Trophy XL QR Problem Question

Slabby20

I had an issue with one of my Trophy XL QR's last week and was wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen or knows how to fix the problem.

While just reeing in my gear when my buddy hooked a fish the reel just locked up and wouldn't turn. I found that the drag knob had self tightened so tight that it was almost impossible to loosen. Taking the screw out didn't hep. I had to use some channel lock pliers to get it loose. I cleaned it, re-greased it, and tried it again. I watched the drag knob as I reeled. It shouldn't move. However, as I reeled, it was fine at first and then the drag knob started turning the same direction as I was reeling and started to lock the whole reel up again. Any ideas??

I have the same reel, but no problems with it so far. Very happy with it and it has caught quite a few this year. zero line creep and nice smooth drag. How old is the reel in question?

Oly

I have the same reel, but no problems with it so far. Very happy with it and it has caught quite a few this year. zero line creep and nice smooth drag. How old is the reel in question?

Oly

same here. have really enjoyed it and no issues. i would contact the vendor/manufacturer

I don't own any but I've used a friend's a lot. I seem to remember thinking the drag knob was broken once, but I had inadvertently flicked the freespool on. Flicked it back and it was all good again.

Sounds like a washer might be misplaced or missing? Will pm pictures of one apart if you cannot find the maintenance diagrams on line. Let me know. Have had two reels for three years without any issues.

Thanks for your reply's

I have two of the XL QR's. They are the original design, the ones with the small handles that would come off. I did Wolf's conversion on the handles to the larger paddle handles and have had absolutely no problems with either of the reels until this now. The one reel continues to work perfectly smooth, no line creep, etc.

Trophy. I will take them both apart side by side and compare the parts, washers etc. and see if I see anything. Maybe I screwed up and misplaced a washer or something when I cleaned and greased them earlier this season.

Sounds like a washer might be misplaced or missing? Will pm pictures of one apart if you cannot find the maintenance diagrams on line. Let me know. Have had two reels for three years without any issues.

You were right Trophy. Missing washer. Not sure when or how but sure enough missing. I replaced it today and good to go now. Thanks.

Ok so I've lost my Trophy Xl Tyee reel owners manual. It appears Ive misplaced a washer.... does anyone have a pdf I can have for the owners manual and maintenance. Cant find anything at all online for the company or reel!!

Any washer will work i accually got some from a old guy who does clock repairs and he gave me a bunch of different thickness ones , and can tell you i have added islnader springs which are a bit bigger so yo dont get any back lashing going on ...ive also customized them to make em so if your near sook e ill do them up for ya ....

Any washer will work i accually got some from a old guy who does clock repairs and he gave me a bunch of different thickness ones , and can tell you i have added islnader springs which are a bit bigger so yo dont get any back lashing going on ...ive also customized them to make em so if your near sook e ill do them up for ya ....

Islander spring was the best thing ever for this Trophy reel. Can’t forget the washer on top of the spring!

Wolf this appears to be what was causing my reel issue. It’s the “ spring washer” according to the schematics. Checked Home Depot etc and can’t find one that fits. I’m in Prince George ..... any ideas where to find one.

A6E60CA0-505A-406F-A52D-22D0849C5021.jpeg

id pound it straight on a hunk of metal (vise ) and call it good yes its a weird size it will be ok like I said I got some washers and a old clock repair old shop brass ones and SS ones basically think of it as a shim

Back