Vedder River

samba123

I'm familiar with the regs for fishing salmon along the BC coast but river fishing is brand new to me. Prior to going out, I am trying to understand the rules and regulations. I thought the saltwater salmon fishing regulations and information was muddy but the freshwater info is just as difficult to comprehend unless you're familiar with them..... When I read the freshwater fishing regulations for the vedder river, it says that all salmon species are to be a min of 30 cm. Then somewhere else it states an "adult" chinook needs to be 50 cm except for a few areas which identify an "adult" chinook as 62cm. The areas which include the 62cm size for "adult" chinook include the chilliwack and vedder river. So, my question is, what the heck is the min size for chinook when fishing the vedder? Seems like a simple answer if you've done this year after year but as a first time reader of the regulations I find it extremely confusing.

• All retained coho must measure 25 cm or more. All retained chinook, chum, pink, and sockeye must measure 30 cm or more. Measurements are taken from tip of nose to tail fork.
  • An "adult chinook" in Region 2 is defined as being over 50 cm except in the following areas where an "adult chinook" is defined as being over 62 cm:
    • a) the Fraser River from Sep 01 to Dec 31
    • b) the Chehalis and Harrison Rivers from Sep 01 to Dec 31
    • c) the Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River) and the Capilano River.

Waters: Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River)
Management measures - Chinook salmon:
Effective July 1 to August 31, 2020:
- The daily limit for Chinook salmon is one (1) per day.
Effective September 1 to December 31, 2020:
- The daily limit for Chinook salmon is four (4) per day, only two over 62 cm.

thanks for the info... I could not figure out what the 50cm and 62cm were referring to but your post with the info now makes sense...

Back