Tuna Trip Advice.

Lucky Dog

Hi Folks,

A buddy and myself are planning on trying to catch a few tuna around Labour Day long weekend. Which area on the island do you think would have the shortest run and best success? Winter Harbour ? Bamfield?

I have a 22 ft Ocean pro with twins and He has a 24 ft Alaskan both have twins and big fuel tanks but we would prefer to be as close to shore as possible since we haven't tuna fish before.

Also we have the rods, but could you recommend a spot for tuna tackle please (used is fine).

Thanks

go to pnt coombs for all yer tuna gear.... bamfield is way cooler to fish tuna. whats another 20 miles. lol

easier to get to bam also.

Hi Folks,

A buddy and myself are planning on trying to catch a few tuna around Labour Day long weekend. Which area on the island do you think would have the shortest run and best success? Winter Harbour ? Bamfield?

I have a 22 ft Ocean pro with twins and He has a 24 ft Alaskan both have twins and big fuel tanks but we would prefer to be as close to shore as possible since we haven't tuna fish before.

Also we have the rods, but could you recommend a spot for tuna tackle please (used is fine).

Thanks

Road is paved to Ukee or Tofino, easier if your trailering, and those towns have far better amenities. Captain Hooks is a great store in Ukee that has all the tuna gear you need if you arrive short of stuff.

I fish out of Tofino. Closest we've found tuna is 23 miles, once, in October (best day EVER! filled the boat in less than 2 hours). Furthest we've gone is 57 Miles I think, and we saw TONS of Tuna but couldn't get them to hook up; ended up with 3, but easily the biggest tuna (see Profile Pic).

Once you're out that far, the only difference 10 miles makes is to your fuel bill.

I should be either in Tofino or Bamfield (for the Derby if I go down this year) around that time and would join you with the weather/water work.

Road is paved to Ukee or Tofino, easier if your trailering, and those towns have far better amenities. Captain Hooks is a great store in Ukee that has all the tuna gear you need if you arrive short of stuff.

I fish out of Tofino. Closest we've found tuna is 23 miles, once, in October (best day EVER! filled the boat in less than 2 hours). Furthest we've gone is 57 Miles I think, and we saw TONS of Tuna but couldn't get them to hook up; ended up with 3, but easily the biggest tuna (see Profile Pic).

Once you're out that far, the only difference 10 miles makes is to your fuel bill.

I should be either in Tofino or Bamfield (for the Derby if I go down this year) around that time and would join you with the weather/water work.
Ukee may be the winner , fond of the paved highways. Thanks for the info. It would be awesome to have another buddy boat to find the fishes, I will pm you when we have it all figured.

go to pnt coombs for all yer tuna gear.... bamfield is way cooler to fish tuna. whats another 20 miles. lol

easier to get to bam also.
Have to agree with Blair here...Bam is tuna town. Has everything that the others do on a smaller scale minus the paved road which make it way cooler...run your boat up the canal, awesome good times...lots of guys to buddy up with around that time as well

Tuna fishing is a finicky fishery ...impossible to say , go here or there at this time or that time...
its about the ocean current and where the warm water line is...could be as close as a couple miles off the Bank/in canyons or 2 miles off Cape cook or 20 miles or 100 miles out....time only will tell...there are a couple good web sites that show the warm currents...sorry i dont have them handy to post here but maybe someone does.?

Ok booked in the Kingfisher in Bamfield, 31 Aug to 3 Sept since it's tuna town :) Hopefully I can arrange moorage and meet a few tuna experts. Can't wait

Back