Tuna Talk

Here's a few shots of how to rig a free swinging hook on a Cedar Plug so the fish can't use the regular needle eye hook inside the body to lever the hook out.

I got this idea from a California board that seems to have deleted the photos originally put up-it's not my idea.

Like all good ideas it's as simple as can be-McMahon snaps that fit into the lure body.

I could only buy really big ones that didn't quite fit or mediums as shown-the black tape will work for a few fish/until I get some of the right size.

IMGP3109.jpg

IMGP3108.jpg

IMGP3110.jpg

Ironically the Mustad 95170 hooks as shown are being discontinued.

Thanks for posting those pic's. It's tricks like that that make fishing forumns so great.

Here is a link to the Washington Fish and game site section on Albacore tuna.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tuna/

It has some graph's on the bottom showing their typical migratory routes, spawning grounds, etc.

Looks like we are at the Northern tip of the migration route. Apparently this is data recorded from tagged fish. It would be interesting to see how they move around say from Southern Washington to the Charlottes once they are here.

great information Sculpin. Way to keep on top of the goods.

An interesting snippet...

"Albacore fishing in Washington is becoming more popular each year. In 2000, 884 anglers caught 7,416 albacore. By 2005, 1,509 anglers caught 13,163 albacore. In 2000, the average catch was 8.4 albacore per angler but, in 2001, the albacore catch averaged 13.1 albacore per angler. By 2005 the average catch was back at 8.7 albacore per angler"

Seems when you get to the Albacore playground, chances are pretty good!

great post!

its one of the last fisheries washington anglers have without tons of restrictions and the fish are much closer on average then ours

Anyone know about non-resident's migrating down there to fish for these things? I have been looking online and haven't seen anything except a non-residence license fee of 80 some odd dollars.

The one time I fished them out of Westport I never bought a licence at all but that may have changed.

A person used to need a license to fish them in WA state waters but not Federal legislated waters-which I think start @ 6 miles.

The one time I fished them out of Westport I never bought a licence at all but that may have changed.

A person used to need a license to fish them in WA state waters but not Federal legislated waters-which I think start @ 6 miles.

Thanks for the reply Dogbreath. Still looking into it.

Cheers
John

Last edited by a moderator:
John-if you call any of the charter operations in Westport-Lucky Pierre or the like-they'll fill you in

Guys from BC have been going down there to fish for decades now.

Carl Z

John-if you call any of the charter operations in Westport-Lucky Pierre or the like-they'll fill you in

Guys from BC have been going down there to fish for decades now.

Carl Z

Thanks Carl. I understand about fishing with a guide or charter boat but what about bringing your own boat down there and fishing unguided? I know there are campgrounds near a lot of the ports. I can't seem to find anything about non residence fishing unguided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sculpin, I found this:
"A general fishing license is required for an individual 15 years of age and over, unless fishing for albacore tuna, carp, crayfish and smelt. A shellfish license is required to take anything classified under state shellfish regulations, including sea cucumbers, seaweed, and even squid."

Haha it appears that you have to have a license for seaweed but not albi's!! I would check with these guys first to make sure though:

"Non-United States Citizens
If you are a Non US citizen without a driver's license or WILD ID, please contact WDFW at 360-902-2464 to purchase a Washington license."

Sculpin, I found this:
"A general fishing license is required for an individual 15 years of age and over, unless fishing for albacore tuna, carp, crayfish and smelt. A shellfish license is required to take anything classified under state shellfish regulations, including sea cucumbers, seaweed, and even squid."

Haha it appears that you have to have a license for seaweed but not albi's!! I would check with these guys first to make sure though:

"Non-United States Citizens
If you are a Non US citizen without a driver's license or WILD ID, please contact WDFW at 360-902-2464 to purchase a Washington license."

Some funny stuff in there for sure. I printed off the Washington regulations just to read up on them and try to find out about non resident fishing down there. Some of the charter outfits say on their websites that you are required to buy a license to go on their tuna charters. I might call them and ask if non resident anglers can fish unguided.

Was down at Bellingham Port today and ran into a friend, who had a friend with him that fished Tuna last october out of Westport. Private venture, but they ended up around 40 miles out to fish them (with great success, boated 40 fish).

They fished live anchovies. Picked em up from a place in Westport, and once they reached the blue water, just drifted with the waves and fished the live chovy. He said the a lot of the time, he would have only 3 pulls of line out (reel on freespool with a small hook set in the chovy) before they would get a ferocious bite. Very little waiting, chovy in, fish on.

Was great to talk to him and hear the tactics he used. At times the bite would stop for them, but the reason was quite clear, within minutes they would spot a blue shark lurking.

Ran it in a 26' NRiver.

Great chat!

@Finished Business

There are many folks who have great success jigging for tuna as well...very cool to hear.

DHA.

Was down at Bellingham Port today and ran into a friend, who had a friend with him that fished Tuna last october out of Westport. Private venture, but they ended up around 40 miles out to fish them (with great success, boated 40 fish).

They fished live anchovies. Picked em up from a place in Westport, and once they reached the blue water, just drifted with the waves and fished the live chovy. He said the a lot of the time, he would have only 3 pulls of line out (reel on freespool with a small hook set in the chovy) before they would get a ferocious bite. Very little waiting, chovy in, fish on.

Was great to talk to him and hear the tactics he used. At times the bite would stop for them, but the reason was quite clear, within minutes they would spot a blue shark lurking.

Ran it in a 26' NRiver.

Great chat!

Cool chat you had there for sure. That live bait must be a blast. A few of my buddies have done it in Mexico and said it is so fun. I haven't tried it yet. I was reading about the trolling thing and when you get a fish on wait a bit till you know for sure your not going to get a multiple hook up then stop the boat and chum or bait the water and while folks are reeling in the troll caught fish others on board cast out swim baits etc. Hope to try something like that this year.

Definitely something we want to try as well. the speed and power of those fish would be a blast to light tackle fish.

From osama's tales the fishing seems to be better in later season. He had mentioned the notion that we had hit the main body of fish, and hearing my friends tale of the same week we fished, it leads me to believe there is some truth to that.

I've read a thread on here that there is one place on the WC to get live herring. Still unsure if it is legal to fish live bait up here in Canada, and if not, does that change after 25 miles or so when hunting tuna?

Never thought to ask about whether we need a liscence to fish their waters, but I don't imagine his knowledge would have gone so far as to answer it confidently.