Useful misc boating, camping, fishing tips

Another tip... I zip tied a length of pipe insulation over my Ez-Steer linkage rod. I did this after learning that my buddy dropped his overboard while hooking up his kicker tot he main. The hollow pool noodles would work too.

One other thing they really seem to like at the front end of those big bottom fishing hoochies is a really large white bead. I'm talking about a bead like 3/4 to 1 inch across. Hard to find those sizes, but that seems to make a big difference. I've no idea why. I always have a bead at the front to peg with a toothpick, so the hoochy doesn't slide up the leader..

Funny... I put a large bead under the hootchie with a tooth pick, so I can pin it a few inches up the leader and keep it from sliding down to the bait. I swear this increases my catch. The hootchie is an attractant like a flasher. The bait is presented a couple of inches behind.

Funny... I put a large bead under the hootchie with a tooth pick, so I can pin it a few inches up the leader and keep it from sliding down to the bait. I swear this increases my catch. The hootchie is an attractant like a flasher. The bait is presented a couple of inches behind.

That depends on what kind of bait your using under the hoochy. I often rig a whole herring under the skirt, and I want it to stay pegged into the head of the hoochy. Everyone does things a little bit differently. That is a great way to run a herring because if you've got your line 350 feet down you don't want to keep checking your bait. With a herring nestled right up inside the hoochy it really protects it from getting chewed off.

Tip: Don't want Rockfish bycatch

This tip comes directly from the Alaska State Rockfish Conservation Webpage

Conservation Tool No. 1: Prevention
  • Avoid catching unwanted rockfish. When targeting other species, such as halibut or lingcod, rockfish bycatch can be greatly reduced by keeping jigs and bait 10-15 feet off the bottom. This has little or no effect on halibut and lingcod catch rates. Also, avoid fishing in areas with structure attractive to rockfish, such as boulders, ridges, and pinnacles. Move to a different area if you are catching rockfish unintentionally.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingsportfishinginfo.rockfishconservation

Elastic hair ties around my leader spools.

To run Tomics at slower speeds use a small piece of surgical tubing wrapped around the front the Tomic then have the line runs back underneath.

Findding containers for freezing ice and old freezer on seasonal time.To fit my coolers i have found a great supply of life time warranty containers and the trick is to fill them at a level for stacking.

if your kids play sports you may find a red pennent the kids wear to denote teams left around fields or arenas. Fits perfect over my prop when in the up position trailering. great easy way to red flag the motor for a little extra safety measure.

For those that use salt ice to pack a decent load of dressed fish home from longer trips: after processing and packaging, save some of the ice in ziplocks and then put the vacuum-packed fish on cookie sheets. Layer the sheets into the freezer using the icebags like risers to provide some circulation and bring the temperature back down and freeze the fish more quickly. Put a bigger bag on top of the top layer.

Thanks for the above tip Tubber. When freezing it's best to use your fridge freezer compartment. I know chest freezers hold way more but they do a poor job of freezing the meat quickly (which results in the best quality). Even though that means you need to freeze in smaller batches and rotate them into the chest freezer.

I'm sure lots of guys have heard this tip, but after all the lost nets lately I'm actually doing it tonight.

TIP: fill your net handle with Styrofoam so it floats if you drop it in the water.

Last edited:
18" piece of of 2" abs , known as the black momba. for those who cant "reach" lol over the gunnel.

I like the "black momba"' we use a "supper pee 2000" plastic folgers coffee container.

I also use one for garbage with a 2" hole in the top

And it's also a bailer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 13
Plastic tube from Pringles chips. You don't even have to get up to have a whiz if your wearing loose shorts. Great for crowded conditions, super stealthy, and you won't end up a statistic from leaning over the side in rough weather. One of the handiest items on the boat.

Oh ya one more bottom fishing tip.

Old flexible tent poles. If your throwing a tent out with the bendable type poles, don't throw all the poles away. Keep one to make Hali bleeder rope. Cut off the end off a pole a little over a foot long attach it to a rope. Now you can push the pole through the Hali's gills and out his mouth or vice versa easily without worrying about getting raked by sharp teeth, or Gill rakers.

Cut the Hali's gills, and cut across the tail. Drag your Hali by the rope for a bit as it totally bleeds out.

I like the "black momba"' we use a "supper pee 2000" plastic folgers coffee container.

I also use one for garbage with a 2" hole in the top

And it's also a bailer

Lol I use the foldgers container for my boraxed roe while river fishing.

The one thing I can contribute to the thread is I re-use empty wiper fluid jugs to make ice blocks to use for the cooler. The plastic is just the right thickness to not cracked and burst while in the freezer.

We also have a "royal navy" **** jug made from an empty bleach jug lol

Back