Using GARMIN or other charts on your Ipad

pescador

I’ve started using Garmin maps on my large IPad Pro (12 inch). So far just at home plotting and looking at areas I usually fish at. It’s so much easier than plotting on the boats mounted units. How many of you navigate on board your boat using your Ipad? I’m thinking about mounting a Ram mount on my dash and having the iPad as a 3rd unit on board. I don’t have cell capability on my iPad. Is that going to limit my capability when I’m anywhere or does the gps give me everything I need? If you do this, how did you mount it?

I've used my iPad as a back up navigation device and found that it worked pretty well - as long as it was out of the sun to cut the glare. If you don't have cell capability on your iPad, you'll need a Garmin Glo that connects to the iPad via bluetooth and gives you the satellite connections you'll need.

I just use my Garmin on my iPad to plot my courses and calculate distances and fuel burn. Plus look for anchorages, fishing, crabbing , prawning spots. Its great for that.
I have the app on my cell phone too and that one works without cell coverage with built in GPS. It provides a good backup.
Haven't tried it but wonder if you can tether to your iPad and transfer GPS info through. Worth a shot.

I do find the the Garmin app is not as detailed as the C-Maps on my Raymarine chart plotter. Plus you quite often have to zoom right in to see obstacles and buoys on the Garmin.
For example. I don't see the QA buoy off of UBC until zoomed into .2 miles. Anything greater and its not there.

I'm going it take out to Bowen next week and just give it a whirl. Its just so easy to plot on the iPad. Before I go and spend on a Ram mount I want to ensure its of value. Not sure I can tether between my Garmin 740's and the iPad. I don't thing that capability was available back in 2012 when I bought them. I'll check out Glo if thats the solution. I have a SIM card port for the iPad, just haven't plugged anything into it yet. Maybe I should?

I use my iPad all the time with the Navionics app for viewing maps and using SonarChart Live to map areas. Get a good waterproof case and it will be fine either in your hands or on a mount. Besides live mapping you can also get auto routing and have access to other advanced map features.

Here are a few shots of the live mapping.

20170321_112429_001.jpg

SONARCHARTLIVE.png

Back