Vancouver Island Classic

Yeah holmes, half of the 6 grand will get you Platinum Sponsor level in the Consultants derby Aug 20 with all the bells and whistle top honours, 8 free tickets, private girls on your boat etc etc etc. And knowing that these 3 grand will go directly to the Sooke and Goldstream volunteer hatcheries - how can you NOT participate, eh?

Cheers!

Maybe no one wanted to pay the HST? I see on the website cost was $6000 plus HST for $6720.

Tips

There are a few people around including myself who would like to see this tournament rise from the ashes with a non-profit running the show. I had hoped that the new hotel would have included enough moorage in its plans to be the hosting venue. Unfortunately dock space is minimal. Sooke gained a single venue that has lots of rooms and larger indoor banquet facilities that are ideal for this sort of function. On site moorage is the hangup.

A team of 4 could enter for $1500 plus tax each and that included entry, 3 nights acc, moorage, team jackets/shirts/hats and food. A great deal if the organizers do their job and keep everything high end....the food the last time was a joke as was the lack of any attempt to entertain the group after the prizes were given out. they called up the winners then shut off the mike and let everyone sit in the dark....it only took about 15 minutes for people to leave for Buffy's to have some fun. That is not a first class show....it could be done much better.

And they wondered why there wasnt much interest.

I always heard about it. Kind of like a really expensive poker game. Definitely would take the fun out of fishing for me! I get screamed at just regular fishing for not pulling a fish off the downrigger fast enough, couldnt imagine 6g on the line (haha). Theres enough derbys around down here to get your derby fix in and not break the bank or your marriage.

The big prize money was the attraction for sure. All those who paid their money wanted their chance to be the next guys/gals with an extra $150,000.00 in their pockets. Like the first year winners of 1st and 2nd places. Big money just to go fishing.

Back