USA fires CFIA for salmon disease testing.

I think some of the reasons Kristi was able to withstand the interference and lack of support for her science (besides her obvious fortitude and professionalism) was that she wasn't directly part of CFIA and/or the Aquaculture Branch of DFO. In addition to that - she developed her own genomics methodology - very different and separate from CFIA's problematic PCR/tissue confirmation process - and so wasn't limited to play by their playbook.

So she subsequently finds ISAv, and other potentially-related pathogens:

“Dr. Miller said the ISA virus has now been confirmed in numerous wild fish, and in chinook samples provided by Creative Salmon, a fish farm on Vancouver Island.”

I see no reason to squish and hide Molly's report over the science, neither.

MANY peer-reviewed studies are still written and published even when they include conflicting and/or unconfirmed results. Sometimes these results are then termed "preliminary". Most reports then recommend further studies in their discussion and Recommendations section.

ALL federal and Provincial departments, agencies and representatives have the legal obligation (a fiduciary duty) to consult, co-manage and accommodate First Nations and their needs and concerns when managing public resources. The degree of the consultation depends upon the degree of potential infringement. It is up to our government officials (each and everyone) to identify potential infringements and consult with FN.

Infecting wild stocks (such as Cultus Lake – now on the SARA lists) with ISA would constitute such an infringement and trigger the need for deep consultation with any infringed FN Bands. Certainly, the investigation of a potential release of ISA into a naive population with the potential for severe population-level impacts would be of paramount importance and priority. And it is up to that FN to determine what is significant to them - not a DFO technician.

So, as Molly's boss (where the buck should stop) - did Jones get hold of the infringed FN IMMEDIATELY and do follow-up studies including getting fresh samples to retest Cultus Lake stocks after Molly's findings?

No, he did not. Instead he apparently blocked Molly from publishing, and when asked specifically and legally by Cohen to provide all documents about ISA, somehow he apparently forgot about Molly's research - research he would have been intimately familiar with - research a responsible and accountable public official would not hide.

How can you legally, honestly and morally defend these actions?

Maybe this is the real reason why:

2011 May: The BC Salmon Farmers Association claimed (in a submission to the Cohen Inquiry dated 19th May) that: “irreparable damage will occur to the reputations and economic interests of the BCSFA’s member companies and their shareholders” if disease data is released publicly (the Norwegian-owned companies Marine Harvest, Cermaq and Grieg control 92% of BC’s salmon farms).

2011 May: The BC Salmon Farmers Association claimed (in a submission to the Cohen Inquiry dated 30th May) that should disease data be disclosed publicly there would be a “likelihood of misuse and irrevocable damage to the economic interests and reputations of participants and individuals”.

More conspiracy theories...shocker. I am not sure how anyone can see that the CFIA was fired after reading the link...but I guess maybe that’s what some of us would rather believe. Getting the whole story would make it boring. I can’t believe I’m still reading about these Simon Jones/Cultus conspiracies when Cohen plainly explains the context that is sadly missing here. It also humours me a little when I hear fish farm critics hold Miller-Saunders (works for DFO) in such high esteem, but rarely quote her correctly or all the information she provides. I agree with BN that Miller will likely lose her all-star status once she says something farm critics don’t agree with. It will because she was suddenly muzzled or her lab was evaded by Liberal government secret police forces with joint DFO airforce support (there’s my humourous contribution to conspiracy). OIE was great at one time then it was bad - support for them by farm critics seems to be conditional. Sorry, but I’m not much for conspiracies like this - they do nothing for this issue than to bash individuals anonymously. The timing of this seems uncanny after the absence of a particular member.

I think Miller is about the science and I have a feeling in the future agent, you may not be echoing the above statement so keenly.
Thanks for repeating that you and bones are both hinting of upcoming studies that are favorable to fish farms. Wonder why you two seem to have inside info when the public has no such access. It would seem that your resources in this debate are far more than just your average concerned citizen.

So some may ask why I don't trust the fish farm industry..... here is an old video that cut's to the chase.
It starts at around the 2-1/2 minute mark.

Thanks for repeating that you and bones are both hinting of upcoming studies that are favorable to fish farms. Wonder why you two seem to have inside info when the public has no such access. It would seem that your resources in this debate are far more than just your average concerned citizen.

So some may ask why I don't trust the fish farm industry..... here is an old video that cut's to the chase.
It starts at around the 2-1/2 minute mark.
I understand that there will continue to be a fairly aggressive effort to tie individual posters on this forum who support facts on the ff issue to industry via grouping them into the group of industry pundants/supporters,Paid PR team and speaking points and what ever other titles have been put forward to achieve that idea. This is an effective method of distracting readers whom share a general sense of hate and distrust of industry which just about everybody does including myself. However facts are facts and I suspect that there is a reasonable number of reader who can separate this common bias from how they chose to digest information. If they chose not to well thats their individual choice.

I dont see the point your trying to make in the video anywhere but I did take that they clearly respect the importance of controlling information and how it it released. Isn't this what you hate the most?

I apologize glg I did not forward any of my questions I farwarded to the agent. Would you have a response to any of these questions:

Why has the USA not found ISAv in their west coast waters washington or alaska?

I think dave asked a couple of good questions too if you would like to address any of those. I am interested in your response.

Inside information? I dont think so. Even if I did it I dont think it would change any facts. Facts are facts man.

BN my point was it has been shown that trust is something that needs to be earned and the history of fish farms and people related to them has sadly dropped that ball. Will they earn it back? That's up to them but I'm not holding my breath as I see nothing yet that inspires me to think otherwise.

Here is another video.

BN - ISAv has definitely been found in Canada - numerous times.
I think Miller is about the science and I have a feeling in the future agent, you may not be echoing the above statement so keenly.
Thank goodness for Kristi Miller

There is about 5 seconds in this video @ 33:50 that address directly the posts I have quoted above.

Back