Useful misc boating, camping, fishing tips

We had one that was 133 cm for measuring hali and doubled as a Didgeridoo-not many aussies on board so not many good players!! LOL Took too many brewski's to get by the taste!

Freeze the plastic bladders from wine boxes. If you don't fill them too much they lay nice and flat on the bottom of your cooler.

fishing the fraser in the fall, extend the pisser hose so it reaches the bilge or your bait table. put it in small bucket or attach a small starboard square to your bait table and now on those cold days you can wash off in warm water. dry your hands and back into your gloves. makes a cold day just a little warmer.
i use the pipe wrap foam as well, just keep your lures in the shade, my spoons lost there color from the sun.

fishing the fraser in the fall, extend the pisser hose so it reaches the bilge or your bait table. put it in small bucket or attach a small starboard square to your bait table and now on those cold days you can wash off in warm water. dry your hands and back into your gloves. makes a cold day just a little warmer.
i use the pipe wrap foam as well, just keep your lures in the shade, my spoons lost there color from the sun.

Oh man, are you serious. Maybe just put the pipe insulation around your fingers if they're that cold. :)

Sorry I re read that and now I get what you were saying. I think the pisser comment threw me off. Sounded a little rude on the first read. Or maybe I just have my mind in the gutter.

When putting your hands on salt and egg sacks or smelly jelly or stinky eulachons in Nov,Dec, Jan, etc. It nice to wash your hands dry them and shove them back into your pockets. Doing it in freezing cold water isn't very comfortable. I also hot shot with bacon and wash my hands with toothpaste.
You can now pick yourself back up off the floor.
Yes I'm serious, now go back to bending abe n al flashers into dodgers.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying bones.. The posts above were all about guys using plastic containers or tubes for pisser aids. When I read your post you used the term pisser for the water outlet on your outboard. I was still thinking about all the **** aid posts, and went ewwww. I thought you meant you were washing your hands in your **** to warm your hands. Totally my mistake, as I added on afterwards.

After re reading your post I totally got what you were saying. I've read more than a few guys that do that mod for winter fishing. It makes a lot of sense if your out there a lot in the winter. I wasn't being critical about your tip, I just was initially confused about the source of warm fluid you were using to heat your fingers. If you know what I'm saying.

That is a great tip, I'm sure guys who fish a lot in the winter will appreciate it. I have heard the same thing from other guys who've done similar mods to their boats.

Sorry if I offended you with my comment.

I don't claim to be fish catching phenom. I'm getting a little older and I just fish lazy most days. I can't be bothered with bait most days. I do know one thing though, when the fishing gets tough sometimes a different presentation that the fish are not used to seeing catches fish when very few others are.

Some of the old tackle that never sees the water any more can produce very nice catches.

Some of my favorite old gear to try is:

Luhr Jensen Tom Mac spoons- half brass/half chrome

Les Davis Canadian Wonder spoons:
Half and half, or full chrome

Les Davis cut plug lure

Lucky Louie plugs, in pink pearl

And yes, sometimes the old stainless dodgers still kick out some nice fish here and on the west coast. I've had trips to the coast where no one in camp was catching, but dodgers got some very nice fish. Sometimes something different will produce when the normal gear isn't.

Bones, I always wanted to try bacon wraps on a tomic plug. Ever tried bacon wrap in salt water?

I see it on US boats, they call it a "hot box" a hose plumbed from the kicker to an aluminum box that fills with warm water, for washing hands.

On the Yamahas there is a water hose that runs from the block in the area of the dipstick and goes to the leg and drains out through the leg. If you remove that hose and cap it and then use the fitting to run a new hose for the hot box the water is very hot as it comes from a passage after the thermostat. The tell tale water is from a passage that bypasses the thermostat.

Bones, I always wanted to try bacon wraps on a tomic plug. Ever tried bacon wrap in salt water?

Brought it with me to sandheads last weekend. I tried a 600 glo thread wrapped for the second time. Fishing has been so spotty its hard to say. I read about it in a book. The Alaskan guide swore by it. Hot shotting with bacon wrapped bellies. I'd give it more of a chance when there is fish around. Hard to tie up a rod playing around when you could put on a producer and maybe....... Catch a fish. They also mentioned the bacon strips when left out in the sun where the best. Better sent trail?
I was fishing to see if it has been done before.

Last edited:
They had a bacon wrap article in bc outdoors magazine a few years back. The author even swore by penut butter smeared on the hot shots. Strange but works for some...

They had a bacon wrap article in bc outdoors magazine a few years back. The author even swore by penut butter smeared on the hot shots. Strange but works for some...

The problem I had was the tonic wasn't balanced well running at trolling speed. You have to play with it. Only done it couple times on the river. Gave up cuz Budd was slaying Coho on spinners. Peanut butter wow. I kinda get bacon.... The greasy oil trail it leaves behind plus... Who hates bacon? Sometimes when asked at launch what I caught them beauties on and i mention bacon. People just laugh....your the first person that has heard it before. Lol

Great thread! Great tips! thanks, very helpfull
g.png

Back