Tuna Talk

I ran 6' 200 lb leaders on all my clones last season. I find it much easier with the shorter leaders to manage and gaff fish.

Cheers,

Who else is monitoring Terrafin like a mad man? The water is starting to look better. There's a small range of 59F water that's running up the entire coast now with perhaps an occasional break in it here and there. The water off the S. Oregon coast is looking good to me already but I haven't yet seen an albie report from down there. I just spent the weekend reorganizing and stowing all my tackle and I've got tuna on the brain. I think we got our first tuna last year in early July. I might try a late June trip this year.

Agree with harper44, go shorter on your leader Sculpin for the reasons described. The fish don't care about the 4 feet. No doubt the heavy swivel creates a small bubble trail, maybe a closer lure puts it in a thicker trail!? lol...

5-6 feet, you can suck em up to the rod and there is no pulling in extra leader to get the fish to the point of heaving him in. 200lb easy on the hands.

Who else is monitoring Terrafin like a mad man? The water is starting to look better. There's a small range of 59F water that's running up the entire coast now with perhaps an occasional break in it here and there. The water off the S. Oregon coast is looking good to me already but I haven't yet seen an albie report from down there. I just spent the weekend reorganizing and stowing all my tackle and I've got tuna on the brain. I think we got our first tuna last year in early July. I might try a late June trip this year.

Yes I am monitoring it about twice a week lol. That is a big patch of warm water down in Oregon right now and it looks deep (as in keeps going West). There is a lot of chatter going on in your neck of the woods with folks jockeying for position at all the ports and getting ready for the first shot at them.

Agree with harper44, go shorter on your leader Sculpin for the reasons described. The fish don't care about the 4 feet. No doubt the heavy swivel creates a small bubble trail, maybe a closer lure puts it in a thicker trail!? lol...

5-6 feet, you can suck em up to the rod and there is no pulling in extra leader to get the fish to the point of heaving him in. 200lb easy on the hands.

I will go with the 6' length. Going to have everything ready to go in case we get an early shot at them. I'm tying up some extra handlines of different lengths etc. as well to get some more lures in the spread.

I have always fished long leaders as a "just in case" precaution but If it is not necessary I will not bother. I have had 100# test break on the handlines so I will be staying at 200# for those. The only new thing for me this year will be the use of fluorocarbon. Where can a guy get some of that?

Will be laying all my lines out it the yard this week checking lengths and retying everything.

Just got back from a mainland trout trip so back on the terafin.

This year I will be running diveboards but will also be trying the dipsy divers as well for when I ran them last year their ;pull to the side feature worked really well. I am hoping to get some good spread from these. The only thing I have not settled with the dipsy diver is the release function. I dont think it comes undone without a fish pulling on it so they have to go on handlines. Even by hand these are very difficult to retrieve at trolling speed.

I love the early season fishing. Seems to be way less weeds so just put down the gear and enjoy the day. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm salivating at the thought of tuna season. I can almost hear the reels screaming. Wish I could make it down to that PSA even. I've heard it's a good learn

John,

Are you going to start a 2013 Tuna Trips thread? I just got off the phone with a couple of guys and made tentative dates for two trips in July out of Bamfield. Lets get the ball rolling for buddy boats!

Cheers,

Maybe not as heavy as you would like? but I bought some of this brand ( made in Japan ) in various tests. Used some already as hoochie leaders - beats Seaguar hands down!
http://www.fishingtackleoutlet.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=e80

Thanks for that. Good price too!

Thought I would post this smokin deal on these smaller clones one more time. Last year I had one of these and it outfished all the other lines by a long shot!

http://www.tackledirect.com/boone-tuna-eyes-rigged-lure-kit.html

I loaded up on these and will be fishing these more than the larger ones for certain.