Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: December 8th/2004.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Well.....we've had our first cold snap, so now it really is the "Winter Chinook Fishery". Some great days to have been out on the water this past week or two (in addition to a couple where it was definitely better to be home in front of a fire) with sunny, crisp, cool, and flat calm conditions. To top it off, the Chinook fishing continues to improve, and most anglers are taking home prime winter Chinook each time they go out. Does it get much better??? (OK you worshippers of the WARM sunny conditions of summer, you don't need to answer that........).

Anyway, the winter fishing is pretty good right now, and it should remain so and/or just get better through December. It is a great way to show those visiting friends/family from the frozen East one of the great benefits of living on the West Coast.....our water doesn't get hard in the winter.

It is also that time of year where I offer a small number of Christmas Specials for sale. For those who are not familiar with these, I have offered them for the past two or three years, and it is my way of providing an opportunity for the purchace of a charter in 2005 at a reduced rate to past customers. Those that purchaced the Christmas Specials last winter have already accounted for most of them again this year, but I still have a few left available that are not spoken for. The Christmas Special rate is 5% off the 2004 rate (eg. $380.00 + GST for 5 hours instead of $400), and it provides additional saving off the 2005 rates since it rates will again rise in 2005 to try to keep up with rising costs of fuel, moorage, insurance etc.... These Christmas Specials are only available between now and Christmas 2004 (midnight Dec. 25th), and they allow you to "pre-purchase" charters for 2005 at a discounted rate. They have sold out every year, so don't delay if you are thinking of purchacing one.

The marina has just come up with their new pricing for 2005, and it looks as if the rate(s) in for my boat beginning April 1, 2005 will be:

5 hours (minimum trip): $425.00 + GST for "up to 3 anglers/guests", and $450.00 + GST if there are 4 anglers/guests
Additional hours would be $80.00 + GST in both cases

Therefore, the Christmas Special will save you between $45 (10.6%) and $70 (15.6%) off the price of your charter depending on the number of people that you bring out (up to 4).

You may note that this is a change from how my rates have always been set over the years. In the past there was only one rate "for up to 4 anglers/guests". The change was made in an effort to combat large increases in operating costs (mainly fuel) that have occurred over the past few years, while minimizing the increase in pricing to fishing parties with less than 4 people (ie. keeping the cost per person down). Unfortunately, I don't see the cost of fuel falling in the future, so all we can hope is that it goes up SLOWLY!!!

The boat has just been put back into the water after hauling out for some routine engine maintenance (which was a little more involved than originally thought.....what else is new: IT'S A BOAT!!!). I will be available for charter most days and short notice isn't usually too much of a problem at this time of year. If the weather looks as if it will be decent for a few days, give me a call, and we should be able to make it work.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back