Vancouver - rivers inlet

adanac

Hey guys, planning to do a 9 day Vancouver - rivers inlet / hakai pass trip on our 33 Grady this summer ( first two weeks of August. We are open to staying on the hook but also wouldn't mind a night or two accommodation . Looking for general information on this from people who have done it . Lodges to stay at, good anchorages , how to split up the trip travel wise, favorite areas ect.

I would Moore up in telegraph cove for the night on the run up. We ran my friends rig from rivers back to vancouver. Telegraph was a high light for me.

Telegraph Cove is an awesome little community, and it does have marine gas to fuel the boat. I have stayed there in the past and have liked the location. Although, to my mind the condo development has somewhat taken away from it's rustic charm. As it is easily accessible by paved road these days I would personally look for a port that is more off the beaten path to overnight. Murph is right Telegraph Cove is a cool place to visit, but you can easily go there if you are visiting the north island with a vehicle. If I were doing that kind of trip by boat, I think I would want to stop at a few places that I might never get to see without a boat. That's just my perspective, but I've already spent a fair bit of time in that area. I'd rather stop at a few places that I might never get to see without a large boat at my personal disposal.

I'm sorry, I don't have any alternative suggestions. Perhaps others could give you some ideas, or maybe pick up a copy of a cruising guide that might give you some ideas. I'd suggest contacting any location you're considering staying at by phone first. Gas barge hours and moorage availability can change with little notice, and you don't want to be surprised if you arrive without prior contact. Best to make reservations in advance, especially if traveling around the August long weekend. A good current cruising guide should list all the marina phone numbers and their hailing channels on the VHF radio.

Good luck, and good fishing. That sounds like a bucket list trip for sure.

I presume you will be going through Discovery Passage in front of Campbell River? If flexible and interested in a slight scenic spin, Desolation Sound is always amazing - Tenedos Bay on the pick, Pendrell Sound, mouth of Toba inlet for some scenery...

i would definately do the scenic route.. east side of cortez/reed then up through the narrows.. very nice!

The most detailed and readable guide to cruising the waters of the PNW would have to be the Waggoner. It's been around for decades and is updated every year. Focused on cruising boats rather than the faster day fishing boats like your Grady, but still a wealth of information. Take their directions on tidal rapids with a grain of salt - whilst these are definitely to be treated with respect, faster boats with planing hulls have a bigger safe transit window than a displacement boat that's maxed at 12 knots. Having said that, if you have some flexibility with dates, it doesn't hurt to plan your run for first quarter or third quarter weeks when the tide changes are smaller and therefore the safe passage times have longer duration.
http://waggonerguide.com/

I'm also planning a trip up the passage this summer and up the East side of the island but not up as far as Rivers. Between a good boat chart card and Google Earth you can plan a great trip and make notes of where marina's are with fuel, moorage bays, shore accommodations etc. If you are bringing kayaks and want to plan little inlet/bay kayak trips it's easy to make notes of depths and rock outcrops on a notebook before you go and make your plans. With google earth you can make your whole trip plan course, make notes on the maps, print them out in detail in different parts of your trip. I like to laminate trip maps I make so they don't get damaged by water etc. I agree the smaller channels between the islands is much more scenic and you'll see stuff you've never seen before. Some of BC's most beautiful coast. I wouldn't get too hung up on tides/currents etc. As long as you look at your chart well and plan your trip you'll see the shallow reef areas etc. And just mark your tides down for those areas you have to be careful around.
My trip is also a bit of a exploration of potential scuba diving spots where accommodations are close by around Quadra and up further in some of the more remote inlets etc.
Make sure you bring a satellite phone for back up to your VHF and other emergency items. Lot's of spots up there you won't have cell service.
Telegraph cove is beautiful. We've been there a couple of times. Our kids love it and the whale museum is great too. Good fishing around there too for Springs and the odd Hali. Great prawning up some of the inlets too. You'll have an awesome trip. Take lot's of pictures!

