Tsawassen boat launch causeway cleanup??

mikeyman

Was down there today and what a freaking mess! Garbage! Everywhere. Even an old needle hidden in some rocks. Dont let your kids play there. Who is responsible for the area? Could organize a cleanup one day. To those who use it. Also to those who leave the mess. Wtf!

is that area native band land? could be their responsibility. if not give the city of delta a call and let them know about the garbage. especially the needles! frustrating ... i know...... dam slobs!

I read up on it a bit. I believe it is Native land to access it. The actual causeway is part of hwy 17 and BC ferries. I will try contacting them. Not that it will help much. I have seen big groups of people set up for the day, pack up and leave all thier **** behind. One day clean next day mess. Signage for fines. Couple of big garbage cans added might help a bit. Cant do much about junkies leaving thier **** behind.

I walked from 52 out to the ferry terminal. There is lots of garbage along the way. Hundreds of plastic seals that they use on the semi trailers. All printed with BC ferries on them. Maybe BC ferries could contribute to the cleanup, or at least organize it.

PS, I just emailed BC Ferries and asked if they would sponsor a cleanup. I'll let you know what the response is.
I have seen a Parks fellow out there in the past. Maybe he needs to visit again and hand out a few fines.

PS, I just emailed BC Ferries and asked if they would sponsor a cleanup. I'll let you know what the response is.
I have seen a Parks fellow out there in the past. Maybe he needs to visit again and hand out a few fines.
BC ferries has wanted and would shut that beach lauch ramp in a heart beat if it wasn't for the natives, the commercial natives use the ramp. There have been numerous fires,vandalism etc. for years. Due to human feces on the beach BC ferries had to bring in port a potties and maintain them. If BC ferries gave you permission to clean up you would likely fall under their WCB so likely a liability issue.

BC ferries has wanted and would shut that beach lauch ramp in a heart beat if it wasn't for the natives, the commercial natives use the ramp. There have been numerous fires,vandalism etc. for years. Due to human feces on the beach BC ferries had to bring in port a potties and maintain them. If BC ferries gave you permission to clean up you would likely fall under their WCB so likely a liability issue.

Well if nothing else, maybe BC Ferries will send a crew out to pick up their plastic, garbage,etc. There was a fair amount. Made me wonder if whoever is hauling garbage from the terminal didn't have it properly secured. All those little plastic (BC Ferries) trailer seals are getting ground up along the shoreline. Have to wait and see if and when they respond.

I'd be down. Maybe we could get someone else to sponsor it if BC Ferries doesn't want to bite. I'm sure there's a local company out there that would want to score some public realtions brownie points. If they pay for the hotdogs and pop we'll let them put up a banner advertising their commitment to stewardship.

In the 70's we would stay overnight and launch first thing in the morning to fish Active Pass , you were allowed to park overnight then. Its such a gong show now, people catching and cooking undersize crabs,picking clams. DFO shows about twice a year there.

Checked the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup web site (shorelinecleanup.ca) and there is no cleanup scheduled for this area ( Tsa Ferry Terminal ) at this time. Anyone can initiate a cleanup for any area at any time by filling in a form on their website. Presumably they sort out the details with stakeholders & owners above the high water mark.

Comments , ideas ?

Good to know. Personally at this point I would rather wait and see if BC Ferries comes up with something due to the fact that some of the garbage is theirs. If they aren't interested, then the Shoreline Cleanup route would be a good option. So far, all I got back from BC Ferries was an automated response this morning. I'm still confident that they will want to be a good corporate citizen and show interest in doing something. Will keep you posted.

I got a response from Bc Ferries. They said they strive to have a clean property and will be passing it on to the terminal management team.

At least you got a response. Since receiving the BC Ferries automated reply on August 31, stating they will be in touch asap, I haven't heard anything. It would be nice to get some feedback from the "terminal management team " to see if they are actually going to do something. It may not be for a week or two, but next time I take the ferry, I'll walk along the shoreline and see how much BC Ferries garbage is still there. I'll take photos if the stuff is still there.

Finally got a reply from BC Ferries and they claim the terminal was contacted and a crew was sent out to clean things up. They said they have staff clean up along the causeway nightly, and perhaps garbage had built up during the time frame that I saw it. Based on what I've seen previously, I find it hard to believe they make much effort to clean things up.
Still need to get down there and have another look.

I grew up in Tsawwassen and the causeway has always primarily been used by "non locals", which is fine. But it's turned into a free campsite of sorts with car-toppers loaded up with traps. It's been a ****** scene for years and the vast majority of people using it have no respect(from my experiences there).

Back