Vancouver Saltchuck?

quote:Originally posted by tortuga

quote:

At any rate, for those who haven't put the boat in the water and fish local to Vancouver... I'm telling you..."THE TIME IS NOW!". Those who know me know exactly what I mean by that statement. [8]

Here we go again [xx(]

Hey Moocher, watch out for those guys that cut you off:D

Roger Roger Tortuga - I hope "Captain Cut off" took a power squadron course over the winter[:0]

Fished from 7:30am to 2:30pm when we (my buddy and I) got the fourth fish in the boat.

Fishing the hump south of Bowen using anchovies at 90 to 130 feet - green flashed and purple flasher.

Nice and flat - sunny too

OK, here are the photos from my friends trip out by the QA today:

IMG_1943-2apr10-2009.jpg

IMG_1945-apr10-2009.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

nice! Are the fish in general still on bottom or venturing up a bit? Can you see much on the sounder corresponding to your fishing depth? Thanks

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

nice! Are the fish in general still on bottom or venturing up a bit? Can you see much on the sounder corresponding to your fishing depth? Thanks

The large one was hooked right on the surface while he brought the line in.

The smaller one was hooked at 60'

See report above for more details.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Was out this morning. Managed two good strikes. 1 stuck, it went 18 lbs and was bright Chrome. Hit like a freight train and just ripped off a hundred yards of line like it was nothing! Hatchery marked Red Spring. Another couple of radio fish reported, but not hot and heavy. The Slash/Hump produced a couple more fish. It was blowing a nasty SE'er and there was enough fetch to blow up a decent chop. Not a whole lot of people out fishing. I counted just eight boats.

Hard to read and get a feel for the water this morning..but overall not too bad! [8D]

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

Where we're fishing the fish are suspended from 40 to 140 feet. It's a long way to the bottom out there!!! 400 feet and much deeper

The fish are chasing schools of herring of the 5 to 7 inch variety. One guy reported finding shrimp in one of his fish. The massive schools of herring have broken up from last week and the fish are seemingly in "pockets".

My last 6 fish have all had herring in their stomachs and I'm not doing donuts around the bait balls either.

Most of the fish you don't see on the sounder..however you do see the bait! Last weekend I went through one bait ball and marked 2 decent fish around it but didn't hook them.

Quotes from fishin_magician:

quote:Well, I'm just off the water. Whoever is saying that fishing is slow needs to go to a fishing clinic and get their angling skills evaluated. It's not "slow" by any stretch of imagination.

So, you start off your posting by insulting every fisherman on the water yesterday. Nice. :(

quote:Most boats managed to pick up a fish or two today.

Really [?]

Care to name those boats who caught fish yesterday?

I heard my friends VHF over the phone while he was talking with me. It was very SLOW. Most boats had not seen more than a hit if they even had that much luck.

My friend is also a former guide and knows most of the guides in the Vancouver area. The guides were not doing well yesterday. Do you think the weekend warriors were outfishing the entire guide fleet? Seems unlikely.

quote:We managed 3 ourselves. A 12 and 16 on a double header--and the third was a decent sized blooper fish which hit on the way up right at the end of our day

This sounds... er.. "fishy".

My friend hooked 5 fish yesterday, boated 3, boxed 2 and lost 2 while fighting them.

You on the other hand caught all the fish you reported. You didn't lose any of them? You didn't mention where you were fishing, or what bait/lure you were using or how deep you were fishing when you caught your fish.

You also did not post any photos.

quote:I know of a few other boats who reported putting a fish or two in the box with a shot at a couple

Again, name them. First, it was "most boats" now it is just a "few boats".

quote:...it basically depends on how much water you covered--and finding the pockets of fish. Cover more water and you'll find them.

Quite true. My friend covered a lot of water from 7:30 AM to 10:15 AM before he hit his first fish. Indicating that there are not a lot of fish around and you have to seek them out. They are not hiding in ALL the traditional hotspots. Of all the boats out yesterday, how many do you think were lucky enough to stumble over the few schools of fish that were around?

quote:The other thing is that not everyone states how they're doing on the VHF either.

Again, true. However, they generally don't get on the radio and state that they have not caught anything or even gotten a hit and then contiue witht the comment that "it is really slow today."

