trophy fuel line/vent problems

I just got an 88 24 ft trophy alaskan bulkhead and I have issues. Took 45 min's to fuel her up and then first trip out for hali's, she takes on water through the vent line and fouls everything. I don't see many options for changing the current setup. Anyone with any ideas? Problem seems to be that there is such a long flat run to the tank after a short drop from the fill nozzle. Think I can figure out a way to cover the vent from splashes in the future but if there are better ideas out there, I am game.

Thanks in advance.

quote:Originally posted by blindpig69

I just got an 88 24 ft trophy alaskan bulkhead and I have issues. Took 45 min's to fuel her up and then first trip out for hali's, she takes on water through the vent line and fouls everything. I don't see many options for changing the current setup. Anyone with any ideas? Problem seems to be that there is such a long flat run to the tank after a short drop from the fill nozzle. Think I can figure out a way to cover the vent from splashes in the future but if there are better ideas out there, I am game.

Thanks in advance.

Is you tank vent situated within the filler nozzle or is it an external tank vent? Sounds like you are describing a vent that is inside the fuel filler nozzle. You could always relocate the vent to the exterior of the boat.

There are also some tank vents that allow air to pass through the vent, but stop fuel/water from entering the tank : http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/FUEL_SYSTEM-Fuel_Tank_Vents.html

TenMile
<'((((><

The vent is an external one right next to the filler nozzle. Both are on the back side of the boat. In fact, the previous owner installed a second vent and hose but tied it into the original vent line which accomplishes nothing but putting an extra hole in the back of the boat. Existing vents are obviously not working as they need to be when it takes 45 min to fill up. The pump keeps shutting down unless you allow only a trickle of fuel. Then there was the water issue. Will have to look at the other options on the site you left. Might help with the water problem but I don't know if it would help with the filling issue. Horrible design to have to run almost 3 feet at level to the fuel tank for both the fill line and the vent line.

Wonder if there is a way you could affix the vent hose so that it doesn't sit flat on your tank and runs up-hill from the tank to the vent? With one of those one way vents, water couldn't get in a run down to the tank, and any fuel that burps up would drain back into the tank again.

Incidentally, my Striper has the same issue -- about 4' of vent hose that lays flat on the tank. It got some fuel in it from a burp and I had to remove the hose and blow it out (yuck) so that I could fill the boat -- or it would take 45+ minutes. Once I blew the fuel out of the vent hose filling works like a charm.

TenMile
<'((((><

my trophy 1802 I fill up before going to bamfield from alberni Try to fill up in bamfield put 30 bucks in get back to alberni and put 15o in mine has a big air pocket in the front of the tanks

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I can't see any way to change the flat run. There's just no where else to run the hose. Comes off the top of the tank which is just below the floor and has to run just below the floor (ie. flat) until it gets right to the aft bulkhead then it's a short rise to the fill nozzle.

Don't know how big of a project it would be to move the fill hole from the back of the boat to the top of the same bulkhead or if it would even help. Would raise the fill hole about 8 inches or so but once again not sure if it would help. I think it's more about the long flat run. Anyway thanks again and if anybody happens to see this who has had the problem/this boat and found a fix, I'll keep checking back. There's a lot of these things out there and gotta believe someone has found a solution.

My boat is an 02 and i noticed my vent was causing slow fueling, I repalced the old 90 degree thru hull vent housing with a inline seadog vinal assembly. $3.99 part The problem was the stainless mesh screen in the old vent, along with the 90 degree elbow was plugging with salt, i am hoping the vinal screen in the new unit will not plug as easy, so far so good takes 300 liters in no time flat. Mine is run through the hull mid ship, stbd side below my fuel fill neck and has an inside inspection cover for easy accesss.

www.tailspincharters.com

Had the exact same problem with slow fill and found it was also my vent screen plugged with salt. New vent and it fills at max pump speed.

Move the fill to the floor over the tank and eliminate the 3 foot flat run and old filler.

Not the vent. I can completely disconnect the vent line...no difference. Nice idea Profisher but I believe what you suggest is illegal in the coast guard's eyes. Filler must be on outside edge or outside of boat. Anyone else with a fix???

I would check on that. I know that the whale watching rib out of Sooke (Sonar) has a filler on the inside of the hull...dead centre about 3 feet from the bow. He has to pass a yaerly inspection to operate.

quote:Originally posted by blindpig69

Not the vent. I can completely disconnect the vent line...no difference. Nice idea Profisher but I believe what you suggest is illegal in the coast guard's eyes. Filler must be on outside edge or outside of boat. Anyone else with a fix???

You disconnected the vent and you still can't fill? Did you disconnect it at the fuel tank? If so, sounds like maybe a blockage somewhere in your filler line -- a kink or something solid? Does the filler line run downhill all the way to the tank? Maybe fuel is sitting level in it? That would be the next thing to check.

Just a thought too, but if your fuel tank is opaque plastic maybe try to watch the fuel running into it. There might be something in the tank causing the fuel to foam. You might also be able to see the flow of fuel from the filler line.

It has to be something simple. Fuel goes in and air gets displaced. So either the fuel isn't getting to the tank as fast as the filler pushes it, or the air can't escape quickly enough....

TenMile
<'((((><

Thanks profisher...I will check.

TenMile...thats where I think the problem is. The run from the filler only drops about 6-8" right at the start then the fuel has to run flat for about 3 feet or so. I think the fuel just backs up in the line due to the flat run but as mentioned before, unless I can put a new filler somewhere inside the boat, I think I am stuck with 1 hr fill times. Not a pleasant prospect. Fuel line itself has been verified to have no blockage.
I did notice something interesting the other day. While dumping fuel in with some cans through a funnel, it was quicker than at the pump. Don't know if it was the extra foot plus of level due to the funnel or what. Now trying to figure out a way to create a filler extension that I can put in prior to filling. Maybe a section of fuel hose with a threaded end that will screw into the perko fuel filler? Is such a thing even made??

Thanks again everybody.

My old 24' Bayliner had same issues. Changed vent screens helped some. One trick I used was to have a buddy sit on swimgrid on opposite side from filler hole while fueling. The extra weight on the opposite side changed the angle on filler hose enough that it filled much quicker.

You gotta do something to get the fill time down. Could you imagine the dirty looks you would get if you were filling at say "Critter Cove" in Nootka or back in the day at "Kingfisher's" in Bamfield...holding up the long line of boats waiting their turn.

Doing everything I can. I don't want to be wasting valuable time filling while I could be fishing either. Why I figured I would ask you guys in addition to everything I have been trying.

Anybody know if there is a screw in fitting to fit the perko inlet nozzle(where the cap screws in normally)? I think it may work but I gotta find something that fits there and that I can put a fuel hose or something on the other end.

Back