Tyler Boats Build!

Hey JAC, tuna pullers are those wheels mounted on the stern rail of the larger boat in front of yours. Used by the commies to haul in the lines. Work the same as a trap puller.

21 feet would be pushing it for tuna around here, but your boat may be the exception!

you need to add a door to the side of the boat for deaing with sturgeon and espiecally big halibut. Either on the port or starboard side, sealed of course just swing it open and then you could slide the fish right onto the deck. The way I see it now i looks like it would be a huge pain trying to deal with a big fish on the edge beside the wheelhouse. Just a thought, boat looks pretty cool!

I was thing of a door but I'm pretty much maxed out the budget maybe on the next boat.

The great thing about aluminium is that things can be added at a later date easily.....It would make it much easier to get on and off the boat at the dock as well. Remember what BOAT stands for.....

i know what boat stands for but im pretty sure it means bring out another $50K!!! Anyways i think that getting on and off the dock will be easy do just step on the side by the house and walk in there is more room there then you would think.

Will there be grab rails welded to the cabin or a larger rail system built up from the gunnels around the aft sides and stern? Looking good.

I wanted a large rail from the gunnel up all the way around but after staring at it for a while we though it will look funny. There will be a grab handle welded to the house all the way around.

Make sure you put good trim tabs on, do a little over kill on them there will be lots of weight in the back and they have been known to break.
It is a very interesting design, it will have its pros and cons and i think with the majority of your fishing being fresh water
it will be excellent.
Look forward to seeing the finished product and hearing about your sea trial.

I will not be putting any trim tabs on its a catamaran so I hope that helps. It looks like a lot of weight aft but it pretty balanced and the fuel tanks are mounted mid ship a little forward. With the motors there is going to be some more weight on the back. At rest the boat is going to lean back 3 to 4 degrees if it goes to plan.

It just like a bow picker or landing craft and its a cat hull. The boat is a tank looked at it on Saturday again and it's going to be very tough. The boat will be 5000lbs on the trailer I have a Toyota Tacoma that is rated for 6400lbs so that should be fun. My wife seen it for the first Time and told me that I should buy a semi to pull it ahahah

Looks like a nice lake boat - especially running the bow up onto the beach. Not sure how practical it will be with the house at the back when anchored up for sturgeon and hali's. Wont the house be in the way? Guess I'm having a hard time picturing what will happen when a fish runs back and crosses behind. How will you play a fish when that happens?

That was the root of my question about full rails around the stern. For trolling, while playing a big fish, with the riggers up and boat out of gear, I think this boat unlike all others will turn broadside to the wind yet drift stern first with the wind keeping the fish quartering off the bow which is what he wants I imagine.

I almost always keep my boat in gear when we have a fish on. We normally turn out of the group of boats and the fish is often off to the side. I know there will be some things to change and get use to but I'm going to have to make them work. When your trolling off the boat your gear will be way in front of your motors. I will have to figure out a how to keep the fish to the side. If you have the fish in close quarters and he goes under the boat you can bring the line around the bow of boat also. Just going to have to make it work. How often does a Hali make a run on the surface is almost always straight down is it not?

Im building it to use in the lakes and in the ocean i planning a 5 to 7 day trip on the central coast next year with the wife.. As far as seaworthy It should be great its fully self bailing with a cat hull and a pretty dam big bow on it for a 21 foot boat. if i have to chase a big spring around the back i will do that to but i think with a little thinking outside the boxes i can make this work.

JAC, your a good sport. Many of us have a hard time getting our heads around something different then the status qua. Like any new boat, a system has to be put in place to land a fish and you will no doubt figure yours out quickly. Thanks for sharing your build and putting up with our inquiries. I hope to see you out on the water chasing down a Tyee bow AND angler head on.

X2 Personally I think you are onto what most people have not seen yet. You have to think outside the box.
JAC, your a good sport. Many of us have a hard time getting our heads around something different then the status qua. Like any new boat, a system has to be put in place to land a fish and you will no doubt figure yours out quickly. Thanks for sharing your build and putting up with our inquiries. I hope to see you out on the water chasing down a Tyee bow AND angler head on.

Back