Tuna fishing with an under 28' boat

steel

Is there an affordable used older boat that is good to go tuna fishing that is under 28 feet? 40 miles or so offshore. A boat that is less than 20K?
Thanks for your thoughts.

a boat less than 20k? no, ill take the heat and say you wont find a tuna worthy boat for that price tag. under 28' yes easy.

Disagree. Your power is key...A solid hull and good power under 28 will do the job. I am planning to run for Tuna in the boat I am modifying...I should be on the water for about 15k and thats WITH a new powerplant @ 24' long...

Tuna is a pick your day fishery IMO. Not many will run out if the conditions are looking less than good. I think Birdsnest said it best, "if you can't do 20knots out, its not worth going" That far offshore though I'd make sure your ducks are in a row...there are very few second chances out there if **** goes to hell or the weather does not cooperate, you could be in serious, unreturnable trouble.

...my thoughts..

????? really

Disagree. Your power is key...A solid hull and good power under 28 will do the job. I am planning to run for Tuna in the boat I am modifying...I should be on the water for about 15k and thats WITH a new powerplant @ 24' long...

Tuna is a pick your day fishery IMO. Not many will run out if the conditions are looking less than good. I think Birdsnest said it best, "if you can't do 20knots out, its not worth going" That far offshore though I'd make sure your ducks are in a row...there are very few second chances out there if **** goes to hell or the weather does not cooperate, you could be in serious, unreturnable trouble.

...my thoughts..

What about an older (late 70's early 80's) Hourston, Double Eagle, Sangster around 22-23 feet? If one can be found in good condition it should be under 20K. I suppose a debate could start about I/O s, but one of these boats should be affordable and safe if extra fuel is carried.

When you say boat for under $20k do you mean just boat and motor. Then yes. But if it's all in then no. By the time you are all in I would say you are more in the $30k range to be doing offshore safely. Just a good gps, radar, VHF is going to be $2-5k plus a descent trailer and the boat and motor are now more in the $12-15k range and as others have said when offshore you want good power, as that is your lifeline. The way I look at going offshore, is you are going on your own and if the **** hits the fan can you save yourself, because that is what it will more then likely going to be. I fish offshore (20-30 miles) about 10-15 days a year. I have 2 gps plus 1 on my iPhone, 2 VHF, 1 with AIS, plus radar all the safety gear,floater suits for 3,and that is as far as I go with what I have. If I was to go more than that I would want a raft and ebirb or SPOT. Floater suits for all on board and a very knowledgeable crew. IMO

I know I'd feel safe enough on Last Chances podded twin zuki 26' Hourston!
I would feel safe to in Kelly's boat but I would bet that its a lot more the 20k

You are right, probably way more.
I started my 24' Zeta with the $5500.00 investment.
Redundant x 2 on all electronics!
Double HDSs, VHFs, Radar, lights, total new wiring job with tinned marine wire and soldered/shrink tubed connections, rebuilt the leg/bellows, aluminium fuel tank, radar mount and rocket launchers, 2 x 30" scotties and 1 x 60", almost to the 15.000 mark and I won't take it offshore until I pod it with twin power!

sorry my numbers previously posted are more likely to be around 20k (without electronics, safety equip, tackle, ect ect ect.). Bare boat and power (I/O) 20ish..

In order of priority IMO:

1: New or pretty new/modern power, secondary power 15+kicker or more, again modern, Tried and true fuel system with raycor, 2 radio's, 2 compass, 2 GPS, Radar Reflector, All the legally required equipment( flares, lifejackets, lights etc)
2: Raydar, Eperb of some kind, floater suits, Twins,

I think it may be hard to do for $20k but there are other factors to consider. Buddy boating is certainly and advantage but I am not really interested in towing some one back because their 1996 evenrude craped out and there kicker is only pushing them 3 kn. No thanks. If i break down I do not plan on being towed back. I always keep in mind how long of a trip back it will be on my kicker at 8 kn at the most. 30kn is a 5.5 hour trip on my kicker.

I have a rule for buying old boats and that is never pay money for the hull, only pay for the power.

Could you post the breakdown on the cost for your build Finished Buisness?

????? really

Ya, what is the question???

A decent C-Dory or Tolman Skiff in the 22 foot range might be had for that money, but likely closer to 25-30k. I understand that many people fish them offshore. And you won't go broke putting fuel in them.

I think you could probably get into just a hull and power for that much. It's all the other things that you need that make it add up quite quickly.

I usually think along these lines basically.

1) A good solid hull preferably with self bailing decks (something that is going to keep you afloat).
2) Power and fuel system (something that will get you there but most importantly get you back)
3) Safety equipment
4) Electronics
5) Fishing tackle (last because if you don't have all of the above you shouldn't be offshore fishing).

A 23 Hourston would be a good platform to work from. If the hull, stringers, transom, and tanks were sound.

It is up to you to have your boat in order and **** wrapped tight when heading that far offshore. I agree with Birdsnest that buddy boating is the ideal way to go and I wouldn't be thrilled either to have to tow someone if they hadn't done their due dilligence. In other words it's pretty serious stuff and you have no business being out there if your hull, motors, systems, and gear are not functioning 100%.

It helps for other in the fleet as well to know they are out with boats that will make it back and makes the day that more enjoyable. Birdsnest had his radio go on the fritz on the Labour day long weekend and we were all worried just about that little thing. So I hope you get what I mean.

Anyways some more food for thought.

Cheers,
John

Another thing to consider when going offshore for tuna is weight. You will have more fuel than normal and than there is ice. I'm not totally up on the tuna thing, but I would say with a I/B you would want about 100-200+/- gallons of fuel and about the same in ice. So say a extra 300-400 lbs that you normally wouldn't have on board. The other thing is were is all that going to be stored in a boat under 28 ft. On my boat that becomes a problem and I'm 23 ft and the cooler is mounted on the swim grid. Not sayin it can't be done just something to keep in mind.

I think you could probably get into just a hull and power for that much. It's all the other things that you need that make it add up quite quickly.

I usually think along these lines basically.

1) A good solid hull preferably with self bailing decks (something that is going to keep you afloat).
2) Power and fuel system (something that will get you there but most importantly get you back)
3) Safety equipment
4) Electronics
5) Fishing tackle (last because if you don't have all of the above you shouldn't be offshore fishing).

A 23 Hourston would be a good platform to work from. If the hull, stringers, transom, and tanks were sound.

It is up to you to have your boat in order and **** wrapped tight when heading that far offshore. I agree with Birdsnest that buddy boating is the ideal way to go and I wouldn't be thrilled either to have to tow someone if they hadn't done their due dilligence. In other words it's pretty serious stuff and you have no business being out there if your hull, motors, systems, and gear are not functioning 100%.

It helps for other in the fleet as well to know they are out with boats that will make it back and makes the day that more enjoyable. Birdsnest had his radio go on the fritz on the Labour day long weekend and we were all worried just about that little thing. So I hope you get what I mean.

Anyways some more food for thought.

Cheers,
John
Very well put especially the part about serious stuff and to have your **** together and that also means how to use all you safety gear and electronics and also how to get home with out them if the **** hits the fan

I guess the most basic question is this, 'what hulls around 22-24' are affordable?" If the power is crap, then a guy buys new/different power. But the hull is the hull, its design is the way it is, no changes there. So what hull?

That was 2 radios down on that trip. I guess I should have checked my back up hand held before I went but it had always worked before. Dang!
This is why I wear my PLB around my neck while I am out there. Maybe I should get a second PLB? That would be like a life boat on a lifeboat... a bit much.

Back