VHF Radio Antenna

Digger

Hi all,

just got a brand new VHF radio for my boat and was wondering where is the best location to mount the Antenna is and what size to get. We have a 17.5 foot boat and are considering going for a 4'long antenna instead of the eight foot long one.Does any one know if the 4 foot long one would be good enough for reception or should we go for the longer one? We are going to mount it on the side rail 3 ft up or so from the water.Does anyone have any recomendations...... any feedback would be appreciated.

TY

Both lengths will receive the same as they are tuned to the same wavelength.
The shorter units have a base load to make up the length of a longer unit and usually cost a little bit more.
Buy the one that will be least in the way when it is up.

My understanding of VHF is that it works on line of sight. The higher the better. Therefore I think the longer would be better. I have a long antena on my 16', it does not get in my way and I get excellent reception and transmision.

Tips

I have mine mounted on the left side of the boat about 6 inches back from the windshield so I can open the side window and put it up or down.I like to launch and come back in with the wharf on the right hand side so its out of the way.I can also lay it down along the gunnel or over the bow and lay it under one of the front cleats keeping it out of the way.The longer the better, or up high, it is line of sight basically.My dad is an old radio tech he says not to coil the excess antenna cable into a loop but to run it back and forth under the dash.I myself dont know but hes got 45 years of experience with radios so I listen to him on that stuff. DAN

Make sure and get the more expensive antenna. This is night and day on a VHF radio. Buy the 40 or 50 dollar one and don't expect to broadcast far. I would get the Shakespeare VHF 5225. You will not be sorry. Its about $135.00. I have another friend that showed me this. I bought the cheap one and then bought a good one. Between both of us, we CAN talk where line of sight does not exist.

We have talked to each other from opposite sides of Whidbey Island where the land is really high and I was in the Strait of Juan deFuca in the mouth, about 2-3 miles inland, while he was 20 miles south down the coast. There were huge mountains in the way and we talked easily. I thought he was pulling my leg until I asked the other guys in the other boats if he was really there. They verified it. In fact we have guys hail us to relay messages to the guys with the poor antennas as they cannot broadcast out to be reached.

The most expensive radio does no good with a cheap antenna. Oh and get the 8' antenna. The better antenna is heavier too.

Here is a link to West Marine catalogues explanation of VHF antennas.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/selecvhf.htm
I usually find their info fairly good.
On my 16 footer I use the 8 foot antenna, which I lower for trailering. To stop it from moving while down I have a small rubber gizmo (sort of like a rubber rod holder clip that they use in tackle stores to display rods) screwed on to the outside of a downrigger base. The end of the antenna clips into that when lowered.

Be sure to place your VHF antennas away from your GPS reciever.

Even I learn something sometimes.
Thanks for the link Time.
I was under the impression that height didn't make all that much difference, but will still stick with my stainless Shakespear.

TY all for the help I think a good 8' Antenna from Shakespear should do the trick and TY Time for the tip on how to clip up the antenna when it is down ....I'm out to the garage to mount my new radio and off to the store to look for the antenna :) Take care guys

Back