Vancouver Island Smallmouth Bass Fishing

B

bsommerfeld

Hey guys!

Wondering what your guy's favorite lakes for Smallies are? And what are your most effective baits/lures?

I;ve been to Long lake in Nanaimo quite a bit and rarely am I disappointed. Usually end up with a few 2-3 lb'ers.

Been to St Mary's Lake on Saltspring twice now and both times caught upwards of 20 smallies. About 90% of those are quite small though with only
a few being 2lb's +.

Most of the time I just use a simple wacky rig on a weedless hook with a Havoc or Powerbait plastic worm.
Also I use a Rapala Topwater minnow early mornings with some success.

Thanks!
-Ben

Prospect Lake and Elk Lake gives up some smallies. Some giants like the one I reeled in at Prospect Lake. Impressive size. Due to my best knowledge, St. Mary Lake has large population of smallies and give lots of action in the summertime. Flies,bait, and hardware are good.

I like Shawnigan Lake myself. We fish the shoreline and beside the docks with Yum Dinger worms. The black with silver
specks kind work really well. I Texas rig mine,but have heard guys getting them on wacky rigs as well. I've had 30 plus
fish days in there,and although the majority are between 2 to 3 lbs., I've caught many 5lbs. and over as well.

Went to Long Lake in Nanaimo again this morning. Had a stiff breeze going so it was kind of a PITA and only caught one little guy. The water temp was saying 73F on my sounder so I think they've gone a bit deeper for the summer...

i have only fished them on crofton lake (the old water reservoir) and had a blast with them there. on the fly and with hardware

I've been to Quennell once before and had a great time. Caught close to 6, and they were all a decent size.

Went to long lake this morning. I caught one 1.2lb smallie and my friend caught a few with 1.5lb being the biggest. That was @ about 6am...nothing after that

Went to long lake this morning. I caught one 1.2lb smallie and my friend caught a few with 1.5lb being the biggest. That was @ about 6am...nothing after that

thats pretty early for bass... most of my success is in the early afternoon. i have a small boat moored on prospect lake, and have landed quite a few over 5 lbs, biggest being 23 inches long. Yum Dingers without weight!

They are, but have lots of worms in them. I prefer trout, or better yet salmon

kunni

I dropped my small hook with full good worm onto the bottom with lake weed surroundings, large bass grabbed it that put up a good fight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quenell lake is by far the best lake on van isl for smallies.. the will be a island record smallie out of this lake some day. Personal best 5lbs 8oz and I know there's bigger.. various lures plastics mostly. Tubes, worms, crayfish, spinner baits, topwater too.. get out there and bass fish..

Back in the 80's their was a certain lake in metchoisin that the bass were getting close to double digits

Shawnigan lake is where I go for smallmouth. Top water baits have worked and even something as simple as a hook and a live worm. Casting into the shoreline, under logs and tree cover.

Shawnigan lake is where I go for smallmouth. Top water baits have worked and even something as simple as a hook and a live worm. Casting into the shoreline, under logs and tree cover.
Yep,great lake for smallies!Never fished Quenell,but I know that every year there's a bass derby in June sometime,and
the winner is almost always 6+ lbs.My personal best is about 5 Lbs.,but a buddy of mine caught one 6lb. 14oz. one day we were out together.There's some real trophy fish in that lake!

The derby at Quennell is every fathers day. Pay out is good. $3000 for first $2000 for second and $1000 for third, lots of door prizes. Last few years the winner has been low 4 pounds. They get 300 enteries to fish and the number of people that hit the lake all week while they camp leading up to the derby stings the lip of too many fish which leads to very few fish being caught on the day of the derby. There are some big fish in that lake though. Also they have had a tagged fish for a car. Not sure if they still do that.

Back