Vedder Steelhead Tip

A

AverageAngler

Guys,

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday morning out on the lower Vedder river in search of Steelhead.
(I landed 2 hatchery and 4 wild over those 2 days)

I talked to a lot of guys down there about the use of worms; do they use them, whats their success rate, ect...

To my surprise a lot of guys have tried them, been stumped and went back to the comfort of using wool.

Through further questioning and observing those that were trying the worm 3 patterns started to appear.

1) They fish the worm like they fish wool or roe/roe imitations.
The worm can not free float down the river. It should not be presented to a fish like wool or roe. The worm needs action! So next time try adjusting your float so your weight occasionally touches the bottom. This will cause the worm to jig, stutter and hop down the river bed as the weight occasionally bumps up against a rock (a split-shot can also be added to the leader to help accomplish this).​

2) They were casting to far out.
I was observing this far to much! Guys were casting right over the fish. all 6 of my Steelhead were caught about 2 rod length out in front of me. not in the middle, rapids, or other side of the river. the slightly slower slackwater with my worm slightly bouncing the bottom as it did its slow jig down the river.​

3) They were using the wrong color worm for the water conditions.
Hot pink wont bring you hot action when the water is clean and clear, try using lighter colors when the water is low, slow and clear! I was using both a very light pink and a white worm while i was out there.​

So give the worm a try, make it dance and keep it close.

Hi Mr Avg
How do you hook up your rubber worm to your hook. Do you hook it twice through band (about 1/3 down the worm) or do something else. I'm glad you broght this up as I've been wondering about this.

Good tips for fishing steel anywhere. Fish are often at your feet.
Nice to see someone posting quality fishing tips.

Thanks

How do you hook up your rubber worm to your hook.

Most folks thread the leader through the middle of the worm and then tie on your hook about slighter more than the hook's length above the bottom of the worm. Use a small plastic bead to prevent the hook tearing the rubber, although this is hard to do.

You can also rig it 'wacky' style - just thread the worm on the hook in the middle of the worm and let the ends dangle, talk about 'action'

Most folks thread the leader through the middle of the worm and then tie on your hook about slighter more than the hook's length above the bottom of the worm. Use a small plastic bead to prevent the hook tearing the rubber, although this is hard to do.

You can also rig it 'wacky' style - just thread the worm on the hook in the middle of the worm and let the ends dangle, talk about 'action'

How well does the wacky style hook up on fish? Good hook up rate? :)

How well does the wacky style hook up on fish? Good hook up rate?

Good question, only ever fished it a few times and never got a sniff so I wouldn't know what the hook up ratio would be compared to the other method (which I also tried in these instances and also without a sniff).

Love pink worms-Somedays the hook ratio sucks other day's -Pretty sweet
Looked at trying that "wacky Style" method - Just haven't tried it :)
Maybe if I get out in the drift boat this weekend

If you don't mind me asking-
Do you just put the hook thru the middle of the worm and let it hang or do you put the tubing on the outside of the worm & put the hook between the tubing and worm?

What size worms are you using?

Just wondering :)

Thanks

Back