Vancouver to tofino/ukee

Whitebuck

Thinking of flying over this year instead of dealing with the ferrys..
Leaving out of vancouver, I see orca air flys to tofino. Anybody have any experience or thoughts? Ukee isour destination.
Thx

Thinking of flying over this year instead of dealing with the ferrys..
Leaving out of vancouver, I see orca air flys to tofino. Anybody have any experience or thoughts? Ukee isour destination.
Thx
Yep done it great flight super fast and relatively inexpensive when you consider time in vehicle , gas and of course ferry. Flight home was a little more challenging because you could only bring I think 50Lb bag? that kind sucked as far as bringing any fish home so you would have to arrange your fish to be shipped....

Ya....Orca is 40lbs baggage, you can pay for extra but it's based on space.

I have flown a few times and it certainly is nice compared to the ferry/driving. One thing to be aware of is that you CAN get fogged in where you can't get in or out.

Yes, they are working on improved lighting and the gps system upgrades for improved service but who knows when that will be ready. Trilogy fish in Tofino has a great shipping service anywhere in Canada but not to the US due to their TSA problems

KD air also flys Vancouver to Tofino.

I fly it often. The baggage allowance is quite low @ 40 lbs. There are ways to get it to 50.

Fog can cause delays, and in some cases they will bus you across island to take a flight off of ECVI.

So far it looks like we found a flight there and back for 700 all in for 2 people.
Prob going to have to pay an extra 100 or more for added fish weight though. Every exrta lb is a buck.
Figure with taxi and extra fish weight going to cost just under a 1000$.
Ferry + gas for 2 guys prob be around 500$

Just be sure to ask them the odds of having your cargo 'bumped' as I know Orca says extra baggage is based upon availability. I did look into this 2 years ago as a buddy was flying back one way out of Tofino. Would be a pain in the butt to have to scramble while at the airport because you couldn't get all of your fish on to the flight. :mad:

As mentioned earlier, you may want to make sure you've got a bit of flexibility as required in case of fog. I know last year when going into Kyuquot I was the one who drove because we needed much more gear in there than they could take on the chartered Beaver. It was fogged in when we got there via 'land' and the others who were our hosts had to sit at YVR/SeaAir with me on the phone every bit to see what the ceiling and fog looked like in Kyuquot. They ended up getting flown to Campbell River and then had to hire a van to drive them from CR to Fair Harbour where we picked them up by boat. Just a lesson in "expect the unexpected". ;)

Probably going to book the extra seat so dont have to deal with the weight issue.
As for the fog issue just gonna have to hope its now socked in.
Appreciate the info!!

Back