Vancouver Saltchuk

getbent

Just thought it was time to start a new thread seeing that the old one is 41 pages long.

Just wonder if anybody has any recent info as to what is happening from New Years on for the area.

Cheers,

Getbent

There have been some surprisingly good reports over the last 3 weeks I do know a few lucky anglers who have been getting legal fish on successive trips out...followed by a stinker trip or two and then some action. The usual places and techniques have been producing for this time of year.

Check out some of the local charter websites for reports. I know many of the positive reports to be true.

isnt anybody but the charters out there
Come on boys, someone has to be out there

quote:Originally posted by getbent

isnt anybody but the charters out there
Come on boys, someone has to be out there

Charters catch fish...the more you fish..the more you catch!

The last week hasn't been "HOT" by any stretch of imagination...but...you never know... :) :)O

For those who are interested....there are some decent fish around now. Biggest I heard of today was 29.5 inches. I know of 5 fish today between two boats. Two were just legal, the other 3 were larger. Nice day out there!!!

FM

Pics from yesterday....

A question was asked on another forum if Vancouver Harbour/English Bay was open during the Olympics...the answer is YES!

I expect every charter boat to be booked solid during and well after the Olympics so there should be lots of reports starting to come in and lots of boats to fish around.

Some nice keepers...

http://www.bonchovy.com/blog/2010/01/january-17-report/

Thanks FM,
I hope to be out by the end of the month.
A couple of my friends were out last saturday, lotsa shackers but no luck on any keepers.

Getbent

Hey what is the word on Olympic Closures?

I heard the harbour is closed for all Rec. Users.
Also heard nothing from Point Grey to Atkinson for Rec. users.

Any one know for sure?
How might this all affect weekend warriors?

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

Hey what is the word on Olympic Closures?

I heard the harbour is closed for all Rec. Users.
Also heard nothing from Point Grey to Atkinson for Rec. users.

Any one know for sure?
How might this all affect weekend warriors?

No Olympic Closures until you get well under the 1st Narrows Bridge--where you shouldn't be fishing anyways. English Bay "the harbour" as it has come to be known is open for business!!!!

Yes, but I have heard its closed for boaters,no rec. transit thru the harbour. What does a person do when they have their boat in the marina. And yes sure it has been closed for fishing for years past the first narrows/lions gate bridge.

Just asking.

Is the a link somewhere that shows the closures and the opening of these waters?

Q:Is the a link somewhere that shows the closures and the opening of these waters?

A:

I know all the charter firms in the city and there are 2 fishing charter businesses right by the Bayshore..which is pretty much ground zero for the rich and famous IOC royalty and the businesses have been formally told they have will have no problems coming and going from their boats and entering/leaving the marina. There's a couple in Mosquito Creek, False Creek..and there should be no problem for them either. I believe restrictions will be around critical response teams bases and around the cruiseships which will be moored to provide accommodations. Primarily, I expect road closures to be the only hiccups. I imagine the transportation infrastructure (the bridges) will have heavy security, but a sportfishing craft which can easily be checked with a Zodiac will be of low concern/risk.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/2010/Access.aspx

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/pacific/publications-2010wintergamesmarineinformation-1300.htm

From Sunday...my report:

January 31 Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well..headed out fishing this morning. Was the first one on the water and went on the hunt. Nice day out there...a light Easterly wind, glassy calm and quite mild...12 degrees...got to love it. Had 5 fish on, 2 of which were well under, one a keeper, another which popped off but got tangled in the top rod, another that gave a good strike but disappeared before I could set the hooks. A quiet day, and there were plenty of boats out today...I counted 10 in the bay. Heard some of the guys nestled in behind Bowen did well...one local charter boat with 3 keepers from Tunstall.

We wrapped up the day with 12 nice Dungeness...which was a better showing than has been of late.

Looking forward to next weekend!

FM.

Check out this nice report I just got...sounds like the backside of Bowen has produced a few over the last few days....and I'm stuck at work!!!! DOH!!!

Bon Chovy Fishing Charters Report, February 02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter chinook salmon season is now in full swing!!! There are more and more boats out plying local Vancouver waters as of late! There has been some nice chinook salmon being caught as well as lots of dungeness crabs! Salmon fishing in Vancouver harbour was slower over the last week likely to the unfavourable tides. The tides are looking really good coming up so fishing should really pick up this week. We found that the flooding tide has been more productive than the ebb tide over the last few weeks. The backside of Bowen Island on the other hand fished really well over the weekend with some nice chinook salmon up to 20 pounds landed. The backside of Bowen fishes best on an ebb tide.(which happended all weekend)

We have had the bulk of our success running coyote spoons near the bottom. Some guys have been starting to get good results on anchovies as well. The key to good winter chinook fishing is locating schools of bait. Recently the salmon we have cleaned back at the dock have had 4" herring and shiner perch in their stomachs!

The 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games are almost here! If you have visitors from out of town there is no better way to show them the beauty of Vancouver than from the water! It is a great way to combine a sightseeing trip with a salmon fishing trip!

Please give us a call to book a charter!

Tight Lines

Jeff and Jason
www.bonchovy.com

Just off the phone with a buddy who hit up Tunstall Bay this morning and fished through the backside until 3 this afternoon. A few boats out this morning and he saw 2 fish caught in the "low teens". He hit 4 undersize.... finally got a nice fish on, then got sealed when close to the boat. He estimated it at 10 pounds. Nothing for the next hour but they did finish the day with another fish which shook off behind the boat.

Coyote Spoons were all he was fishing all day.

A beautiful morning on the water in Vancouver Harbour on Saturday. There was little bait along the West Van waterfront, some bait at the QB marker and no keeper salmon. I threw back one about 22 inches and saw a couple other boats release undersized fish.

Is Bowen a better option right now?

Yesterday was a slower day. One Pro in Tunstall said it was slow over that way. I hit one nice fish right off the bat, but we lost it early. A 22 lber was hit off the Cap a couple of days ago. Lots and lots of boats out yesterday--heard nothing but reports of undersize.... a glass calm day...quite warm as well...no complaints other than the cesspool of seals, saw about 50 plus animals out there!!! Fishing wasn't "on" yesterday. I know one guy who is out there now. Will report back.

Back