Vancouver Update-from Predator Charters

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: July 8th/2003.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Since my last report we have had some major changes in our saltwater fishery. Coho arrived off West Vancouver in large numbers during the last week of June, and the Squamish Chinook also started to arrive in Howe Sound in good numbers.

The first wave of Coho came in off West Vancouver with a "bang", and provided some very good fishing for a few days as those anglers fishing up on the Dundarave "flats" were hooking a dozen or more fish. Unfortunately, it began to rain on the 29th, and I believe those fish took a look into the Capilano River, and never made it back out (I am sure some traveled up, but the weirs and snagging hooks took a huge toll). This caused a significant drop in the catch rates, and the Coho fishing has been considerably slower than it was during those first few days.

At the present time this fishery seems to be changing almost daily. Some days are quite slow, but the next can be decent. In addition, quite a few large Chinook have been caught over the past week, and at times the Chinook fishing has been VERY good. There has yet to be a consistent pattern that has held up for several days in a row, but the high slack right off the mouth of the Capilano seems to be the best bet for Chinook (as it usually is).

Presently most of the Coho action seems to be found out off the Caulfield area (Fisheries Research Station) on the ebbing tide, though some fish are still coming from the Dundarave "flats" (ebb or flood) and off Ambleside (flood). When fishing out off Caulfield, troll between 20 and 80 feet with bait (anchovy), hootchies (white or other pale colours), or small spoons like the Gypsy or Coyote (Paddy Wagon, Rainbow, Blood and Bones, or Wonder Bread colour patterns), or the Ultra Lure (pink or rainbow).

Up in Howe Sound we have seen the start of the Squamish Chinook run. Large Chinook (15 to 25 pounds) are being caught on a regular basis, and a 44 lb monster was landed on July 4th just north of Sunset Marina. We have seen a couple slower days during the early part of this week, but the run is just getting going, and good Chinook fishing will be found in Howe Sound for the next few weeks.

Most anglers have been concentrating their efforts between Hole in the Wall and Lions Bay, but as we get into the middle part of July I think we will find better fishing further up the sound around Furry Creek, Brunswick Pt, Britannia, or Defence Islands. Trolling Anchovies between 65 and 95 feet has been the most productive during the early part of this run. Later in July I would expect that the depths may "shallow up" a bit, and the 35 to 70 foot range may be your best bet. This will be especially true when fishing further up Howe Sound as the Chinook will be relating to the freshwater layer at the top of the water column.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.

that's why there's a warranty!

Back