Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading this forum since I got my first boat three years ago. Should have posted sooner seeing as I start here every morning but better late than never. Thanks for all the help (and entertainment) I wouldn't have been able to catch fish without the info freely shared on this site. Now that I sometimes catch a few fish, I figure I should post, too.

Fished Albert Head this afternoon 1-4pm. We picked up three springs, 12, 7, and maybe 4 (badly hooked so had to keep it). The small one was right on the bottom, the other two at 140' and 120' on the downrigger in 160 feet of water.

IMG_2768.jpg

Great report Zed, thanks for joining and contributing some great info...its what keeps this site good!

Nice fish, hard luck with the little guy, though I'm sure he will be well cared for! Mmmm

Welcome aboard Zed! (where's X & Y?)
Just like the cat, he's keeping them under his hat. Welcome Zed--were you in a sailboat off Albert Head? i went out to Island View Beach and fished the yak (for one shaker halibut) but when i got home there was a sailboat out there for quite a while.
T2

Tsquared, not in a sailboat but there was candy-striped sail on the other side (southwest?) of the head. I was trolling between the white building on the point and the gravel pit. I think I saw you pass through that area in December. Can't be too many other guys fishing from an kayak, particularly in the winter!

If you saw a sail up on the yak that was me in December. Not enough wind to sail yesterday at Island view but a beauty morning just the same.
T2
image_zpsb7023be1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Zed,welcome aboard,thanks for sharing the report;from the looks of the pics your afternoon was a great success...2 decent size winters is nothing to sneeze at :)

Any chance of an autopsy report,flesh colour,any bait in the fish, any leads to work on are welcome...;)

Saludos!
sammy

Last edited by a moderator:
The fish we have caught lately have had whole herring 5-7" in the gut.
No needle fish present for a few months.
maybe time to size up the presentation...

Thanks rs, those are the exact observations I was looking for :)

Funny thing about matching the feed...I found a particular hot spot off the waterfront,the time of year was near herring migration;the fat winters were keying on squirts in a somewhat similar pattern...:p

I was out with Andrew P last weekend and we got 2 winters. The one I gutted and cleaned had a few large needle fish in the belly. Can't speak for the other fish though, as Andrew didn't check the stomach.

Out today from 11-4, started at Albert Hd for an hour without any action so moved over to Constance. Bait was getting hits until ran out. One shaker, one decent size lost beside the boat and one 7lber on skunk squirt. A barrage of other hootchys, squirts and spoons produced no hits. Noticed gulls feeding off Brotchie on the way in. Maybe there's some herring starting to show off the waterfront. There's been a few guys jigging for them off the bridge on Admirals Rd.

Hey all,

I am new to this forum and to the Victoria fishing grounds.. thought i would sign up.
Ive only been fishing around here for 3 weekends now and i have found that it's been pretty slow.
Ive tried clover pt, constance bank and albert hd. I caught one small guy last weekend on the bank and yesterday i picked up a 20 lbs ish hali on the water front that i released. Then went to the bank again, hooked a nice spring only to give it to the seal. 3 weekends and one fish in the boat... Been trying squirts / anchovies / spoons.

Am i missing the boat or is it slow right now? lol.

Happy fishings

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are doing all the right things.
It's been a slow winter. we fished 4 hours yesterday for 1 bite.
It was a nice fish in the 10-12 lb range but it got off just out of net range.
on a positive note there was more bait present than i have seen in a while.
Things should pick up .:)

Out in the wind on saturday, Released a 4 lb'er at the gravel pit. Trolled up to albert head, saw a few fish caught there but no luck for me. Anchovy on the bottom. Did notice some Bait on the sounder.

thanks craven,

mine was similar in size, i could judge by the head that was left attached to my spoon. lol

it was hard to stay on top of that bait, tide was running hard. Right off the bottom seems to be the best.

Fished Constance today for a few hrs , fishing was hot! we limited with 6 fish up to 1olbs with a 7/8 lb ave and let go just as many . Squirts and spoons on the bottom. this is my second to last post on this site ,you'll read why in a few but i still do daily fishing report on my site Bananas out!

Thanks for the update Bananas

I hear Bananers is a new member of D.A.D.D... might be taking up his time
emo-coffee.gif

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back