URGENT GLASS SPONGE REEFS CLOSURE to Prohibit Use of Downrigger Gear

The WHOLE sponge reef SCIENCE is fake news and was very poorly done to be considered real fact science.
We long lined on a small Sponge reef for 40 yrs , and that sponge area is now 100 times bigger.
Some scientist are saying that when pieces break off they grow and the Sponge spreads.
The Science needs to be challenged in court for many reasons.
A good Lawyer can kill it. but who is gonna organize that and pay for it?

Sadly sports fishing industry in my area is pretty much bankrupt. If it wasn't for a sockeye run every 4 years I bet even more tackle shops and guides would be gone. Many of the guides I have been with have second jobs and many of the store owners I talk to loose money most years. They do it because their passionate about it not because they make any money.

No money in the industry to fight that kinda fight

The WHOLE sponge reef SCIENCE is fake news and was very poorly done to be considered real fact science.
We long lined on a small Sponge reef for 40 yrs , and that sponge area is now 100 times bigger.
Some scientist are saying that when pieces break off they grow and the Sponge spreads.
The Science needs to be challenged in court for many reasons.
It's the Vancouver Aquarium and the David Suzuki Foundation that are pushing this forward. They're starting with Howe Sound and then we're going to see closures in other areas I'm sure.

CPAWS has played a leading role in pushing fwd for these closures as well but no surprise that most of the NGO's will use the sponge to increase their funding/ donations.

http://glassspongereefs.com/

I always find it hilarious that they say the sponges were discovered in 1987 when we were diving down to them as early as the late sevenities. Credit to Jim Willoughby for introducing me to the world of glass ("cloud" ) sponge diving. http://www.divinghistory.org/jim-willoughby/

You will see in the below link that this is already long past just being a Howe Sound issue - its all over Georgia Strait and other areas in BC. I can tell you from first hand diving experience that the sponge exists in a ton more places than what they have designated or located themselves so far. Adding insult to injury, take a look at the huge buffer zones proposed as well.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/ceccsr-cerceef/closures-fermetures-eng.html

From what I see happening the policy paper on Glass Spounge Reefs is already on the Ministers desk. This thing is being railroaded along.

Don’t get your hopes up. Shows you what a few mis-informed but well meaning beaurocrats can accomplish.

i,m 72 and been commercial trolling and longlineing on coast from washington to alaska my entire life and fathers life and so on.
glass Sponge reefs are no NEW thing... we have fished on them for years...and they keep growing.
if DFO insists on closing all areas to protect sponge .....they will be closing massive areas..
every major point , estavan , cape cook , cape scott , scott islands , Danger shoals , on and on ...
seems the scienctists hired by the ngo american funded groups suzuki , living oceans etc. influenced dfo enough to get these faulty closures.
A court Challenge is needed...fake news, fake science.

From what I see happening the policy paper on Glass Spounge Reefs is already on the Ministers desk. This thing is being railroaded along.

Don’t get your hopes up. Shows you what a few mis-informed but well meaning beaurocrats can accomplish.

It's certainly frustrating that the NGO's seem to be driving the decision-making process on things like this with DFO. With the Suzuki Foundation and the Vancouver Aquarium leading the way!

That being said I did speak with one of the DFO officials involved in the collection of input from user groups. As recreational sport fisherman if we can have advocate for education of avoidance bottom contact in glass sponge reef areas and identify those areas that are key areas for salmon fishermen, although I may disagree with closures on some other areas, they may not be places that we really fish anyways, so this may be a compromise.

The most important thing is that everybody who does want to have these proposed closures in Howe Sound put in place and set precedent for other glass sponge reef areas, contacts their MP to express their concerns and submits feedback by February 11th to DFO.

Quick update on this issue. I received a phone call from Amy Mar at DFO yesterday. She updated me that the Fisheries Minister had been briefed on this and decision has been made. It will be announced later this week. I will keep everyone posted and thanks to those who took time to write an email.

There is public ceremony scheduled for an announcement regarding the Glass Sponge Reefs with the Fisheries Minister on March 6 at 9:30 AM in West Vancouver at John Lawson Park at 17th Street in West Vancouver for those that are interested in attending.

In fairness the areas they’re talking about now are no worry to sports fishermen I believe. But like said, could get expanded. But in grand scheme don’t mind them throwing this bone instead of some other options engo’s want. In future may regret saying that but for now it makes sense

In fairness the areas they’re talking about now are no worry to sports fishermen I believe. But like said, could get expanded. But in grand scheme don’t mind them throwing this bone instead of some other options engo’s want. In future may regret saying that but for now it makes sense
Actually two of the areas are very popular sport fishing spots in Howe Sound for salmon. Hopefully DFO would have paid attention to this and all the letters that were written. We shall find out tomorrow!

Actually two of the areas are very popular sport fishing spots in Howe Sound for salmon. Hopefully DFO would have paid attention to this and all the letters that were written. We shall find out tomorrow!

With dfo ya never know but I’d imagine they’d be ok with salmon fishing and be smart. But like I said who knows with them

I just spoke with Amy Mar at DFO. They went ahead with the 8 proposed closures to downrigger fishing in Howe sound. The good news is they did not apply this to the existing closures to bottom contact for already identified Glass Sponge Reefs in Howe Sound, so it still keeps angling opportunities in these areas. She will be at our Squamish to Lillooet SFAC meeting on March 21, so should have more information after the meeting.

Back