I don't really mean to pick your post apart, but after reading it several times, it comes across as someone who has a real attitude and how dare anyone outfish him. I'm sure that you didn't mean it to sound like that.

I gave the forum as detailed a fishing report as I could to help the members who may be fishing in the Vancouver area. It doesn't help me any, I'm 200 miles away on the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

Best wishes,

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Quotes from fishin_magician:

quote:Well, I'm just off the water. Whoever is saying that fishing is slow needs to go to a fishing clinic and get their angling skills evaluated. It's not "slow" by any stretch of imagination.

So, you start off your posting by insulting every fisherman on the water yesterday. Nice. :(

quote:Most boats managed to pick up a fish or two today.

Really [?]

Care to name those boats who caught fish yesterday?

I heard my friends VHF over the phone while he was talking with me. It was very SLOW. Most boats had not seen more than a hit if they even had that much luck.

My friend is also a former guide and knows most of the guides in the Vancouver area. The guides were not doing well yesterday. Do you think the weekend warriors were outfishing the entire guide fleet? Seems unlikely.

quote:We managed 3 ourselves. A 12 and 16 on a double header--and the third was a decent sized blooper fish which hit on the way up right at the end of our day

This sounds... er.. "fishy".

My friend hooked 5 fish yesterday, boated 3, boxed 2 and lost 2 while fighting them.

You on the other hand caught all the fish you reported. You didn't lose any of them? You didn't mention where you were fishing, or what bait/lure you were using or how deep you were fishing when you caught your fish.

You also did not post any photos.

quote:I know of a few other boats who reported putting a fish or two in the box with a shot at a couple

Again, name them. First, it was "most boats" now it is just a "few boats".

quote:...it basically depends on how much water you covered--and finding the pockets of fish. Cover more water and you'll find them.

Quite true. My friend covered a lot of water from 7:30 AM to 10:15 AM before he hit his first fish. Indicating that there are not a lot of fish around and you have to seek them out. They are not hiding in ALL the traditional hotspots. Of all the boats out yesterday, how many do you think were lucky enough to stumble over the few schools of fish that were around?

quote:The other thing is that not everyone states how they're doing on the VHF either.

Again, true. However, they generally don't get on the radio and state that they have not caught anything or even gotten a hit and then contiue witht the comment that "it is really slow today."

I don't really mean to pick your post apart, but after reading it several times, it comes across as someone who has a real attitude and how dare anyone outfish him. I'm sure that you didn't mean it to sound like that.

I gave the forum as detailed a fishing report as I could to help the members who may be fishing in the Vancouver area. It doesn't help me any, I'm 200 miles away on the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

Best wishes,

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Sushihunter, check your inbox, I just sent you a PM with details.

Fished the upper sound. Had one good fish that broke off and that was it. 3 keeper crab and few prawns to round out the day.

quote:Originally posted by highfive

Just wondering if Sushihunter and FM made up yet????

Yep, that's why PM's are for.

"High Five"...as in the boat "High Five" ?

quote:Originally posted by highfive

Just wondering if Sushihunter and FM made up yet????

Ya, no problems on this end. :)

FM's email explained much that was missing from his public post on here.

Part of the problem is that ones view of the world is based on the info you have from personal observations of the world around you.

FM observed some fish being caught - my friend observed that few fish were caught.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

David Korsch's Latest:....

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: April 13/2009.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

I'm finally getting a bit better at getting my reports out on a more regular basis (though it has still been almost a month). Of course the fact that the fishing has picked up significantly during the past week prompted me to get on the computer.

As expected, the action picked up over the Easter weekend (the full moon tends to help at this time of year), though it was Friday and the excellent conditions on the water that made for the best fishing. I do tend to find that sunny weather definitely has a positive influence on the results off South Bowen at this time of year.

We have also seen the usual "hot spots" in the lower portion of Howe Sound continue to produce well (especially Grace Islands), and the upper Sound has also turned on. The Porteau Cove/Defence Island/Furry Creek areas seem to be on again/off again on a day to day basis, but the other factor is that there is a large herd of seals up in the area. From all the reports I've heard about which place is hot, and which is not it is just a matter of avoiding the location where the seals are hanging out on any given day.

