Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

When is DFO going to update their web site. Not everyone reads this forum and if your just going by the regs on line they haven’t changed them to reflect the changes made. On line the regs say last updated 04/19/19. Neither has the fishing bc app been updated.

I keep saying the same thing.....
I doubt they could hold you accountable if you followed the reg's posted.

I launched yesterday at Sunset Marina. They were telling everybody Howe Sound had a possession of 1 Chinook a day. Despite me trying to explain the closure, they told me I was wrong.

The even scarier part was they were under the impression, that the closure wouldn't impact their business at all!

What's it gonna be like when boats hit the water on July 15th or whenever
How do you think it will be any different from any other summer?

Washington state has way more fishing boats and anglers than us

That sucks a lot. It must sound like we're a bunch of spoiled whiners up here. In general, what do rec fishermen there think about their fishery and management? There's that report of 1.5 billion going into helping fish & SRKW's.

No, it doesn't sound like you are whiners.

We have the same issues: for example, in 2016, all coho fishing in puget sound was closed. Yet you could buy a coho on the side of the road for $4. Not even $4/pound, just $4 for the whole fish. The rec fishing was shut down, but the tribes were not shut down.

Our chinook fishing is always limited to clipped fish. Yet, when you catch the odd clipped chinook in our area 5 (across JDF from port Renfrew), while fishing for coho, you cannot retain it. Even when the escapement numbers have been met. This fish is going back to be turned into cat food.

When coho fishing is allowed, most areas you area allowed to retain clipped only. Often to the tune of 10:1 ratio unclipped:clipped. Mortality rate on unclipped fish?

It goes on and on. Why do you think we like coming north??? :)

I fear your changes will eventually get worse. The changes are dramatically different for you and I am sad for those whose livelihoods are being affected.

So here's a letter I sent to Jonathan Wilkinson and MANY others today
When is DFO going to update their web site. Not everyone reads this forum and if your just going by the regs on line they haven’t changed them to reflect the changes made. On line the regs say last updated 04/19/19. Neither has the fishing bc app been updated.
D.F.O. issued Fishery notice FN0377 April 19. It covers all sectors. And no, neither D.F.O. or Sportfishing B.C. App. have got the current accurate regulations posted.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't sound like you are whiners.

We have the same issues: for example, in 2016, all coho fishing in puget sound was closed. Yet you could buy a coho on the side of the road for $4. Not even $4/pound, just $4 for the whole fish. The rec fishing was shut down, but the tribes were not shut down.

Our chinook fishing is always limited to clipped fish. Yet, when you catch the odd clipped chinook in our area 5 (across JDF from port Renfrew), while fishing for coho, you cannot retain it. Even when the escapement numbers have been met. This fish is going back to be turned into cat food.

When coho fishing is allowed, most areas you area allowed to retain clipped only. Often to the tune of 10:1 ratio unclipped:clipped. Mortality rate on unclipped fish?

It goes on and on. Why do you think we like coming north??? :)

I fear your changes will eventually get worse. The changes are dramatically different for you and I am sad for those whose livelihoods are being affected.
Thanks for the insight. I've got that feeling that the US/CA will interact more on helping fish stocks/SRKW's and drift more and more toward similar regulations and seasons at least along border areas. That's what fish regulatory bodies do, type rules on computors and draw maps. They're mandate is to say what, where, when and how to fish. They aren't the agencies that are going to lead the way and fix systemic problems. Totally unfair and unjust what CA/DFO is doing to fishing dependant businesses and communities on such short notice while paying lip service to systemic problems. Keep us posted on what happening down there....tight lines.

Well boys it’s getting almost as crowded out there as it is in California and the northern Washington coast so don’t be surprised if the regulations start to resemble some of those areas. They will slowly get squeezed northward as the population keeps pressure on the stocks.

Many of you on this Forum have been calling for a Protest. I am working with a group of concerned individuals who would like to see the public and media made aware of the impacts and issues of this decision. There will be more information to follow shortly on this Protest, but I wanted to let you know the planned date and time, so everyone will have time to plan to attend. It will be May 1st between 12 and 1 PM outside Fisheries Minister Wilkinson's office located at 102 W 3 Street, North Vancouver.

We're talking about a Liberal government that has been closing DFO offices.
Actually, it was the Conservative government that closed DFO offices and cut staff, starting back in 2012, as they also gutted the Fisheries Act's protection of habitat. They also muzzled scientists from making any public communication, and tossed out thousands of scientific papers.
To refresh memories:
http://commonsensecanadian.ca/harpe...-dfo-habitat-jobs-as-notices-go-out-to-staff/

Evening all,
How about we all start a new fishery........ Lets all go down the nearest government dock, collect some pile worm
and get the old perch and bullhead fishery up and running again.... At least we can fill up the docks and have some fun
again.. Just a thought.

Actually, it was the Conservative government that closed DFO offices and cut staff, starting back in 2012, as they also gutted the Fisheries Act's protection of habitat. They also muzzled scientists from making any public communication, and tossed out thousands of scientific papers.
To refresh memories:
http://commonsensecanadian.ca/harpe...-dfo-habitat-jobs-as-notices-go-out-to-staff/

I agree with you that the Conservatives closed a number of DFO enforcement offices. I remember 5 being closed under their watch. The frustrating thing is it has continued under the Liberals. The Squamish DFO office was to be closed this May and was only saved after a huge backlash in the local community and from concerned citizens outside of the area. The Mission DFO enforcement office was closed under the Liberals.

We need to demand better of any government, whether it be Liberal or Conservative or whatever party!

That sucks a lot. It must sound like we're a bunch of spoiled whiners up here.
I live in WA. It is my belief that the area 9 season lasts 2 weeks or so starting in July.
Most of the Puget Sound Chinook rear ECVI/WCVI mid-island & south. They are all on the Endangered Species list. I have seen figures indicating 80% of the total catch of these runs is in BC.
I believe that our total closer of the San Juan Islands (area 7) is to support Fraser Chinook recovery, and that some of your closures are in trade. Zero facts to back this. Up until this year, area 7 was one only inside fishery where wild Chinook could be retained.

As an example of management techniques down here, say area 9 catches 3500 hatchery Chinook. Our fisheries managers have figured-out how many wild Chinook will be killed when released when 3500 hatchery fish are caught. Our tribes have a huge influence on this negotiation. They have a very low opinion of the conservation ethics of sport fishers. I gotta tell you guys, being on this forum I share their opinion. Our forums down here are a bit better, but still poor conservation ethics. Do you really think that people other than your buddies don't read & share what is said on here? Probably doesn't matter much, but it is painful to see self-inflicted wounds

Back