Upgrade from 17' Hourston

slader99

Currently have an early 80's 17' hourston w/ hardtop. It's a great boat that we've had for quite some time but with 2 kids growing up it's starting to feel crowded with 4 people and gear.

Love the boat but thinking we should be looking for something we won't outgrow in the 19-23' range. Good used as we can't afford new. I've been looking at several different manufactures including hourston, double eagle and arima but it's difficult to figure out what model(s) might fit our want list. For example I've been in some campion explorers that ride nice and seem like good boats with lots of nice features but they don't seem they offer a hard top?

- Primarily day trip exploring, prawning and fishing; doesn't need sleeping, stove or toilet. Washdown would be nice though.
- We'd like a hard top with a raised rail so we can walk around the boat easily and hopefully store gear like traps, totes, kids kayak, camping gear, ect. Needs to be higher than our current one so you can standup without smashing your head.
- It would be great if there was some aft seating. Even better if it folded out of the way when not in use.
- Preferably an outboard to free up deck space.
- Prefer something that's known for handling the waves and chop we see on the west coast.
- Prefer something that doesn't have wood stringers or transom so a rotten boat would be less of a concern.

We're not expecting to make a swap right away but I'm hoping some of the forum members can suggest some good manufacture names and models so I can start looking into price ranges for various years and know when the right boat at the right price becomes available.

Cheers,

Slader 99

1999 ish 230 Boston whaler conquest seems to hit what your after I believe. Budget is good to know when asking for opinions as sky is the limit. Nice thing is they are express, fold down rear seat, decent little cuddy, super deep inside, great boat and very trailer able package.

Took a quick look at the 230 conquest and it seems like a good option for layout. Seems like the conquest might not be that common of model in the shorter boat lengths?
I'll add it to my watch list.

I'm hoping I can find a mid-level boat that's no more than 15 or 20 years old in great shape in the $20-35k range.

I'm just getting my 21 Striper ready to sell. That is what my family has been using it for and meets most of what you are looking for.
It's been off shore WCVI and up to Desolation sound and beyond. The hardtop with handles is a must have, makes it so much nicer to use the walk around.

Back