Vedder fishing (when do I get the fish?)

The head must remain on in freshwater fisheries for identification saltwater regs are different
Of course, they can't be consistent lol.

I've never actually retained a fresh water salmon before, but I'm glad I know that now, thanks

I just double checked the online DFO freshwater salmon regs and it refers you to the same packaging and transporting page as for tidal salmon, does someone have a link to where it says you must retain the head on for salmon caught in non-tidal areas?

Cheers!

Ukee

I just double checked the online DFO freshwater salmon regs and it refers you to the same packaging and transporting page as for tidal salmon, does someone have a link to where it says you must retain the head on for salmon caught in non-tidal areas?

Cheers!

Ukee
Provincial regulations page 11

Yup, and the last bullet in the “Wrap it Right!” Section on page 11 of the BC freshwater regs reads:

“The management of salmon fisheries in B.C., in both tidal and freshwater, is the responsibility of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). Information about packaging and transporting salmon is available at www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/ points/packaging-emballage-eng.html.”

So, as others have posted, head can be removed from retained salmon so long as length w/o the head meets the min size req, as per DFO’s regs and “Packaging and Transportation” guidance.

Cheers!

Ukee

Yup, and the last bullet in the “Wrap it Right!” Section on page 11 of the BC freshwater regs reads:

“The management of salmon fisheries in B.C., in both tidal and freshwater, is the responsibility of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). Information about packaging and transporting salmon is available at www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/ points/packaging-emballage-eng.html.”

So, as others have posted, head can be removed from retained salmon so long as length w/o the head meets the min size req, as per DFO’s regs and “Packaging and Transportation” guidance.

Cheers!

Ukee
Above that it says leave head tail and fins on until you get home

Yes, which applies to the trout and other freshwater gamefish that the province manages. Salmon are managed by DFO and the provincial regs explicitly say this and directs folks to the DFO regs for packaging and transportation of salmon.

I don’t disagree that it is confusing for folks and the two jurisdictions could do a better job of coordinating and ensuring their regs don’t contradict each other, though I feel they do for the most part. However, the respective jurisdictions between DFO and the province are clear, salmon fisheries are managed and regulated by DFO and DFO’s regs are clear that you can remove the head from salmon so long as the min length is met by the headless carcass or fillet. (I’m sure you’ve noticed that the DFO regs allow salmon to be filleted, and those fillets to be cut into smaller pieces whereas the provincial reg, applicable to trout, doesn’t allow filleting until fish are at your residence, so the head on/off isn’t the only difference between what you are allowed to do with salmon you catch vs trout).

Cheers!

Ukee

you should leave the fillets attached tail for easy identification. also this allows for measurement of length

Back