Tuta Campgrounbd and Mairina

finaddict

Anyone know anything about it? Is it still open? Does it get busy and what are the facilities like? Thinking about 4-5 dasys in late August. Their website is pretty light on details.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Anyone know anything about it? Is it still open? Does it get busy and what are the facilities like? Thinking about 4-5 dasys in late August. Their website is pretty light on details.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Just got back from 10 days at Tuta.
The owners Larry and Shirley are great.
Rough road about 8 km past Cougar creek.
Showers, freezers, not the KOA but we love it.
Send them an email. They will answer in a few days as there is no internet in camp so they check when they are in town.
5 minutes from the inside hotspots.

For the price and location Tuta is a great place to stay. If you've only ever stayed at very high end resorts then you might be a little shocked. This might be obvious but don't trailer your boat in and launch at Tuta, launch in Gold River and have someone youre with meet you there. The drive in would be really hard on a loaded trailer.

Thanks gents,

Planning on leaving finaddict at home and taking my camper and 16' aluminum side console Duroboat. Should be fine for inside water stuff and its light enough that the road should not be too hard on it. Trailer is in good shape with brand new tires a spare and the 30 h.p. honda should be fine if I remove it for the trip and mount it again once there. It'll be real old school fishing for me, solo in the boat, I'll have my 9 y.o. golden retreiver in the bow and a couple of manual armstrong Scotties to work. ;-)

I sent them an e-mail. Samnjoe, what were the rates when you were there?

Thanks again

$1.25 per foot for moorage.
We stay on the boat so I don't know what the camping rate is but everything is reasonable there.
Some guy towed a 34 foot fifth wheel in on Friday.
I wouldn't do it but some do.
I launch in Gold River.

Thanks gents,

Planning on leaving finaddict at home and taking my camper and 16' aluminum side console Duroboat. Should be fine for inside water stuff and its light enough that the road should not be too hard on it. Trailer is in good shape with brand new tires a spare and the 30 h.p. honda should be fine if I remove it for the trip and mount it again once there. It'll be real old school fishing for me, solo in the boat, I'll have my 9 y.o. golden retreiver in the bow and a couple of manual armstrong Scotties to work. ;-)

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
$1.25 per foot for moorage.
We stay on the boat so I don't know what the camping rate is but everything is reasonable there.
Some guy towed a 34 foot fifth wheel in on Friday.
I wouldn't do it but some do.
I launch in Gold River.

Samnjoe, when you just pay for moorage do you have access ( for a fee of course) to the other amenities like the freezer and showers showers
What do they charge to freeze fish?

The showers are gross and the hike up the hill is brutal after a day of fishing. The docks are always under repair one board a year :) The owners are really nice but I felt nickelled and dimmed when we checked out. Id camp at cougar creek 1st if it was full I'd go to Tuta.

They checked our camp site well we were out fishing and since my friend slept in the back of the truck they charged us for an extra tent even though there was just one person sleeping in each tent. Then they want to charge us for freezer use which I didn't even know was there and asked how many bags of ice we took which I had explained the coolers full of salt ice in our camp ground. I am sure they must have looked at them considering they looked in the back of my friends truck.

It has been a few years since I was there. Back when I had my 14.5 aluminum. I remember a rough hill to climb just before the camp ground. It wont be a problem for your truck but you might spit a rock or two on it. As mentioned above the hill from the dock to your site is a *****.

Samnjoe, when you just pay for moorage do you have access ( for a fee of course) to the other amenities like the freezer and showers showers
What do they charge to freeze fish?

We stay on the boat.
Showers and freezing are free.
It is a 3 minute uphill walk to the showers.
We have never been nickeled and dimed.
I always tell Shirley that she doesn't charge enough.
This is a very casual place so don't expect to be pampered.
There will always be people that are never satisfied.
Hopefully they will go somewhere else.

Larry and Shirley will do whatever they can to help you. Last year another boat hit a deadhead and split a seam. Larry went out of his way to help the fellow hammer out the dent and patch it with some Boat Patch. Basically, it could be a top notch place if a lot of money was thrown at it. There are limits to what can be done due to the short season, and the owners do make efforts every year. Otherwise, you have showers and you have a dock and you have freezers. It can get a little frustrating sometimes, but with a little patience, you will appreciate all the positive points as well.

Drewski

We stay on the boat.
Showers and freezing are free.
It is a 3 minute uphill walk to the showers.
We have never been nickeled and dimed.
I always tell Shirley that she doesn't charge enough.
This is a very casual place so don't expect to be pampered.
There will always be people that are never satisfied.
Hopefully they will go somewhere else.

Larry and Shirley will do whatever they can to help you. Last year another boat hit a deadhead and split a seam. Larry went out of his way to help the fellow hammer out the dent and patch it with some Boat Patch. Basically, it could be a top notch place if a lot of money was thrown at it. There are limits to what can be done due to the short season, and the owners do make efforts every year. Otherwise, you have showers and you have a dock and you have freezers. It can get a little frustrating sometimes, but with a little patience, you will appreciate all the positive points as well.

Drewski

Awesome, thx guys

The showers are gross and the hike up the hill is brutal after a day of fishing. The docks are always under repair one board a year :) The owners are really nice but I felt nickelled and dimmed when we checked out. Id camp at cougar creek 1st if it was full I'd go to Tuta.

They checked our camp site well we were out fishing and since my friend slept in the back of the truck they charged us for an extra tent even though there was just one person sleeping in each tent. Then they want to charge us for freezer use which I didn't even know was there and asked how many bags of ice we took which I had explained the coolers full of salt ice in our camp ground. I am sure they must have looked at them considering they looked in the back of my friends truck.

Thx for the info
Interesting how there can be such different takes on the same place?????

Hey finaddict, just got back from Tuta marina. I'ts better than Cougar creek as nobody will be tying up to your boat like they do at Cougar. Also the campsites are much more private and the walk up isn't as bad as some people make out to be. If you like camping right beside someone elses camper or tent, then cougar creek would be the place to go. They also sell ice and anchovies. Good luck in August!!

Love the place and the people.
How was the fishing?
Did you meet Dick on the Reel Pleasure?
He is the man when it comes to Nootka!
Hey finaddict, just got back from Tuta marina. I'ts better than Cougar creek as nobody will be tying up to your boat like they do at Cougar. Also the campsites are much more private and the walk up isn't as bad as some people make out to be. If you like camping right beside someone elses camper or tent, then cougar creek would be the place to go. They also sell ice and anchovies. Good luck in August!!

Fishing was quite steady at camel. 5-7 am produced best catches on anchovy and irish cream spoons workes as well. Afternoon bite was a little slower but good as well. Caught some small hali just in front of friendly cove averiging around 10 lb on spatter back hoochies. Water was quite rough so we weren't able to get out much further. Out of our party of five people, we had our limits within the first 2 days for all and several fish lost as well.

Thanks for the report mamoet. Have a spot reserved at Tuta starting Monday - Saturday. Really looking forward to staying there.

Thanks gents,

Thanks again

For what you are looking for it will suit you perfect; the road is the $hts though. If I could pick somewhere to fish from a tinny from, this would be it.

The posts here - positive and negative - give you an accurate picture. Some love it, some hate it. I would not hesitate to go back, but now that we have weekend days at Critter that is not likely going to happen any time soon.

First night, my buddy placed his cooler by our tent, I asked him to move it...

"why" he asks...

"Bears" I say...

"No F'n bear is going to come into the campground"

Come in for lunch the next morning; bear scratches and teethmarks all over our cooler...I believe my brother still has the cooler...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back