Tug-and-barge fuel shipments through B.C.'s Inside Passage 'a disaster waiting to hap

Heiltsuk-call-for-tanker-ban-to-include-fuel-barges-amid-ongoing-leak-in-Great-Bear-Sea.gif

Last edited:
yikes! just glad the barge was not full of fuel as well. Could have been a hell of a lot worse.... not that what happened is not terrible in and of itself. Certainly will have ramifications and will be interested to see what those are in days and weeks ahead. Glad nobody was injured and once again good to see the local first responders on site quickly.

sure does.
If it can happen with a tug and barge, it can happen with a tanker carrying dilbit. this should be easy to cleanup compared to a tanker yet response is more than 24 hrs away coming from prince rupert. with strong tidal movements, strong winds, and currents, the damage has and will be done
yup, world class response... pretty inadequate and always will be...

this video below was only posted a little while ago. interesting that it was predicted there would eventually be problems with what this tanker (or if you want to call it a barge) was trying to do. (video from AA from first page.)
Interesting most people only become outraged after it's too late... ie, exon valdez...

Last edited:
yikes! just glad the barge was not full of fuel as well. Could have been a hell of a lot worse.... not that what happened is not terrible in and of itself. Certainly will have ramifications and will be interested to see what those are in days and weeks ahead. Glad nobody was injured and once again good to see the local first responders on site quickly.
The first responders might have been on site quickly but where is the World Class spill responce. From what I can see from the video they are just observing.

The first responders might have been on site quickly but where is the World Class spill responce. From what I can see from the video they are just observing.
My understanding is that as far as response goes - you have to go through training provided by the 3rd party response company (a subsidiary of the oil companies and funded by them) Western Canada Marine Response Corporation (used to be called Burrard "Clean") - and have a cleanable (i.e. aluminum) hulled boat.

In addition - you have to sign-off a contract where "confidential information" received under the contract (including your observations and experiences) and any book keeping records must be honoured even after termination of the contract. No talking about the spill to anyone - from signing into infinity.

Last edited:
What's lost in all this is that essentially we have one of the thousands of commercial vessels that ply the inside passage run aground, nothing more! We aren't talking cargo fuel, rather just the vessels own propulsion fuel tanks. Imagine a cruise ship, coastal tanker or freighter. The spill would be much more devastating.

What's the answer? Close the inside passage to commercial traffic? If so how do coastal communities get their fuel and supplies? Are commercial fishing vessels, tugs and barges all banned. How about larger private vessels?

I guess it all comes down to what level of risk is acceptable and what level of mitigation would be sufficient.

People cannot be trusted to stay awake when running boats at night or any time by themsleves. It's just a human thing. Lots of ships have driven straight into land under autopilot. Think queen of the north......they weren't sleeping but you know what I mean. Brutal this just happened inside cape Swane mere mIles from cheany point. Thank god that barge was empty.

it will always be about financial compensation... once enough monies are paid to the bands,, its on.

Back