Vancouver Trap Theft/Raid Insantity 2017 Thread.

Have you had traps raided and/or stolen in Vancouver area waters in 2017?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
While those boats mentioned in this thread certainly appear to have been caught red handed, I would stongly urge caution if you only suspect a boat.

On two occasions I have been berated by idiots for trap poaching while pulling my own traps.....!? Including once by an individual that has posted in this thread. Went something like this :

Them:"You mother #&*@er you're stealing my trap"
Me: "what the #&~@ are you talking about? This is my trap."
Them: "well I set here and can't find my trap"
Me: holds up buoy with my name and trap that's not theirs.
Them : "oh... Um..... Sorry"

Remember where you set traps, others set traps. If you suspect a boat pulling traps in the same general area as your traps, chances are they are just pulling their own damn traps people!

Last edited:
I've done a number of searches and can't actually find the link, would you happen to have it handy so I can forward it on. Much appreciated @Silver Tip

For those that are interested, I can confirm with 100 certainty that the Gypsea Drifter is moored at Pier 73. He left the dock at 830am today and at 930am yesterday. He heads up river when he leaves and passes under the swing bridge. It would be a shame if a few cinder blocks mysteriously fell from the bridge at the right time...

For those that are interested, I can confirm with 100 certainty that the Gypsea Drifter is moored at Pier 73. He left the dock at 830am today and at 930am yesterday. He heads up river when he leaves and passes under the swing bridge. It would be a shame if a few cinder blocks mysteriously fell from the bridge at the right time...

Thanks for reporting his whereabouts yesterday, Soon as i seen it on the forums we went and pull our traps and got 4 nice keepers. Had a boarding party with us yesterday so its good thing they were not by our traps

I've done a number of searches and can't actually find the link, would you happen to have it handy so I can forward it on. Much appreciated @Silver Tip
...go to www.stolenboats.ca ... links ... Vancouver Police ... I'm hoping for a more direct link soon ...
This Marine Site has been developed by the members mentioned on the 'about us' tab. They work their small division to the best of their underfunded capabilities. With more communication to this VPD Unit in regards to our theft issues on the water we may be able to get something done "legally" about the bottom feeders on the water. Glad this document was finally developed and this action recognized as theft under the criminal code.

Well, at least they seem willing to act on it. I've personally given up on dropping my traps on the weekend. The frequency of trap raids is just insane.
yup...same here...the VPD needs us to provide as much info as possible so they can handle the theft and we can keep fishing...

Was just thinking if you guys want those Gypsea pirates to stop maybe someone could print off a photo of their boat and plaster it all around that marina they're tied up to. "WANTED Trap thieves" or something to that effect
People don't like their dirty habits aired out in public like that. One less vessel off the trap raid list

Or set up a sting with some binoculars and video but when I'm on the water I'd much rather be paying attention to the rods ;)

Set up an exploding ink cannister in the trap that will let go after experiencing a drop in pressure (ie pulling up trap) without the corresponding RFID chip being present. Or even better, a finely aged chum roe smoothie. Hmm.. project time?

The police really need to do something. We sit at our marina starting at those bastards over at pier 73. Some people are getting really pissed off

Set up an exploding ink cannister in the trap that will let go after experiencing a drop in pressure (ie pulling up trap) without the corresponding RFID chip being present. Or even better, a finely aged chum roe smoothie. Hmm.. project time?

On Deadliest Catch some of the crews would put flour bombs on the lines of another boat's trap, just to mess with them.
The bag of flour would burst open when it hit the pulley of the trap puller, assuming this boat is using a trap puller.

Would be funny to see it burst open on them.

I couldn't find the link to that stolenboats.ca/crimestoppers flyer so typed this out letter by letter

https://www.canlii.org/en/nl/nlpc/d...QAQdGhlZnQgb2YgbG9ic3RlcgAAAAAB&resultIndex=3

"Taking a lobster from a fisherman’s lobster pot without permission to do so is theft. Both defendants were working together, with Kearley operating the tiller of the boat, and Lavhey pulling the lobster pot out of the water to take the lobster from it: both defendants are therefore guilty of theft of lobster from Roy Farewell’s lobster trap.

Counsel for the defendants said that, since there was no way of knowing whether there might be anything in the pots which were hauled and subsequently found empty, the defendants could not be convicted of attempted theft. I disagree. Pulling a lobster trap to the surface is to my mind comparable to opening a safe: the person opening the box has no idea what is in it until he gets it open, but he opens it with the intention of taking its contents. Given the removal and retention of every lobster from every lobster pot that they hauled, it is clear to me that the defendants intended to take lobster from the traps that they hauled...It is therefore logical to conclude that both defendants are guilty of the two charges of attempted theft.[7]"

Cinderblock with trebles in the line. Great idea.

Start the hooks about 15 feet from bottom.

We are re-posting this from page 3 of this thread for those who may have missed it.

"As for those of you advocating taking matters into your own hands if you encounter people raiding your traps, you may want to temper your comments as to how far you would be willing to go to defend your property. While no one here would advocate that anyone messing with someone else's property is tolerable, putting in writing on a public forum what actions you might take to deal with the matter is not recommended. If you happen to follow through on something you publicly said you were going to do, it changes your position dramatically when the premise of premeditation comes into play. That is why, in our posting guidelines, we do not allow the promotion of illegal activities and why we have had contact from various authorities in the past regarding posts that have been made by members of the forum."

Hi Everyone, it has been brought to attention that there have been recent post about GypSea Drifter and wanted to post a quick update that the boat was recently sold 2 months ago and is now under new ownership. Thought everyone would appreciate to know that the previous behaviour will not be continuing! The boat was formerly part of a boat share program with different people taking it out everyday.

Just like everyone else we enjoy really fishing and crabbing and ask that you please don't automatically assume because we are nearby traps we are raiding or stealing them. It is not always easy to identify your trap from a distance as the floats drift and there are often other traps put down in close proximity. Everyone should also be happy to hear that the authorities did take action last week and are on it - they boarded and did a complete search and didn't find anything. We never raid or steal traps even though out traps get raided and stolen too just like everyone else; and have also never found a bottle of liquor in lieu.

On the other hand though, we would like to take responsibility for coming in too fast and too close between the two boats and apologise for the mistake that was made.

Hoping that the local fishing community won't hold GypSea responsible for the actions of the previous owner, and would like to rebuild the reputation of the boat with the help of the community. Just yesterday GypSea helped tow a boat that ran out of gas to a nearby gas barge and is always available to lend a hand if needed.

Hope this post gives everyone on this forum peace of mind to know that there is one less poacher out on the water now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back