Using gas station gas for boat

Sea Chaser

Crew Member
Where is the best place to gas up the boat at gas stations and what type of gas you guys using?
New boat owner and only filled it a couple times at a marine fuel dock but hoping to top up the tank at a local gas station.
Thanks in advance

Marked gas is 89 you would be ok to use unmarked gas especially with a full tank will keep moisture out. cheaper at gas stations than the marine dock.

I read and have heard not to use gas with ethanol . So wonder if you have to go to the high octane to avoid the ethanol?

Some 91 gas has no ethanol but you are guessing and it probably has some in it. If you won't use the boat in 3 months I add seafoam stabil or any stabilizer I use mercury quickstor for mine. With a full tank won't get any water.

Marked gas is just gasoline with a dye in it, to mark it for audit purposes. Farmers pay no road tax and marine use pays a 3% road tax. Good luck finding anywhere in the lower mainland.

Peninsula Co-op marked fuel has no ethonol and is a mid-grade fuel 91 octane for about 2 cents per litre less than regular 89 octane. I've run marked fuels in all my outboards since the early 70's.

If you have a Columbia Fuels station nearby, I’m assured their mid grade marked gas is ethanol free. I’ve been using it pretty much exclusively for the boat & many small two & four stroke engines. Haven’t had to clean a carb in a mower or chain saw since I started using it. When I was using regular auto gas there was at least one piece of equipment every spring, that wouldn’t start til the crud was removed from the carb. It’s been at least five years with zero issues, now.

I use 94 octane ethanol free @ chevron. Higher the octane the more compression needed to ignite. You loose a few horsepower but is better for your engine. Also ethanol is effectively water. Don’t want that in my fuel line especially if the boat will sit for a while. However mitigated by the use of fuel stabilizer.

Co-OP in victoria sells marked (89 octane, no ethanol) for the same price as regular gasoline. That's what I use, noticed a big difference since using it with the clarity of my fuel and less moisture in my racor when switching it out each year.

Bruce at the Fishermans Cove in West Van explained it to me. He has 89 octane mid grade, no ethanol.
Guys with trailer boats stop at the car gas station and struggle to find gas without ethanol.
The ethanol is corn alcohol, which is looking to combine with water.
Even tho your gas lines are gas resistant, for a certain length of time, the alcohol is damaging. see above article.

Y
I use chevron 94 in all my small engines, lawn mower, generator etc, as is is stated to contain no ethanol. Ethanol is not the greatest thing for your engine or fuel system. See the article from popular mechanics. https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a6244/e15-gasoline-damage-engine/
Yeah with fibreglass fuel tanks it sucks the resin out and coats the valve stems and the valves stick in the head open and hit the piston nice! Just carb issues with everything else!

I use 94 octane ethanol free @ chevron. Higher the octane the more compression needed to ignite. You loose a few horsepower but is better for your engine. Also ethanol is effectively water. Don’t want that in my fuel line especially if the boat will sit for a while. However mitigated by the use of fuel stabilizer.
slight thread drift - a utube product tester/mythbuster guy did a test of stabilisers vs ethanol - not much use unfortunately

Back