There was a pretty inclusive thread about a run something similar that a member made, be worth talking with him perhaps...

Duncanby is a sweet stopover for a shower and a great meal.

Where also looking at doing the trip. Can anyone list fuel stops? It's the only part I get uneasy about

If you want to take the scenic route up North run North to the Dent Island area and stay at Denham Bay (great spot and owners) Fuel in Blind channel on way out and you are about 4 hours from Port McNeil. At the PM marina you are a short walk to town ( 2 blocks) where there is a grocery store, beer store and tackle stores. Fuel has always been a decent price there. You are about 45 mins run to Hardy (great fishing too) and then 3 hours or less to Rivers. We go up every year on a 60 footer and normally base our selves out of Duncanby as this is a great place to tie up. They have fuel and a restaurant. Lots of great fishing knowledge on the docks at Duncanby. Hakai Pass is only a few hours North and if the waters are good try getting to Spider Bank/Island area as the Spring fishing is great. A couple years back we ran to Milbank Sound and the fishing was very good but an open water fishery.

Easy run up North just watch the wind and tides in Johnstone as it can get ugly......

Johnstone was so gnarly when we ran through there in my buddy's 33 blackfin. Good advice on watching that body of water.

Johnstone was so gnarly when we ran through there in my buddy's 33 blackfin. Good advice on watching that body of water.
yes it can really kick it through there, and I've had several trips cut short because it was blowing 40-50 knots for days. Thought it was going to blow my camper and truck over it was so bad at times. Didn't dare go near the water, most people pulled their boats out when it started kicken up like that. But lots of times its just like a lake, you just never know.

Last edited:
yes it can really kick it through there, and I've had several trips cut short because it was blowing 40-50 knots for days. Thought it was going to blow my camper and truck over it was so bad at times. Didn't dare go near the water, most people pulled their boats out when it started kicken up like that. But lots of times its just like a lake, you just never know.
Ya - it's a wind funnel there - esp a SouthEast wind...

Been meaning to ask tug.... Is that the seaspan star in your avtar? Stacks look red and the high bow? Name is to fuzzy

Johnstone Straights can be ugly. Especially off of Kelsey bay. Ebb tide against a NW or a Flood against a SE will build into a short high chop that will kick the crap out of you. I have seen it 6-8 footers in front of Kelsey but **** on a plate by the time I got to Port Neville. It is best travelled at first light before the heat kicks up the out flows. First light crossing of Cape Caution is advised as well. Of course there is always the Fogust issues to deal with. Fuel is available in Campbell River, Browns Bay, Blind Channel, Lagoon Cove, Echo Bay, Sullivan Bay, Telegraph Cove, Port McNeil, Port Hardy, Duncanby, Dawsons Landing (I think is still available) and Shearwater. I have a two week window. Last week of July and the first week of August. Shearwater / Hakai / Rivers is our goal. Exploring the first week Then a tyee for the wife in the second week. Fourth trip for me and first for my wife. Don't think I will even get sniff on the salmon rod unless there is a double. Can't wait.

Last edited:
If Johnstone Straight is not playing nice turn in at Port Harvey. You can run up Chatham Channel to Lagoon Cove. Fuel is reasonable and they have the best showers on the coast. Run out through Blackfish Sound or tuck up Retreat Passage to Echo Bay. Run in the protected waters of the Boughton's with a top up of fuel at Sullivan Bay. Wait out the weather and make your Cape Caution run from the Broughton's side of Queen Charlotte Straight. Give Cape Caution a wide berth as wind and tide can make it a nasty piece of water. I have made the trip hugging Vancouver Island side and the mainland side. Let the weather dictate and watch the currents through the rapids. It is a great trip no matter which way you go. We have spent the last 5 years holidaying 10 days in late July exploring the Broughton's. Still lots to see there. Boating the BC coast is a life time commitment of new adventures. What started out as a fishing obsession is growing into more cruising and exploring with enough fishing to keep the freezer topped up. Just keep safe and respect mother nature.

Back