USA Boat

coholips

So I just trailered a beautiful 1982 Glasply 2100 HT from Kent,WA paid my one tax on the trailer at CBSA Peace Arch and showed clear titles and bills of sale for boat and trailer but walked away not being charged any taxes on the boat just the trailer and a Form 1 (no form 2 as trailer is older than 15 years). I thought the boat taxes were to be paid on the spot. Do I get dinged when I go to register the boat for its numbers? Or was this a mistake on the part of the customs officer I dealt with?

I brought mine up from the states as well. They either get you at the border or they will get you when you register your boat. I know when they register your boat you have to have proof of taxes paid. Hope this helps

I don't think you ever paid gst on a used boat...so with the pst now harmonized you probably don't pay any tax now.

We have always paid GST (as long as it has been around) on used boats and used vehicles. We've only just been subjected to the additional 7% provincial portion this year. The Liberal fools tried to hide it in the HST blaming it on the Feds. It's supposed to level the playing field for all those RV/auto/boat dealers that have to compete with the average joe. How stupid is that?!?

Sorry, meant no GST if not bought from a dealer. You had to pay the PST on a sale from anyone, once you register it. So my thought was that if you buy from Joe Blow there shouldn't be any tax now.

YOU do not have to register it...keep the boat #s off or leave them on.Maybe take them off so you won't be hassled by Fisheries thinking your boat is from the U.S.

Sorry, meant no GST if not bought from a dealer. You had to pay the PST on a sale from anyone, once you register it. So my thought was that if you buy from Joe Blow there shouldn't be any tax now.

In the past you paid PST but not GST on used vehicles bought from a private seller and PST and GST if purchased from a dealer. Now you pay HST (12%) on all new or used vehicles no matter who the seller is. So the price of used vehicles on a private purchase just went up 5%. Ain't that great!

Last edited by a moderator:
YOU do not have to register it...keep the boat #s off or leave them on.Maybe take them off so you won't be hassled by Fisheries thinking your boat is from the U.S.

I thought all boats had to be licensed and issued boat numbers in Canada.....no? Isn't this how they grab the tax when they see your bill of sale for proof of ownership when licensing? Any clarification on this would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Yes Coholips, You do HAVE TO register. They will hit you with a big fine weather you are on a lake or the ocean. It is the law. They need to know who you are and where your boat is from in case your boat goes missing along with your self, being stolen, or if your are breaking boating laws you can be reported. wildwest is incorrect. Fisheries has the power to give you a fine just like the RCMP. I hope this helps

I should have done a little more research before I started typing. Contrary to my last post, it seems that it is optional. I had a friend who was handed a warning by the RCMP to get his boat registered or face fines. Could someone clarify this for us. This is the link I found saying that it is optionalhttp://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-procedures-103.htm

I still think it is the way to go for the same reasons I mentioned earlier.

ALL pleasure craft need to be "licenced" and display "k" numbers on both sides of the hull.
without the license and numbers you can and will be fined.
Vessels used for commercial purposes ie. fishing charters, whale watchers etc. also need to be "registered"
If you are not using your boat commercially you do not have to register it.

One must have the boat surveyed[if over 15 years old]I'm told by an ICBC agent.Once again...Boat reg. is not required,just optional.Here is an automated phone # at Service Canada 1-800-622-6232

Taxes: in BC tax is payable on both trailer and boats if bought as a package, and collected when the trailer is registered for your ICBC plate. Any taxes that are paid at the border are deducted from that total. Sometimes the border collects both taxes, usually only GST. Only good way around it is that one person buys the boat on a bill of sale, then spouse buys the trailer on another bill of sale. then register trailer with bill of sale, and boat is not taxed. Services Canada does not collect tax - Federal agency for registering boats.

Services Canada info - as of Nov 1st, they no longer supply the pleasure craft licencing in their offices. Mail an application, copy of your "proof of vessel ownership" and a "signed copy of a valid piece of gov issed ID"
Forms are at www.boatingsafety.gc.ca. Info at Boating Safety InfoLine at 1-800-267-6687 (Info from Transport Canada advertisement in Vancouver Province

Insurance- not all boats over 15 years old need surveys, some companies will insure with a good set of photos up to 24 feet. (email or call me for more info on this 1-800-663-0676) Not all insurance agents are good marine agents.....

Back