Upper Fraser Chinook and Sockeye Stocks face exctinction if action not taken this winter!

The 4 year old year class of stuart sockeye from this year's run is extinct. In 4 years from now the run will have to be propagated by the fish they took to cultus labs and jacks from next years spawn. IF the slide is dealt with between now and return.

It's a big shame because the early stuarts were the most marketable sockeye to return to the fraser and fetched the highest price.

I also find it funny how we have 10 ENGO's at a fish farm algae bloom raising a huge stink but the silence on this file is defining.

This just illustrates the state of the industry now compare to when the Cohen commission was launched.

No one cares expect for a select few.

This is bigger than all the fish farms and yet there is nothing on the news or all over social media?
Guess it’s easier just do dam the Fraser and let salmon stocks die out!

Funny how people will spend there time getting news crews to homeless camps yet there is nothing about this except a few small write ups. Sickening

This is bigger than all the fish farms and yet there is nothing on the news or all over social media?
Guess it’s easier just do dam the Fraser and let salmon stocks die out!
Funny how people will spend there time getting news crews to homeless camps yet there is nothing about this except a few small write ups. Sickening

Yeah, the silence on this issue is really surprising considering the implications for future salmon management and how it will impact sportsfishers. Way easier to go after fish farms I guess.
I understand the Fraser Valley Salmon Society will be on CBC at 6pm talking about this.

edit: now hearing maybe tonight at 6 ...

Last edited:
I don’t think the government / dfo has the resources and/or desire to undertake investment it would take to even give these fish a chance at a comeback.

Way cheaper to do nothing.

I think there is probably some groups waiting in the background for DFO to release the final numbers. DFO has been reluctant to do this and I bet the reason is the are making sure every T is crossed and every I is dotted because of the serious ramifications. I think it is quite evident now that there was a pretty big gag order surrounding this whole operation.

I think there is some good that may come out of it but i'm sceptical as the past as the past does not provide much hope. One thing I thought was interesting was hearing a scientist talk as a result of this incident they are rethinking the effect that hells gate may be having on migration and it may be bigger than thought.

When it comes to sockeye when a stock crashes history certainly is not in favor of a recovery. As for chinook recovering its the same bleak story. I think that's why the SFAB is pushing so hard for a MSF. As they know were looking a future where there is just to many wild endangered stocks.

I did hear some positive news that has not been shared on this site and that is that SEP is apparently going to be trialing one of thoes automatic clipping trailers.

'Our worst nightmares are being realized': Experts say First Nations need more power to save B.C. salmon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...andslide-salmon-extinction-reaction-1.5379304

"On Oct. 16, federal government scientists told the Pacific Salmon Commission that three salmon runs now face a "meaningful chance of extinction" as a result of the landslide, according to a PowerPoint presentation obtained by CBC News."

RFI - Fraser River Big Bar Landslide (EZ899-202159/A)

https://buyandsell.gc.ca/procurement-data/tender-notice/PW-PWY-025-8699

The purpose of issuing this RFI is to:
- Obtain information on constructability and potential new technologies or approaches;
- Obtain recommendations that would enhance the success of proposed fish passage remediation activities;
- Identify potential contractors who possess specialized equipment and construction expertise and experience in fish passage remediation, in-stream work and working in remote and challenging environmental conditions;
- Identify local Indigenous business with the capacity to conduct operations and have an interest in participating in an economic benefits program; and
- Provide awareness of the planned projects to industry.

Interested parties are invited to respond to this RFI by submitting a response to Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC). Responses should include ideas, information and recommendations, potential cost-saving opportunities, and the identification of potential risks associated with this work.

Given the urgency of this requirement, the RFI will close Friday, 06 December, 2019 and no extensions will be granted. Feedback received after this date may not be considered. In the interest of time and in order to facilitate a real-time exchange of information, a WebEx meeting
will be organized for Monday, 02 December, 2019 at 10 am. The WebEx details are as follows:

https://pwgsc-nh.webex.com/webappng...383626?MTID=m758b96b24e2fea14f9248d1a4627e8e5

Meeting number (access code): 558 321 120
Meeting password: Canada

Join by phone
Call-in toll-free number : 1-877-413-4792
Call-in number: 1-613-960-7516
Attendee access code: 280 910 9

If they are looking to put this out to tender, I dont see how any construction company has the ability to get it done in the time required. Just the site investigation and engineering proposals would takes months for a project of this size. This is also fairly specialized work in a remote area, and the mob for most companies would take time.

IMO it would have to be some sort of blasting program to get it done in time for next summer. Not looking promising to having this done for next summer especially if they end up going the engineering/tender route.

I think there is probably some groups waiting in the background for DFO to release the final numbers. DFO has been reluctant to do this and I bet the reason is the are making sure every T is crossed and every I is dotted because of the serious ramifications. I think it is quite evident now that there was a pretty big gag order surrounding this whole operation.

I think there is some good that may come out of it but i'm sceptical as the past as the past does not provide much hope. One thing I thought was interesting was hearing a scientist talk as a result of this incident they are rethinking the effect that hells gate may be having on migration and it may be bigger than thought.

When it comes to sockeye when a stock crashes history certainly is not in favor of a recovery. As for chinook recovering its the same bleak story. I think that's why the SFAB is pushing so hard for a MSF. As they know were looking a future where there is just to many wild endangered stocks.

I did hear some positive news that has not been shared on this site and that is that SEP is apparently going to be trialing one of thoes automatic clipping trailers.

As in Hell’s Gate remains a significant impediment to salmon passage and causes a large amount of in River mortality?

Back