately?image.jpgimage.jpg

I stop by discovery after fishing quite often and haven't seen sight of the wolf in a few weeks

Few weeks might be far fetched..about two months ago.200mm lens,i tryed to stay away,tho it seemed to keep flanking me and got closer and closer.had a few hundred crows above me squacking and the wolf howling in the tree line when i decided it might be time to push off.heard it swam to trial in the spring but got scared off the island by the dog there..rumors perhaps.but wolf pups on discovery would be cool.they could have come over to the avenue to have a go at the deer pop.

My wife and I had a picnic dinner on Discovery back in July. We could hear the wolf howling in the forest. Great photos!

Had two hours on sunday to sneak out before dinner and take my cousin back visiting from Toronto. I figured we'd find coho around the yellow can but none to be found by us. That said, we did get him into a really nice 7-8lb winter spring at 120' in 250' on one of my bucktails. A bit of BC to send home with him.
It was glassy calm too. It was a short outing but a great time.

He's a film producer....check his latest: http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3310931/giant-bear-attacks-first-backcountry-clip-exclusive/

Guys,

i just heard from a buddy of mine who is on the water right now, along the waterfront from Clover Point to Esquimalt Anglers. They have been out since daybreak and haven't hit a single fish. Sounds like the rain sent all the coho up river.

I would be fishing deep now with glow gear targeting winter springs...
with the amount of bait that has been showing there should be some fish around.

I would be fishing deep now with glow gear targeting winter springs...
with the amount of bait that has been showing there should be some fish around.

Yeah, I'm going to start scraping bottom with my next outing. And if the winter fishing is half as good as it was last year it will be awesome. I love eating those winter Springs. :)

Halibut is still good:)
tried to snag some opal squid that came up to a flood light last eve,would have made great bait for today..haven't seen them at the surface this time of year,anyone care to share their knowledge of squid around these parts?

Back