tuna fishing

BTW - the most recent satellite images of water temp and chlorophyl have me predicting that the first sport caught tuna in N oregon will happen this week with WA to follow within 2 weeks. I think by early to mid July, they should be reachable out of Renfrew (if things keep shaping up as they are). Commercial catches about 120miles off of Oregon are already starting to happen.

Thanks for posting, one of the better albacore videos I've watched lately. And Seadna, thanks for the info/predictions. Looking forward to your report when you get out there.

I took a couple weeks longer than I predicted but the tuna are in at least from Westport south. The first tuna in Westport hit the docks on Thurs. Several boats out of Ilwaco found tuna on Friday and Saturday. Fish appear to be more abundant in Newport OR and Girabaldi. There are undoubtedly tuna farther north but no-one in WA can launch from Neah Bay or La Push (except for first Nations folk) so no-one in WA will be targeting them in the northern portion of the state. Also, it looks like the warm water hasn't quite made it up that far. Nonetheless, there will probably be tuna to be had by running south-west out of Ukee next weekend if the weather/water permits it and they only getting more and more abundant as the season goes on.

Willie Mitchell just posted an instagram story of getting into the Tuna out of Tofino.
I had a trip booked for washington sept 22 that will be a no go. Is it worth lining up a charter in BC that late in sept or not worth it? If so who knows how to get on them? never been and i have the itch.

Willie Mitchell just posted an instagram story of getting into the Tuna out of Tofino.
I had a trip booked for washington sept 22 that will be a no go. Is it worth lining up a charter in BC that late in sept or not worth it? If so who knows how to get on them? never been and i have the itch.

Tuna out of Tofino this year already or a trip from last year? Water still looks a bit cold up here. Oregon and S.Washington are getting them in numbers now.

Charters for tuna are difficult to come by in BC especially later in September. The tuna are usually still around but the charter businesses seem to close up shop.. Let me know if you find someone willing to book for tuna only and not risk weather forcing you to settle for salmon/halibut. Being flexible in the days you have available helps of course, and a charter likely isn't booked back to back days in September and would also be flexible.

Tuna out of Tofino this year already or a trip from last year? Water still looks a bit cold up here. Oregon and S.Washington are getting them in numbers now.

Charters for tuna are difficult to come by in BC especially later in September. The tuna are usually still around but the charter businesses seem to close up shop.. Let me know if you find someone willing to book for tuna only and not risk weather forcing you to settle for salmon/halibut. Being flexible in the days you have available helps of course, and a charter likely isn't booked back to back days in September and would also be flexible.
The only way a charter can and will book a trip for tuna is with the option to fish for other species with the weather dictates it.

Do you expect him to burn a valuable day in a short season to cancel the whole day just because it's windy 40-50 miles offshore but not in close?

The only way a charter can and will book a trip for tuna is with the option to fish for other species with the weather dictates it.

Do you expect him to burn a valuable day in a short season to cancel the whole day just because it's windy 40-50 miles offshore but not in close?

No, I don't expect him to waste a day of his time. It's business. And I doubt he expects me to waste my time and money.

;);););)
Looking forward to trying this out this year....Derby....gear? :)
Looks like Oli will be holding a bit of a tuna derby September 5th and 6th out of Winter Harbour. We are booked in sept 3rd to 13th. Should be good times, last year at the same time we did very well, 6 of us boats brought in 234 Albies and back at the dock by 2:30. If you want to pop your cherry, that’s the place and time to go! An awful lot of camaraderie between boats and guides up there. Lots of intel, and safety in numbers. Last September we were able to get out 4 of the 7 days, and no more than 30 miles to get into lots of fish. Highly recommended! And I would be more than happy to share my thoughts on gear requirements.

;);););)
Looks like Oli will be holding a bit of a tuna derby September 5th and 6th out of Winter Harbour. We are booked in sept 3rd to 13th. Should be good times, last year at the same time we did very well, 6 of us boats brought in 234 Albies and back at the dock by 2:30. If you want to pop your cherry, that’s the place and time to go! An awful lot of camaraderie between boats and guides up there. Lots of intel, and safety in numbers. Last September we were able to get out 4 of the 7 days, and no more than 30 miles to get into lots of fish. Highly recommended! And I would be more than happy to share my thoughts on gear requirements.
What do you feel is the minimum boat size? I have a 20’ Grady White with a single 225 and 15hp kicker

;);););)

Have to say the very cool thing is how everyone works together.

What do you feel is the minimum boat size? I have a 20’ Grady White with a single 225 and 15hp kicker
I feel that your boat is probably adequate for tuna for most days, we might fight a bit of weather on the way out if we know it’s going to lay down in the afternoon. I have a pursuit 2470, and we have run up to 80 miles for the long fins! All about having buddy boats, and keeping in touch, also having all your proper engine services completed prior to the trip. Fuel is also something to think about. Gerry cans if you don’t have a large tank. I hold 100 gallons, and 80 miles out and back as well as trolling at 7mph used 90 gallons. Just some suggestions.

I'm in this year for sure. I booked time off and have a pretty big window so hope it works out. Still trying to decide whether to do the Tofino or Bamfield Derbies (same week) or just hook up with a few buddy boats and run from up Island somewhere. I could modify my time a bit and do Oli's derby but I don't know the area or details on the what and where part up there. Shorter run would be nice but not a big deal within reason. Any intel would be good.....thanks

Start here, https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...at-for-albacore-tuna.76990/page-2#post-954407

Lots more info on other fishing forums based out of the US. Boat size is a moving target. No boat of any size or type is 100% safe so it depends what your risk level is (for yourself and subjecting on to others, including our coast guard).
I’ve followed that thread but will go through it again. I liked that a bunch of boats head out from Oli’s. Safety in numbers.

Back