Tyee QR handle upgrades

GrayBent

Hi, my name is Brett, and I wanted to post a thread about Trophy Tyee QR handle upgrades.
I just had another two handles break off this past weekend while taking a group out in Bamfield. This is now the 3rd time in 2 years I have had handles break off with fish on so I am looking for a change. BTW I maintain my reels, flush them with fresh water, and seldom leave them out for long periods of time in the weather. I had done some google searching and came across a thread on here where it talked about possible handle mods. 'Wolf's' name was brought up discussing an upgrade he did, but I can't locate the original thread to see how it is done. Is there any way anyone could send me the thread or information? Also, does anyone know much about converting the drag/tensioner spring to an islander? I don't 'love' the drag, and I hardly even let guests/friends try to adjust it as it is so touchy. I would appreciate any info and guidance.
Note: If I could afford to upgrade to Islanders right now I would, but student finances do not allow for that.
Thanks in advance, Brett.

Great timing for this thread. I just broke a knob on a trophy last weekend. Same deal reels are always washed down, stored indoors etc. Kind of annoyed that a 2 year old reel is that poor quality. The wood knobs on my 40 year old Peetz still work great

I broke a handle on my trophy a couple weeks ago. A replacement kit is 10 bucks from Barry's. The ****** part is you need to remove some line to install the new handle but it's really easy to do. My reels were only a year and a half old so to break a handle this early in it's life really shows the quality if the reels. I want to complain to the manufacturer but I cant find their website or anything to even attempt to make contact.

I broke a handle on my trophy a couple weeks ago. A replacement kit is 10 bucks from Barry's. The ****** part is you need to remove some line to install the new handle but it's really easy to do. My reels were only a year and a half old so to break a handle this early in it's life really shows the quality if the reels. I want to complain to the manufacturer but I cant find their website or anything to even attempt to make contact.

Hopefully you speak Cantonese. ;) where did you buy them? perhaps they can help you with new handles

The reels were bought from Barry's. I know the reels are made offshore but I expected they would have some kind of presence here for situations like this. Because theres no way for me to contact them, Im no longer buying any of their products.

The reels were bought from Barry's. I know the reels are made offshore but I expected they would have some kind of presence here for situations like this. Because theres no way for me to contact them, Im no longer buying any of their products.

So is my Amundson T-MX5. which i quite like btw. has given me less trouble than my made in Canada Islander

Islander Springs.....yes, have done it on mine and it is well worth it.

As for the handles I do recall Wolf's thread some time back. I have some shimano paddle handles I was going to put on but haven't as of yet. It does require a bit of countersinking of the posts to allow them to spin freely. Are your handles the larger size or the smaller ones that were on the first version.

I think @wildthing had some kits he had done up?

Hi, both of mine have the larger handles. One reel was bought last summer (ordered directly from Redl as my in-laws have a lodge in Bamfield) and the other one was bought the previous fall from the lodge (but never used till last May), so it would have come directly from Redl as well. I replaced one post last summer so I know about the enjoyable experience and this time a handle broke off each reel. What is involved in the spring swap @Pippen? And an MR3 spring or? Thanks in advance everyone.

What is involved in the spring swap @Pippen? And an MR3 spring or? Thanks in advance everyone.

Buy spring...I think they are all the same as I just bought "islander springs"....take the reel apart, take out the old spring and in with the new spring. Don't forget to keep the washers where they are. ;);)

My reels are the older vintage of the QR that had smaller handles from the start. The springs made a big difference...not sure what the springs are like in the newer ones.

With respect to your handles I would call Redl and speak with Reg who deals with a lot of their repairs etc.

Harbour Chandler warrentied my handles and got them repaired with the new improved handles. Had them for a couple weeks but did offer a loaner if they had one in stock.

Islander Springs.....yes, have done it on mine and it is well worth it.

As for the handles I do recall Wolf's thread some time back. I have some shimano paddle handles I was going to put on but haven't as of yet. It does require a bit of countersinking of the posts to allow them to spin freely. Are your handles the larger size or the smaller ones that were on the first version.

I think @wildthing had some kits he had done up?
Are the springs just a play and play? I’d love to have a few turns on the drag knob instead of the 1/4 turn we get now!

FYI on the topic of the thread, my QR’s have the stock paddles and I like the feel of them. But... I got a free stainless hardware upgrade on one of them and the paddles pop right off of you firmly pull on them. Somethings not quite right there.

So it is a direct swap for the spring then? That's great! I found this spring at Mike's: https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/isl-i153-drag-spring-mr2-mr3-armr2-lxx-frx-arx/ and assume it will work. I talked with Wolf about the post swaps and he gave me some advice which was helpful. Now if a guy could change the tensioner/drag knob to an Islander he would be in business haha I like the octagonish shape of them more for adjusting. I appreciate all the assistance, especially being a new member.

Last edited:
3 posts up, GrayBent has a link to Mikes Reel Repair. Looks like he has them for sale.

Oly

Where would one get islander springs
Are all islander springs the same

I got mine at Pacific Angler....you may go direct to Islander or check your local tackle shops....OR Mike's as noted above. They don't seem like an odd item for shops to stock as Jason at Pac Angler said "you bet" when I called him to see if he had them.

Back