I'd expect to see the good results continue over the next couple weeks anyway, though there still seems to be less small fish (undersize and legal) around. The vast majority of fish getting boated are in the low to mid-teens. We are seeing almost an even split between fish taken on anchovy, and those taken on spoons (Gypsy or Coyote in green/glow colours for the most part). south Bowen is tending to produce around the 100' depth (+/- 10 feet or so), though the odd angler has located a concentration of Chinook feeing on sticklebacks in the 40 to 60' range. If you happen to troll across a large school of bait up shallow, it may be worth your while to bring a couple lines up to that depth. Horseshoe Bay is still stuffed with 2" sticklebacks, so I'm sure they will be targeted by the Chinook for at least a couple more weeks (until they move off.....wherever they go.....).

It is still a bit early for Gulf Island trips, and the action over there has been pretty slow. Give it another month (near the early May full moon or the new moon later in the month??) before it should really begin to turn on over there.

If you need to get out on a weekend, this upcoming weekend will be your only opportunity. I already have a tentative charter booked on the Saturday morning (April 18th), but I do have the afternoon open and all day Sunday. The following weekend (April 25/26) I am unavailable on both days. I am basically available for mid-week charters most days, but I only have every other weekend open. I am continuing to work on construction projects in the marina mid-week (likely through early May), but I am usually able to get away from that to do charters on short notice.

At this time of year, weather is still a factor at times, but when it is nice the longer daylight hours and evenings (due to the earlier change to daylight savings time) are really starting to make the days on the water enjoyable. Don't be afraid to call even with less than a day's notice, as that can still often work out at this time of year.

Of course, my prawn traps will still be out until the end of April so there should be some of them to add to any salmon we catch. As of May 1st, the commercial season begins in Howe Sound, so I will stop putting out my traps while they are open (usually a couple months)

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

:D:D

Hi there FM. Its a bit of a moot point now but anyway I am the guy that phoned Jim while fishing the other day (April 10) and yes it was slow early for several guys but it did pick up and get better later in the morning and afternoon. Water under the bridge now, I guess. Anyway I can vouch for Jim thAT several boats did report on the radio that morning that it was a bit slow (early) for them - your comment about those that reported it slow needing a clinic to evaluate their fishing skills seems a tad narrow minded of you to say( if you don't mind me saying so ). Off Bowen surely you know that you simply run into a school and you most likely get fish if you have right depth. You find it slow one hour, the next you hit a school and all of a sudden its a different story - surely you know this ?? Also you have to remember that at this time of year off Bowen " slow" can mean not hitting 6-10 fish on an 5 our trip. Often double digits in fish is common.
.....a bit of an interesting aspect of Friday is that if you read korsch's report (that you posted here on this forum) the part about 40'-60' depth and bring your lines up and the fish feeding on shallow sticklebacks. Thats passed on from me. The fish I bonked on Friday were among the first of the season indicating the feeding on the sticklebacks that have moved into some local areas ---so feed is not all about the herring (or krill) right now. Quite cool actually. It always nice knowing that if there is a lack of herring/ sardine/pilchards/ krill ....the'll eat whatevers available!

quote:Originally posted by keta863

Hi there FM. Its a bit of a moot point now but anyway I am the guy that phoned Jim while fishing the other day (April 10) and yes it was slow early for several guys but it did pick up and get better later in the morning and afternoon. Water under the bridge now, I guess. Anyway I can vouch for Jim thAT several boats did report on the radio that morning that it was a bit slow (early) for them - your comment about those that reported it slow needing a clinic to evaluate their fishing skills seems a tad narrow minded of you to say( if you don't mind me saying so ). Off Bowen surely you know that you simply run into a school and you most likely get fish if you have right depth. You find it slow one hour, the next you hit a school and all of a sudden its a different story - surely you know this ?? Also you have to remember that at this time of year off Bowen " slow" can mean not hitting 6-10 fish on an 5 our trip. Often double digits in fish is common.
.....a bit of an interesting aspect of Friday is that if you read korsch's report (that you posted here on this forum) the part about 40'-60' depth and bring your lines up and the fish feeding on shallow sticklebacks. Thats passed on from me. The fish I bonked on Friday were among the first of the season indicating the feeding on the sticklebacks that have moved into some local areas ---so feed is not all about the herring (or krill) right now. Quite cool actually. It always nice knowing that if there is a lack of herring/ sardine/pilchards/ krill ....the'll eat whatevers available!

:D :D :D

PM sent.

Back