Vedder/Chilliwack River Fishing reports. Fall - Winter season 2017

Maxonio

Hello folks,

My first post on this forum.

Let's share some reports from the Vedder/Chilliwack river.
I'm heading up there this upcoming weekend. Will fill you in, once I'm back from my fishing trip.

Last edited:
Great, I might get up there but I'm planning on camping Sept 23rd for 3 nights and Oct. 5th for 5 nights. I always have fun up there. When its crazy busy you just have to do the walks to get away from people....

Cheers, Rob

I'm heading up towards there this weekend as well. But fishing Chilliwack Lake for a couple days, avoiding the river shenanigans altogether. I'll hit the river for steelhead when the gong show is over.

If you do the long walks you will get away from the Yahoo!'s and meet some great guys. I've had some great days up there the past couple of years even on the Thanksgiving weekend.

Cheers, Rob

Agree with Marsman, if you try avoiding some popular spots, you can find some decent pools :) But from what I've heard, right now the water is very low (we need some rain - I can't believe I'm saying that being a Vancouverite :). Somebody told me that you actually can just walk across the river, near the Vedder Bridge.

Caught a coho hatch and jack spring on tues. Went 1 for 5 today. Lost 2 coho. A jack coho and jack spring. Kept one silver jack spring.

Most guys want to fish "pools" so hard to find nice looking water to yourself these days. A tactic I have gone to is fishing "******" water close to shore. Usually 8-16" deep. Trust me it works and most guys that see what your up to will try but I guess there is a lack of mental stimulation from this tactic and they give up within the first 5 min lol. Lots of ****** water out there

Caught a coho hatch and jack spring on tues. Went 1 for 5 today. Lost 2 coho. A jack coho and jack spring. Kept one silver jack spring.
Do you mind me asking, which part of the river did you fish at? I'm going there tomorrow and Sunday, last time I fished there was last year. Vedder river tend to change every year. I've heard that water in the river is very shallow right now.

Most guys want to fish "pools" so hard to find nice looking water to yourself these days. A tactic I have gone to is fishing "******" water close to shore. Usually 8-16" deep. Trust me it works and most guys that see what your up to will try but I guess there is a lack of mental stimulation from this tactic and they give up within the first 5 min lol. Lots of ****** water out there
Agree with you, and yes I do fish ****** waters too when there is no other choice.. Patience pays off :)

I spent a weekend on Vedder river.

On Saturday, I was fishing my favourite pool.
Caught 3 wild coho's with the first light.
One baby steal-head (very beautiful little fish)
15-20 Pinks (doe's and dog's)
And buddy of mine caught plenty of pinks also and one silver Jack Spring.

On Sunday morning I went to fish under Keith Wilson bridge for some springs. Dozen's of monster-Chinook's were caught in front of me. But what a gong show it was, probably 40+ people. Tangling each others lines, snagging on each other. Arguing with each other.
I ended up landing a very decent size red spring doe and left right away. Never coming back to that spot again :(

Well I don't profess to be a river fisherman by any means. But in the next few years I hope to put in some time and with the help of some fishing buddies I might be catching more than just snags and skunks at the river. Join us on a beautiful day on the picturesque Chilliwack river in this video. I long line released a few and the fish I actually brought in looks like the fish either missed the jig or I was just full on snagged into her. We never intentionally snag them just sometimes seems to happen especially with the twitching jigs.

You can have it ........ What a Gong Show!

You can hardly call it Fishing with all the snaggers, flossers, can't believe DFO doesn't do more to these poachers, specially Hong Kong Alley!

Pathetic sport in this location some continue to call fishing........ It's NOT

Back