Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone been out? Uncle just called - coming in from Alberta wants to catch a fish. Are there still the usual cookie cutters out on the bank? Any luck in close?

Tides look kinda big tomorrow I'm guessing it won't be too nice on Constance anyways but id still like a report if anyone has one. I'll post up about my success or lack there of after our trip.

Got out for an afternoon effort today, tried the waterfront and the flats for 2.5hrs
Not a touch, no bait, not even a seal to be seen.
Sure hope it improves.

10-1 at Constance. 4 Little guys 30-35cm.
1 keeper crab on the way in. Nice day though very flat.

FN0059-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Fraser River Chinook - Areas 19 and 20 - Fishery Management Actions and Opening

The Department is continuing with management measures in 2013 designed to
reduce fishery exploitation rates on Fraser River Spring 4-2 chinook in
commercial, recreational and First Nations fisheries.

In 2013, Fraser River Spring 4-2 chinook are expected to return in low numbers
due to low brood year escapements and continuing poor survival rates. Fraser
River chinook stocks begin returning through the Victoria Area in March.

DFO has consulted with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) on an approach
for 2013. The SFAB has requested DFO announce these opportunities for March 1,
2013 and provide updates on further management measures when additional
information and analysis becomes available in mid-June.

Management measures for the recreational fishery in portions of Areas 19 and 20
are outlined below.

Effective 00:01 hours March 1, 2013 until 23:59 hours June 15, 2013 in Subareas
19-1 to 19-4 and Subarea 20-5(those waters near Victoria between Cadboro Pt to
Sheringham Pt.), the daily limit is two (2) chinook salmon per day which may be
wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or hatchery marked greater than
67 cm in length.

Note: Management measures to protect and conserve Fraser River Spring 4-2,
Spring and Summer 5-2 Chinook stocks of concern will also be required after
June 15. Specific actions will be based on an assessment of returns of these
stocks to the Fraser River as outlined in Appendix 6 of the 2012/13 Southern BC
Salmon Integrated Fishery Management Plan. An update on these management
measures will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice in June.

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head
Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped
chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head
Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all
fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing
information, can be found on the Internet at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

For more information contact Brad Beaith (250) 756-7190.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0059
Sent February 1, 2013 at 09:31
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

We trolled from Albert Head to Pedder Bay last Thursday - caught only a few undersize springs. What is surprising is the total lack of herring for the second year in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out off the waterfront 11-2 nothing but shakers pretty slow. Sounded like the bank was having a little afternoon bite on the radio.

On the water report. Flat as glass out on Constance. Sort of slow out @ 11:30 got one right away (8lbs). Couple other bites and a few small Lings. We are on our last pass still time for one more then hopefully full crab traps. Have not seen any nets out but we mostly kept away from the pack so that doesn't mean much.

Edit: OH! On the water reports are good luck just got another (5-6 lbs) and missed a pin popper on the other side. 7 minutes between my first post and this one. the flat landers are happy 1 each now.

Edit: OMG just spooled???????????? Had tons of line thing screamed and screamed. A seal would have come up. WOW.

Finished with 3 salmon 4-8 pounds and 5 crabs. I'll do an on the water report again it sure got exciting after I started posting! Flatlander got his knucles rapped good from whatever spooled us. Great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: OMG just spooled???????????? Had tons of line thing screamed and screamed. A seal would have come up. WOW.

I call Halibut !!!

As posted by Sammy on the Sooke thread kinda sums it up
very few fish, and size is down.
2 weekend trips yielded 2- 6 lb fish. :(

'Very spotty... best describes winter spring fishing this year,fewer visits by sporadic feeders and apparent lack of bait fish appear to be contributingfactors in this winter’s low catch rates."

Fished Constance today no fishy no much bait showing tide was running hard though not as nice as yesterday. Did manage one to land one small yellow float that I have posted in General if someone wants to claim it.

Inspired by GDW's live report on Saturday, Dave S and I decided to hit Constance on the ebb yesterday. The current was MASSIVE! No point in fighting it, so we ran with it. We did 3 passes and then picked up the gear. and ran back up current. 1st pass, 7-8 pounder in the boat. 2nd pass, 5-6 pounder in the boat. 3rd pass, mini lings. We were over the current at this point and pretty happy that we had 2 in the boat in 1.5hours. We went in to give one pass along the waterfront...and like everyone else, found nothing.

Glow needlefish hoochie did the trick for both.

image.jpg

That's what we did on Saturday go with the current then pick up the gear and run back.

Was out with Chero on Saturday (Along with my out of town guests) he must have had a slower Sunday because we lost his killer combo to the monster of the deep.

When the current is snorthing, don't be afraid to run hard into it up shallow, I staretd doing that last year and quite often tagged an extra fish or two. We are talking Coho speeds and gear here, 3-5 KNTS here, it just gives you that exttra 10 minutes before pulling up and running again.

Think this is doable with 12lb balls? Whenever I've tried running against a strong current in winter, I always loose bottom.

Think this is doable with 12lb balls? Whenever I've tried running against a strong current in winter, I always loose bottom.

Dave you don't always need to be on the bottom on Connie, such is the case when fishing the pinacles; in the later case keeping the balls off the bottom will save them

When the current is snorthing, don't be afraid to run hard into it up shallow, I staretd doing that last year and quite often tagged an extra fish or two. We are talking Coho speeds and gear here, 3-5 KNTS here, it just gives you that exttra 10 minutes before pulling up and running again.

The shallows was the ticket for us.....and we had talked about trying to fight the current to stay in the hot pocket, but as Dave said, we were concerned that we wouldn't be able to fight the current and keep the gear down. At first we only had 10lb balls on both sides, then swapped out for a 12lb on one side and a 15 on the other.

Still very slow, in 3-1/2 hours of trolling we hooked 1- double header.
Seal took the smaller one and we were able to bag one just over 11 lbs.
The water conditions were awesome, but very few fish around.

Fished Constance from 1030-230. Had lots of shakers, a few good hits.... Nothing to the boat. Did see one hell of a beauty 17.5 landed :)....... Good work mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back