Verado/Suzuki or Etec

ExFlyGuy

So with the new motor purchase looming, I’m starting to get a bit of anxiety... I want to get the best bang for my buck and have reliable motors.

whats everyone’s thoughts on the new verado? I wasn’t thinking of one but I have a line on a new 300 with a 15 pro kicker( new efi model) and I was surprised at the price! Same price as the Suzuki...

I was originally leaning towards the ETEC but they are about 5k more then the Suzuki and merc.

I like the reliability of the Suzuki but I just found out I won’t be able to get a kicker until sometime next spring...

Lots to think about. Let’s here some of your thoughts!

If you like the idea of the Suzuki, I say get the Suzuki! Are you going to fish much over the winter? Before you know it spring will be here. You can always just limp by on a used kicker of any brand for now and sell it for what you paid for it when your Suzuki is ready. Or just use oars for now, it gives a more natural presentation!

I have zero first hand knowledge on the Mercs so I won’t comment on them. If you were going twins under 200hp I would say Yamaha or Suzuki. But I believe your pod is for a single so since I wouldn’t recommend a large single Yamaha then I vote Suzuki. From what I have got back pricing is good and there is a longer warranty if that is important as a deciding factor. Not sure about dealers near to you but there are more of them around than before. I know there is a camp that likes the Evinrudes but for my application they weren’t an option. I also know a person I talked with that had a larger version of my boat built 3 years ago just upgraded to 300hp Suzuki’s.....not going to say why on here but the original install was 200 Evinrudes. Lots of first hand opinions and internet lore heading your way on this one...lol

Have you priced the Suzuki 350? I like the idea of the duoprops on a big heavy boat like yours.

If I were in your shoes choosing between the new V8 Mercury 300 or the Suzuki 300 I'd go with Mercury due to them having so many more service centres up and down the coast.

Also, be careful about the Suzuki warranty. It's 3 year factory warranty and then 3 year warranty by a third party. Better than nothing but not the same as 6 year factory warranty that a lot of people seem to think it is.

If you like the idea of the Suzuki, I say get the Suzuki! Are you going to fish much over the winter? Before you know it spring will be here. You can always just limp by on a used kicker of any brand for now and sell it for what you paid for it when your Suzuki is ready. Or just use oars for now, it gives a more natural presentation!

I fish a couple times a month over the winter. I have thought about a used kicker until new one is ready. That said I don't really have much personal experience with any of these motors. Every motor I have owned to date has had its share of problems(all used).

I guess I'm just looking for other peoples experiences as this is a lot of money for me to spend!

Have you priced the Suzuki 350? I like the idea of the duoprops on a big heavy boat like yours.

If I were in your shoes choosing between the new V8 Mercury 300 or the Suzuki 300 I'd go with Mercury due to them having so many more service centres up and down the coast.

I have priced out the new 350. I would love to have one, unfortunately its a little out of my budget.

who has the best warranty? and the service dealer near where you fish. would be my biggest points. for me it would be merc and inlet marine

I will have to travel for service and install for all motors as I am not using any of our local dealers in nanaimo...

Etec has the best warranty followed by Suzuki, then merc. I think both etec and Suzuki's extended warranty is offered by third party's.

I'm repowering this winter and after doing a bunch of research I would lean towards Suzuki. It pretty tough to find someone that hates their Suzuki. The price of the engines and rigging seems to be a bit cheaper as well. To give you an idea, I got a quote for used demo Etec 200s with roughly 250 hours and all rigging and it was the same as a set of brand new, last year model Suzuki 200s with fly by wire rigging.

I like the sounds of a new efi 15 for the kicker, would this be instead of a 9.9 Suzuki?

Sounds like a pretty nice motor, but high thrust is pretty key to really control your boat at slow trolling speeds I believe. You should maybe check on that if you haven’t already. Might be better off with a 15 high thrust

Don't forget that there are different props available that can satisfy the thrust/speed needs....

Back